Any Trip Hop and other related genre fans? Please Share!

Page 7 of 16 [ 241 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 16  Next

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2017, 10:13 pm

Something that was thrown in on that D-Bridge set that I posted earlier (a few bpm faster though in the mix).

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

SnailHail
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 May 2017, 5:27 am

I went around to making a discog account and ordered a copy of Earthling's Humandust album it should be coming in the next week or two.

Anyway while looking for some Earthling stuff I found out the rapper of the band, Mau has also did some rapping/singing for another music trio called Telepopmusik. They do House, downtempo, and electronic music, it's an interesting sounding combo. The songs they have featuring Mau are pretty awesome although I'm a bit pissed at how underutilized Mau is in some of their songs.

Here are some of the songs featuring Mau. I think I like them even more than the Earthling songs! They sound even more alien like and out of this world. I hope Mau is featured in their next album!

Also listen to their most popular song Breathe it sounds pretty great.

SnailHail
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 May 2017, 8:02 pm

JRCriton wrote:

I love that mix and channel, that guy helped me find lesser known trip hop artist and songs. I was chilling and doing dishes to that mix during the summer.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2017, 11:04 pm

Manchester's been off the chain. I was familiar already with IAMDDB, this Lay tune knocked me on my ass though.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

Nights_Like_These
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2017, 12:47 am

SnailHail wrote:
JRCriton wrote:

I love that mix and channel, that guy helped me find lesser known trip hop artist and songs. I was chilling and doing dishes to that mix during the summer.

I'm pretty sure I mined that list for new stuff as well. lol It was good.

--Aldous Huxley

SnailHail
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 May 2017, 5:39 pm

Found another band called 8mm unfortunately they only did one EP dedicated to trip hop the rest of their songs are pop rock, alt country and hard rock.

The drum beat for this song was also used in Massive Attack's song Angel

This song features the rap rock band Chronic Future.

These sound pretty portisheadish

traven
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2017, 12:35 am

:shrug:

anything trancy; this is very strong but rather out this box

SnailHail
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 May 2017, 6:09 pm

traven wrote:
:shrug:

Where are you from if you don't mind me asking. I noticed you post a lot of foreign things but I can't tell where it is from exactly, it is just so ambiguous . You post some songs/artist I most likely would of never found on my own or several years later.

Now I'm motivated to have my next trip hop post contain more foreign styles.

traven
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2017, 12:12 am

dutch person in france, more british culture influenced (reggaeskadub) than american i suggest,
you tube finds these things, + music i know already (from disk, most likely, sound not that good on yt)
i found this now,
from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiKoPX7bIlg, which has a whole bunch of albums in the sideline, this is too electronic for me tbh

also eg. i got records from 80"s suns of arqa, some triphop before its name
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoOENkL4t4k
or other pioneers of this avenue, and lots of jamaican engineers, lee scratch perry, king tubby, scientist, etc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsbFKsEdc5Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYM4MFVuaKk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=937GFSXbcb0

SnailHail
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 May 2017, 11:12 am

Thanks your post got my brain flowing and I just remembered an album I found on youtube half a year ago. From some Hungarian guy named Gabor Szabo, this album could be considered an ancestor of trip hop. Especially the song Galatea's Guitar.

Someone on soundcloud added drum beats and now it sounds like a modern trip hop song.

SnailHail
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 May 2017, 1:09 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
Manchester's been off the chain. I was familiar already with IAMDDB, this Lay tune knocked me on my ass though.

Have you ever heard of Banks or Marian Hill? They seem like something up your alley. There is another artist/song on the tip of my tongue I can't seem to remember the name of right now.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2017, 7:18 pm

SnailHail wrote:
Have you ever heard of Banks or Marian Hill? They seem like something up your alley. There is another artist/song on the tip of my tongue I can't seem to remember the name of right now.

It sounds well produced but the angles aren't there. I mostly had the Goldilox tune I posted grow on me in context with the DBridge Slick Tapes mix I linked earlier (if you haven't heard that yet it's amazing). IAMDDB I wasn't quite sure about for the first few tunes, think my first exposure to her - like Children of Zeus - was through Lenzman, but I'm seeing where she's pulling here style together pretty sharply. LayFullTilt has some similar mashedup and stuttered beats but not so much in the one I posted - that's closer to being like a J-Dilla/Slum Village beat hack.

I think with female vocalists, like earlier with Sevdaliza, I like being taken to immersive and challenging places. It's a tough order so I usually don't spend a lot of time looking for new female vocalists to get into and when I do find them I consider it fortunate.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2017, 7:34 pm

This might be reaching outside the box again but Stray's been on fire the the last three or four years (he's also 1/3 of Ivy Lab alongside Sabre and Halogenix). He's got a promo mix for this EP, Paradise Crossing, on Soundcloud - really sharp selection.

SnailHail
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Jun 2017, 8:48 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
SnailHail wrote:

It sounds well produced but the angles aren't there. I mostly had the Goldilox tune I posted grow on me in context with the DBridge Slick Tapes mix I linked earlier (if you haven't heard that yet it's amazing). IAMDDB I wasn't quite sure about for the first few tunes, think my first exposure to her - like Children of Zeus - was through Lenzman, but I'm seeing where she's pulling here style together pretty sharply. LayFullTilt has some similar mashedup and stuttered beats but not so much in the one I posted - that's closer to being like a J-Dilla/Slum Village beat hack.

I think with female vocalists, like earlier with Sevdaliza, I like being taken to immersive and challenging places. It's a tough order so I usually don't spend a lot of time looking for new female vocalists to get into and when I do find them I consider it fortunate.

Huh I felt the same away about a couple of the songs you posted as well needing to grow on me. That DBridge mix on soundcloud felt meh to me but that The Levels song featuring DBridge sounded great though.

I found this Glass Animal song featuring Tei Shi in case you haven't heard it

SnailHail
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Jun 2017, 8:49 pm

I'm glad Gorillaz made a song like this on this new album, I wish they had more like it though

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2017, 9:27 pm

SnailHail wrote:
Huh I felt the same away about a couple of the songs you posted as well needing to grow on me. That DBridge mix on soundcloud felt meh to me but that The Levels song featuring DBridge sounded great though.

And I don't get it twisted. I think if I've learned anything about music and sharing it with other people in the last several years (I have a few friends who are veterans from here who get together and share on Facebook) it's that it'll constantly surprise you what people agree with you/me on and what they don't. For example I posted I think one of the more meaningful tunes I've heard in a while in terms of dnb, Monsters by Loxy, Resound, Blocks, and Esher. It seems like anything I'm 95% on other people are 45 or 50% on but we all agree on what we're 75 or 80% on. It's weird like that.

In other words yeah - I'd fully expect us to differ in tastes at a certain level, it's one of those things along with death and taxes you can pretty much guarantee. You're good people! Keep up the good work and keep finding more beats. :)

SnailHail wrote:
I found this Glass Animal song featuring Tei Shi in case you haven't heard it
[/quote]
That is gorgeous and thank you for the share. TBH one of the things I've been annoyed by is people going after her like she's the Carlos Mencia of pop music. She did have one tune early on where it's pretty convincing that she bit someone's style and - it's a free mp3/download in acapella on her Soundcloud. At the same time - she wouldn't be able to come up with the rest of this if she didn't have the talent to float on her own merit.