Any Trip Hop and other related genre fans? Please Share!

Page 10 of 16 [ 241 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 16  Next

traven
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2017, 2:54 am

an' something from i dont no labels lands :scratch:

SnailHail
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Sep 2017, 6:21 pm

That Pink Floyd song does give off some trip hop vibes to me. I wonder if there is any psychedelic rock from those times that could be considered an ancestor of trip hop.

Anyway I've been listening to Gorillaz debut album a lot lately.

Sound Check (Gravity) sounds badass especially at the 0:39 mark when the tone shifts dramatically and at 3:00 as well, this is one of the few trip hop songs so far that gets me pumped instead of relaxed. I want to jog to this at night.

I really like the style for New Genius I haven't heard anything like, I can't tell if its a harmonica or violin being distorted but it gives off that ethereal feel, same for Man Research. The lyrics are pretty deep too.

I can hardly make out what Damon is saying but it just sounds so ethereal

G-sides album has some pretty good songs, I'm thinking of buying the CD later this year. Left Hand Suzuki method is a good song, the style sounds not too far off from being on Cibo Matto's first album. I can't help but laugh at bong rip in the beginning now that I know what the name of the song really means. It is a shame that besides this song, Faust and 19-2000 they're the only ones Miho Hatori is on while she was with the Gorillaz. I think she was on Tomorrow Comes Today as well since I can hear a faint female voice repeating "Tomorrow, tomorrow comes today" with Damon in the second half of the song. But even then it just shows how underutilized she was when she was with the Gorillaz.

Faust needs to be a longer song, I feel it cuts to short when the singing finally starts. It definitely could fit in with the first Cibo Matto album.

SnailHail
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Sep 2017, 3:15 am

I found another band that mixes trip hop with drum & bass and other electronic music genres.

madrigala
Butterfly
Butterfly

23 Sep 2017, 10:02 am

There's alot of rich experimentation going on in these genres. Hiatus Kaiyote, Kadhja Bonet and Jessy Lanza really interest me at the moment. I ought to mention Holly Herndon and Laurel Halo also!

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2017, 12:31 am

Dunno if you think neosoul and Dilla-fied UK hip hop is close enough tangent to be under this umbrella? Let me know if I'm stretching the margins here a bit much. Either way gorgeous rhodes.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

CyclopsSummers
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2017, 4:27 am

SnailHail, I am quite fond of Kosheen's debut album 'Resist'. Catch and Hide U were pretty big hits when I was in secondary school, so there's a lot of good memories there.

Are you excited about the upcoming Tokimonsta album 'Lune Rouge'? She started releasing some of the tracks in advance on her Youtube and Soundcloud accounts. I also recently heard that she was struggling with moyamoya disease, which can affect the brain due to certain blood vessels constricting. Last year she underwent surgery for it, which had the side effect of her temporarily losing the ability to comprehend both language and, perhaps more importantly, music. She managed to recover, but it must have been a truly terrifying experience. It's incurable and she must continue to undergo treatment and examinations.

Here's a track from the upcoming album, featuring Malaysian singer Yuna:

SnailHail
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Sep 2017, 5:08 pm

CyclopsSummers wrote:
SnailHail, I am quite fond of Kosheen's debut album 'Resist'. Catch and Hide U were pretty big hits when I was in secondary school, so there's a lot of good memories there.

Are you excited about the upcoming Tokimonsta album 'Lune Rouge'? She started releasing some of the tracks in advance on her Youtube and Soundcloud accounts. I also recently heard that she was struggling with moyamoya disease, which can affect the brain due to certain blood vessels constricting. Last year she underwent surgery for it, which had the side effect of her temporarily losing the ability to comprehend both language and, perhaps more importantly, music. She managed to recover, but it must have been a truly terrifying experience. It's incurable and she must continue to undergo treatment and examinations.

Here's a track from the upcoming album, featuring Malaysian singer Yuna:

I haven't followed Tokimonsta in a while this news is very shocking for me 8O I hope the disease doesn't get too bad and she does not have to get another brain surgery soon. I like that song though, Yuna sounds good. I'll go check out the rest of her songs in the upcoming album. I wonder if her losing her musical and language abilities going to allowed her to rediscover and discover new things.

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
Dunno if you think neosoul and Dilla-fied UK hip hop is close enough tangent to be under this umbrella? Let me know if I'm stretching the margins here a bit much. Either way gorgeous rhodes.

You're fine neo soul and Dilla style music is okay as long as it sounds like it is somewhere on the trip hop spectrum and that song definitely does. Speaking of J Dilla I remember when I discovered Crustation a couple of people were saying that they discovered Crustation through a song J Dilla remixed which was the song "Purple". I don't like it as much as the original but it is still good and I like how much more clearly I can hear Bronagh Slevin's voice which makes it more calm and mellow of the overall song. Mac Miller also sampled the song but I'm not feeling it.

madrigala wrote:
There's alot of rich experimentation going on in these genres. Hiatus Kaiyote, Kadhja Bonet and Jessy Lanza really interest me at the moment. I ought to mention Holly Herndon and Laurel Halo also!

