Page 3 of 4 [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Shahunshah
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2016, 6:00 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
You will not like it but I have "friended" Boycott Autism Speaks.

I've also done that as well. I look forward to the feeds that I get from them, especially every time April rolls around.
Great but are their many Autism Speaks supporters on the forum or would I alone in this?

Last edited by Shahunshah on 02 Oct 2016, 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2016, 6:01 pm

I might even be doing Red Instead for the entire month of April next year, by using images of The Kinks in their red jackets for avatars the whole month.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2016, 6:02 pm

Shahunshah wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:

I've also done that as well. I look forward to the feeds that I get from them, especially every time April rolls around.
Great but are their many Autism Speaks supporters on the forum or would I be devil's advocate in this?

I'm not interested in debates. I'm just merely interested in stating my opinions and leaving it at that.

Shahunshah
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2016, 6:07 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
Shahunshah wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:

Great but are their many Autism Speaks supporters on the forum or would I be devil's advocate in this?

I'm not interested in debates. I'm just merely interested in stating my opinions and leaving it at that.
I wasn't trying to launch a debate it is just that I kind of wanted to get a picture of what people think of the issue on the forum. I know many are against it but I was wondering if some like me had a neutral or even positive attitude towards the organization.

johnnyh
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Oct 2016, 12:49 pm

I don't care what autism speaks was in the past, as long as what they are doing will accomplish what I want (I am stating it honestly) they are a means to an end. I just wish they cared more about their PR, I would hate to see them dissolve because they only sabotaged themselves. And I wish people like me would gain some control in their ranks to prevent them from steering off course or doing anything stupid. I would rather have a nice amount of control over what they do. I guess I am not exactly a supporter then, but I don't want them to stop everything right now.

-Johnnyh

DelightDelirium
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Oct 2016, 1:39 am

I'm paraphrasing Marilyn Manson: If you want to be normal, you'll get lost in the crowd and nobody will remember your name.

Shahunshah
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2016, 1:58 am

DelightDelirium wrote:
I'm paraphrasing Marilyn Manson: If you want to be normal, you'll get lost in the crowd and nobody will remember your name.
Well in the case of people with Low Functioning Autism isn't the idea to improve people's lives not merely to make someone more normal?

DelightDelirium
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Oct 2016, 4:09 am

Yeah, balance in all things.. it should be up to the individual though. Personally, 'normal' sounds too much like 'ordinary' to me. I'd rather be extrodianary. Whats normal, ie the lowest common denominator in society is often not sane, nor healthy. Its normal to be homophobic, treat women with disrespect, go on binges, etc in many circles.

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2016, 4:54 am

Tհey are morw evil than darkari (the nightmare pokemon). Look up I am autism. A video where they represent autism like a terroist :lol:

johnnyh
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Oct 2016, 5:28 am

Pieplup wrote:
Tհey are morw evil than darkari (the nightmare pokemon). Look up I am autism. A video where they represent autism like a terroist :lol:

How is the video bad? It paints autism the disease as bad which it is, it doesn't say anything bad about the person who HAS autism. Unless of course you all are so attached to your disease you get offended when people point out unpleasant facts about how it truly limits us!....

What a shame. Like video game addicts who think they are doing fine!

-Johnnyh

Shahunshah
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2016, 5:33 am

johnnyh wrote:
Pieplup wrote:

How is the video bad? It paints autism the disease as bad which it is, it doesn't say anything bad about the person who HAS autism. Unless of course you all are so attached to your disease you get offended when people point out unpleasant facts about how it truly limits us!....

What a shame. Like video game addicts who think they are doing fine!
Your opinions look sort of similar to mine along the lines of autism being a disease which needs to be cured.

But I don't particularly see it as something that limits you immensely especially if where you have been diagnosed is with Asperger's or very High Functioning Autism. I simply see it as having given me extra quirks and struggles but not destroyed me from the inside. Why do you differ and think it is some disease that we as High Functioning or Asperger's people are suffering from?

I would say for instance that their are some ways in which I totally benefit from being someone with Asperger's. I feel I am good when it comes to thinking critically and discerning information, I feel good that I am able to have a passionate love and obsession for history and politics that would not exist without a touch of autism, this has been the source of much enjoyment in my life. You could say I suffer socially but on another level I feel fortunate even in this aspect to be someone with Asperger's since I am able to relate and make friends with people with AS some of which are the most creative, smart and funny people I have come across. I see your argument against Neurodiversity I really do but please stop acting like you know our lives are made worse through autism because you really don't know.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2016, 1:43 pm

Yes, speak for yourself, Jh. You project your disease claim onto everyone else here and it is offensive to me.

Autism is not a tragedy, though ignorance about it is.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2016, 3:29 pm

johnnyh wrote:

How is the video bad? It paints autism the disease as bad which it is, it is

It is not representing autism as a disease but a satanic like force. A disease does not know where you live or hover around you or know my language and acquire others.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Shahunshah
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2016, 11:26 pm

johnnyh: This comment is for you and I do not find your post offensive but sort of wrong. I do not understand the full extent of your situation now can I claim to. But in all honesty to think of yourself as less and diseased due to the fact you have Asperger's or High Functioning Autism is not helpful. Ultimately all that can happen from it is that you may find yourself losing confidence in yourself and what you a capable of. Autism is not like a physical impairment that damages your ability Autism is part of your mind and who you are. If you see your autism as being bad and a disability its like seeing yourself and your brain as less.

I think we are not massively impaired. I say that not to sound optimistic but because of the fact I have seen many examples in my own life. I go to a school with many people with High Functioning autism. Many get along well with their neurotypical peers and some have friends some even boyfriends and girlfriends. I am not in this category yet as I am still yet to adapt but I won't accept what you are saying as I have seen that many High Functioning and people with Aspeger's enjoy a good quality of life. That's something I feel we are capable of.

That's all I have to say.

DelightDelirium
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Oct 2016, 11:30 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
johnnyh wrote:

How is the video bad? It paints autism the disease as bad which it is, it is

It is not representing autism as a disease but a satanic like force. A disease does not know where you live or hover around you or know my language and acquire others.

I don't know whether thats funny or sad... some kind of Yokai Watch scenario.

green0star
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2016, 9:04 am

I hear this website is actually partnered with autism speaks ... I think autism speaks makes autism sound like the devil o-o How many times have you ever heard of something "knowing where you live, destroying your marriage, and taking away your children". Dunno about you guys but that sounds pretty satanic to me ...