What in the world is "adult relationship" supposed to mean?

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2016, 10:08 am

Pretty much since I was also enough to understand what dating was---but especially in the last eight years---I heard people talk with foam at the mouth about an "adult relationship". Be it wanting one, actively looking for one, or currently being in one. About how an "adult relationship" is the be all and end all, the ultimate goal, the alpha and omega. Along with trashing people who dislike the idea of it. It's usually women who did this, but the term is largely gender-neutral. (Sometimes, the synonym "mature relationship" was used, but it referred to the exact same thing.)

So what is the world is "adult relationship" supposed to actually mean? Probably not literally, as in "relationship between two people 18 or older", considering how the term was coined by non-literal-minded NTs. (As contrasted with a "teenage relationship" between two high schoolers.) Probably not in way it's used in media ratings, to mean there is sex involved. (After all, teenagers have sex too nowadays.) Then what?

If my aspie understanding of the term "adult relationship" is anywhere near correct, then it means this: once an "adult relationship" begins, all fun must end immediately and permanently, and something else must replace it. All this is ironic: when I was a kid, I viewed anything "adult" as an endless battery of hedonistic pleasure. An now, I feel a sense of dread when pairing it with the word "relationship". (But not, for example, the word "video". ;)) I remember my parents' marriage being like that when I was growing up, and I'm seeing the same thing in my friends' LTR's now. All of whom, I suppose, have very adult relationships.

Let's treat this like a dictionary, to understand the term better. We already have an synonym: it's "mature relationship". So what would an antonym of "adult relationship" be? Fun relationship? Teenage relationship? Carefree relationship? None of these make good antonyms, it seems. Help me out here, folks.

Fortunately, I'm currently friends with a 22-year-girl I recently met. Even though we flirt constantly, we're still just friends. Which means she can introduce me to girls close to her age. With whom a relationship, adult or otherwise, will quite likely be more pleasant, even though they're as much adults as I am, and I wouldn't have it any other way. I can see myself enjoying an "adult relationship" when I'm 55 or older, but absolutely not before then. By then, my 22-year-old friend will be 44, and hopefully, will motivate me to keep some of my younger interests. (Jury is still out on her husband's age and interests.)

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2016, 10:25 am

Who is saying this to you btw? I always thought that guys were given a free pass to be footloose and fancy free bachelor boys.

No one in my life is pressuring me to have a relationship.

So I'm just curious. You seem to need to vent about it a lot. Is it pressure you're putting on yourself? Do you see others lives and does the bafflement turn to annoyance that they don't understand the way you live.

You need to be you. You can't be anyone else.

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2016, 10:40 am

hurtloam wrote:
So I'm just curious. You seem to need to vent about it a lot. Is it pressure you're putting on yourself? Do you see others lives and does the bafflement turn to annoyance that they don't understand the way you live.
No and no. This time, I just want to understand the term "adult relationship" dictionary-style. Because I hear that term constantly, but no one seems willing to explain it to me. They either expect me to "just get it" or say "you'll know when it happens". So I'm trying to understand the definition, so I know the society expects me to be in.

lidsmichelle
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2016, 11:32 am

Idk adult relationship to me implies more emotional maturity and for it to be more real. A lot of relationships people have when they're younger (my own pasts ones included) are more frivolous and lack proper communication. When you're in an adult relationship I feel like that's when you're both more ready for something truly serious, even if it isn't settling down or moving in together.

That's just my opinion. I'm in what I'd consider an "adult relationship" right now and I'm very happy with it.

Herein You Will Find Various And Numerous And Innumerable Hexes, Curses, Words In The Old Tongue To Cleave A’Twain Friend, Foe, Family Alike. If You So Choose. Money Hates Me, God Hates Me, My Wife Hates Me, My Own Hands Hate Me. But Thats All Beside The Point. The Point Is That My Time Here On Earth Runs Short. Im Not Dying But You All Are. Im A Glass Of Wine. Nothing Beats A Glass Of Wine. When The Kids Arent Home And Your A Mother Theres A Glass Of Wine There. A Glass Coffee Table And I’m A Glass Of Wine. Stressful Day When The Kids And you're Husband Then Glass Of Wine. Dark Chocolate Indulge. Petty Indulgences. When you're A Glass Of Wine And Let The Body’s Hit The Floor. When Your Glass Of Wine Is Running Short And You Say Heck What Of It. Why Dont I Have Another. Bartender I Am A Glass Of Wine. Bottoms Up And The Devil Laughs. The Bartender Remembers When It Happened. They All Remember When It Happened And If They Knew That You Dont Remember Then They Would Know That Something Is Awry Here Or So They Would Think. Something Would Be Amiss Or Smells Fishy. So Theyre All Relating There Stories Of Where They Were When That Event Happened And The Eyes Move Clockwise About The Room Where We All Share Our Glass Of Wine And Suddenly The Clock Ticks To You And They Ask The Fatal Question That Destroys Your Reputation, The Question You Could Never Answer, The Dead Giveaway: Where Were You When The Bodies Hit The Floor

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2016, 1:31 pm

My personal take on it is that an adult relationship is when you find someone you want to stay with. It's serious in the way of being something you don't want to let go of. Serious doesn't have to mean no fun. It just means it's not just shagging. There's more to it.