I love Hiatus Kaiyote! I've mainly been listening to neosoul because of some of the trip hop vibes some songs have but Hiatus Kaiyote were able to pull me in without that. Have you ever listened to any Thundercat songs? Kadhja and Jessy sound great, I'll listen to more of them when I get the chance and I'm loving the Kadhja's song "Honey Comb".

SnailHail
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Sep 2017, 6:42 am

It has been a year now since this thread was made, over the year has this thread helped anyone discover or rekindle their love for trip hop and the many songs and artist among the genre.

For me I'm glad, this thread motivated me to find new artist and songs which lead to discoveries I never thought of like the combination of drum n bass and trip hop or the many artist with their own unique styles and sounds. Not to mention other genres with similar sounds. My overall music library has significantly expanded and now I have more songs to listen to to keep me from being burnt out on the ones I already know. I've been almost listening exclusively to this genre now that other genres are starting to sound "meh" or completely fresh to me.

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2017, 5:50 am

SnailHail
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Oct 2017, 5:23 am

I haven't listned to much of Emancipator but I'm digging "13 Father King" and "Lionheart".

Discovered Amon Tobin and I checked out his first album Bricolage he is a pretty good Drum & Bass/Trip Hop artist. I'm surprised no one listed him before he seems prominent.

CyclopsSummers
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2017, 4:04 am

I think the new Tokimonsta album is really cool. I'm listening to it now for the second time, and the only reason I haven't had it on re-repeat is that my earphones are busted and I'm broke so I can't replace them with new ones and I therefore can't listen to music on the road.

It's really chill and introspective, it has both vocal and instrumental tracks and it has plenty variation from track to track. I love the opening tandem of 'Lune' and 'Rouge', the first two tracks. It sets the stage perfectly for what's to come. I'll be giving this a lot of re-listens, it's already my favourite album of the year next to Foo Fighters 'Concrete and Gold'.

SnailHail
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Oct 2017, 2:24 pm

CyclopsSummers wrote:
I think the new Tokimonsta album is really cool. I'm listening to it now for the second time, and the only reason I haven't had it on re-repeat is that my earphones are busted and I'm broke so I can't replace them with new ones and I therefore can't listen to music on the road.

It's really chill and introspective, it has both vocal and instrumental tracks and it has plenty variation from track to track. I love the opening tandem of 'Lune' and 'Rouge', the first two tracks. It sets the stage perfectly for what's to come. I'll be giving this a lot of re-listens, it's already my favourite album of the year next to Foo Fighters 'Concrete and Gold'.

I just checked out the album on her Soundcloud and I really like "Bibimbap", "Rose's Thorn", "I Wish I could", "Lune" and "Rouge". You're right "Lune" and "Rouge" they're great opening songs and set the stage for whats to come. Unfortunately I'm disappointed with the song "We Love" it sounds like the typical modern pop song and it isn't really good or bad but just 'meh' :| especially knowing that Toki can do better than that.

SnailHail
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Oct 2017, 10:46 am

I noticed Deltron 3030 album is pretty similar to the debut self titled Gorillaz album. Probably because Dan The Automator was the producer for both of them and both albums feature Del The Funky Homo Sapien. I refrained from listing Deltron 3030 because I figured it was more in the realm of hip hop but now I'm starting to notice the trip hop influences. For example the Deltron 3030 song "Time Keeps On Slipping" sounds very similar to the songs "New Genius (Brother)" and "Man Research (Clapper). In fact "New Genius (Brother)" and "Time Keeps On Slipping" sound almost exactly the same since the instrumentals are vocals are very alike (Damon Albarn was doing the vocals in the background for both songs).

"Things You Can Do" is my favorite and I think its the best song on the album.

I like the opera influence on "3030" it would nice if more trip hop and hip hop songs used it.

"Turbulence" can easily pass for a trip hop song if you remove the rapping.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2017, 10:47 pm

Speaking of all that... Dan w/ Mike Patton:

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2017, 1:02 pm

SnailHail
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Oct 2017, 12:50 pm

Faithless sounds great, I've been digging that style of music lately, glad to know there is some other artist I can listen to. Trip hop mixed with other electronic music genres really is something special.

I listened to a few Lovage songs on that album. Dan The Automator is pretty underrated in my opinion, his style of trip hop and hip hop is pretty unique. I like some of the Western vibes he gives off in songs.

Like "Everyone Has A Summer"

I like the chills "Archie & Veronica" give off

I like the singer on "To Catch A Thief"

Have you heard of Pillowfight? It is one of Dan's most recent projects. I think the singer from "To Catch A Thief" is Emily Wells since they both sound exactly the same. This is a great album.

Used To Think is my most favorite on it, it is very catchy. The guy and Emily singing back at each other kinda gives off some sort of retro/swing vibe.

Rain is a close second, I the base at 1:14 is my favorite part. I especially like listening to this on rainy days.

If you don't mind the language for this one than "Get Your s**t Together" is a good song to listen too if you ever feel down.

I don't know who is the guy singing but I like him, he sets a more tense/edgy setting to the song.

I like the other singers that are singing along with Emily it creates a great harmony. 0:42 shows a great example of it

Get Down is a good workout/road trip song. Dan and Emily seem to be having too much fun in this music video