If Hillary is elected, will something really bad happen?

Page 1 of 5 [ 67 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

K_Kelly
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2016, 5:57 pm

I'm independent, my parents are Republicans, I believe they are well-meaning and wise. They never said anything that directly indicates that the end of the world will happen to some big tragedy if Clinton wins, but they think Clinton is a mean person (but we know that both candidates lie and say things). Now, let's say I know some people who I will assume are wise. These are people I interacted with on a right-wing conservative discussion forum, something being said like "Things will suck, there will probably be a nuclear war in two years, but until then, we have all we can enjoy." This is such an insult because I am too young to die. Why can't God spare us all from the end if it were to happen? Why can't God just wait until everybody is old? Why does there have to be some poor young people when the world ends?

But I think conservatives can be wiser than liberals at times like these. What do you think and how do I stop from exploding in anger, because I don't think God spares anyone from tragedy, no matter how hard you pray or how good you perform.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2016, 6:07 pm

I think it was Winston Churchill who said that the reasons the average voter votes for their chosen candidate is the biggest argument against democracy.

Nine7752
Toucan
Toucan

26 Sep 2016, 6:08 pm

Just bear in mind that the world has always felt like it was on the edge of disaster, going back hundreds or thousands of years. After a enough of these you will see that the wheel keeps turning.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2016, 6:12 pm

I don't think anything really bad will happen, nor do I think anything really bad will happen if Trump is elected. However, I am not thrilled with either one being president.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Mootoo
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2016, 7:11 pm

T is actually the one who wants to use nuclear weapons, at least against other states... which will result in obvious retaliation, and since the executive has seemingly absolute power over whether to start a war or not... well, one can only hope actual sane civil servants stop those who should really belong in a mental institution or in jail for defrauding T uni customers off their money.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2016, 7:14 pm

B19 wrote:
I think it was Winston Churchill who said that the reasons the average voter votes for their chosen candidate is the biggest argument against democracy.

The actual quote:
The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.
Winston Churchill

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2016, 7:17 pm

Congress will be its usual obstructionist self if either are elected.

Nothing really "bad" will happen if either one were elected.

Mootoo
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2016, 7:19 pm

Even if it's R-dominated, unless that changes this election?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2016, 7:21 pm

Yep....many Republicans really don't care for Trump, either. Sometimes, their dislike of Trump is even stronger than the Democrats'.

K_Kelly
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2016, 10:13 pm

No, why is my God so cruel? I hear every single argument that says God isn't cruel. I'm not going to put God's understanding above mine. He did society no favors. I'm probably going to die without any friends because of world destruction brought to you by weapons of mass destruction by some rogue threat. He is a very cruel a--hole.

Nine7752
Toucan
Toucan

26 Sep 2016, 10:19 pm

I have a hunch, that maybe you have some personal beliefs and/or depression going on behind your sense of what God is or wants or does? Perhaps?

K_Kelly
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2016, 10:43 pm

I truly believe that Christianity is the only true religion, but not because I hate other religions.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2016, 2:16 am

In regard to the OP:
Even if Clinton is mean - and I have no doubt that she has a mean streak - at least she's very competent. Trump, on the other hand, also is very mean spirited, but lacks competency despite his narcissism, tries to appeal to disaffected working class white people through racism, and can't seem to open his mouth without lying (such as the fact that he's not a billionaire, but plays one on TV). Then there's his way too cozy relationship with Vladimir Putin. Or in other words, I think there's a much greater chance for something bad to happen under a Trump Presidency than under Clinton.

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2016, 2:29 am

Hillary is smart and experienced enough to make decent predictions about the consequences of her actions, at least on the political level; Trump lack this experience.

In choosing between two lying, cheating candidates, the one with political experience is the lesser of two evils.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2016, 10:26 am

K_Kelly wrote:
...my parents are... well-meaning and wise.
...nuclear war... I am too young to die.
Why can't God spare us all from the end if it were to happen? Why can't God just wait until everybody is old? Why does there have to be some poor young people when the world ends?

K_Kelly wrote:
No, why is my God so cruel? ... He did society no favors. ...world destruction brought to you by weapons of mass destruction by some rogue threat. He is a very cruel a--hole.

God gave us all free will. Think-of it this way..... When you were growing-up, didn't you wish for times that your parents let you make a decision, for yourself? Then, were ALL of the decisions you made, correct? When you made a bad / wrong decision, were your parents there for you, to clean-up / further teacher you / whatever? When you made a bad decision, did you blame your parents for allowing you to make that decision? Sometimes, we blame our parents when we make bad decisions, because it's clear to us that we were wrong, and we have to blame SOMEBODY, cuz very few are gonna accept responsibility and admit THEY were wrong.

This is the same with God. God lets us make our own decisions, and is there for us, when we make a wrong decision----but, we have to ask for His help.

We're ALL going to Hell in a hand-basket, if we don't start making better decisions! God doesn't make WMDs, or nuclear bombs----OR, make somebody fly a plane, with 150 people onboard, into a mountain----but, if we ask, He's there to comfort us, afterwards. That doesn't sound like a cruel God, to me.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2016, 10:32 am

Seems like Trumps plan is to figure out who made all those bad decisions and fire them!