Unfortunately a lot of people try and have adult relationships with the wrong person. They do it because they reach an age where they think they're Meant to settle down.

But with the wrong person it's a difficult struggle. I mean all relationships have ups and downs, nothing is perfect, but the wrong person makes it so much more difficult.

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2016, 3:28 pm

What's really ironic, is what when I was 18---nowhere near "adult" maturity, outside of legal documents---I wanted an "adult relationship" more than anything. All just like hurtloam described: fully dedicating myself to my girlfriend, and intending to stay with her for years. Was she a wrong person? Definitely so. I didn't find her attractive, and found myself bored with her very quickly (she didn't like going out and exploring, like I did). But I kept seeing her anyway, until the relationship fell apart a few months later. She must have picked up on my hidden resentment somehow. My social awkwardness too, I presume.

The reason for my feelings is that I "knew" that no one else will ever like me again, so settling down with this girl seemed like the right thing to do. Not to mention I lacked the social skills needed to find casual relationships, which are more common in college, so I settled for a serious relationship instead. Even before I met her, I somehow thought a committed relationship, as opposed to a fling, would be easier to find, and even trained myself to want one.

Today, I did a complete 180: I'm terrified of "adult relationships", very thing I once desired.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2016, 4:12 pm

Well, you had a bad experience. It's like when someone meets an angry dog when they're young and then all dogs become potentially vicious, even the fun, affectionate ones.

I don't know what the way around this is. I think you'd be happy with the right person. Someone spontaneous who likes going on trips and visiting interesting places.

Some people are just happy with mundane things and that's OK. Some people want a bit more adventure in life and that's OK too.

It sucks when you feel different to the people around you. I feel like that sometimes. I want to have a more active lifestyle. But no.one seems to want to do anything anymore. My friends are getting old, but I'm still wanting to go out and explore. There are parts of England I've never been to. I'd like to visit the hills of Derbyshire or maybe the Highlands of Scotland or the outer Hybrides or even Iceland or Norway.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2016, 4:57 pm

^ Social life stops when most of your friends get married.

Couples do things together.

That's another ugly consequence of chronic singleness.

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2016, 5:57 pm

hurtloam wrote:
Well, you had a bad experience. It's like when someone meets an angry dog when they're young and then all dogs become potentially vicious, even the fun, affectionate ones.
You hit the nail on the head. I remember how even on my first date with this girl, when we went to a river promenade, she didn't want to do anything there. Take quick boat tour? No. Go on a carnival ride? No. We finally agreed on getting food and sitting by the river. All I could think: "Oh my god! This is a relationship?" Sadly, I felt like I had no other choice but her, because I couldn't imagine the possibility of another girl (read: more fun and/or better-looking) ever liking me. This frustrating relationship, adult or otherwise, lasted for a few months, then fell apart. I was still upset about it, due to how desperate I was at the time.

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Not for me. The bulk of my social life has migrated over to Meetup, a social event organization site. It's very big in US and Canada right now. Even though people there are more like acquaintances than friends (although true friendships do form), it provides a wonderful social outlet for people like me, whose friends are all in relationships, where going out is discouraged or looked down upon.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2016, 4:17 pm

Aspie1 wrote:
hurtloam wrote:
You hit the nail on the head. I remember how even on my first date with this girl, when we went to a river promenade, she didn't want to do anything there. Take quick boat tour? No. Go on a carnival ride? No. We finally agreed on getting food and sitting by the river. All I could think: "Oh my god! This is a relationship?" Sadly, I felt like I had no other choice but her, because I couldn't imagine the possibility of another girl (read: more fun and/or better-looking) ever liking me. This frustrating relationship, adult or otherwise, lasted for a few months, then fell apart. I was still upset about it, due to how desperate I was at the time.

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Not for me. The bulk of my social life has migrated over to Meetup, a social event organization site. It's very big in US and Canada right now. Even though people there are more like acquaintances than friends (although true friendships do form), it provides a wonderful social outlet for people like me, whose friends are all in relationships, where going out is discouraged or looked down upon.

Well, you're lucky then, not everyone live in such mega-nations in proximity to such organizations.