Autistic survivor becomes target of inuendo by CBS news

Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2016, 8:38 am

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/nathan-carm ... da-carman/

Am I being paranoid to read it that way?

It seems like this man just lost his mom in a boating accident and they are now suggesting that he killed her and killed his grand dad. Oh, and he has aspergers and was once upset when his horse died... so, you know...

Quote:
A man who was rescued after spending a week at sea in a life raft was debriefed by the Coast Guard Tuesday in Boston after the search for his mother was called off. Authorities also searched his home for clues.

Quote:
The Carman family has had hard times. In 2013, Linda Carman’s father was found shot to death in his Windsor, Connecticut home. That crime remains unsolved. According to CBS Hartford affiliate WFSB, Nathan Carman was “a primary person of interest” in the murder of his grandfather.

Nathan has Asperger’s syndrome, a higher-functioning form of autism.

It's unclear what happened, but that's no reason not to leap to conclusions! /sarcasm

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2016, 11:02 am

Totally legit 100% true [/sarcasm]

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2016, 11:03 am

The media often list the conditions of a suspect. Person of interest is a term often used by the media lately for innuendo. Person of interest is a suspect who is not quite an official suspect yet but may be just a potential witness , or someone who may have knowledge about the perpetrator.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

staremaster
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2016, 12:17 pm

Any time there is a suspicious death, it is natural to look close to the victim for suspects. An adult son who lives at home will always be a prime suspect in the suspicious death of a parent, because they are likely to have lots of resentment built up against their parents. (I should know lol)

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2016, 1:05 pm

Indeed, but, if the adult child stays there despite their extreme resentment, like I myself did, it's because they have no hope of surviving without some kind of suppor from their parents, which should make the child terrified of losing them, at least if the parents took care to ensure the child will find themself homeless, without inheriting a single penny of their wealth, as it's only sensible to do in such a situation.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2016, 6:01 pm

Quote:
According to a search warrant for Nathan Carman’s apartment obtained by the Hartford Courant, Carman was the last person known to see his maternal grandfather, John Chakalos, alive on Dec. 20, 2013, because he had dinner with him at his home in Windsor, Conn. The 87-year-old Chakalos, a real estate developer, was found dead the next morning. He had been shot three times. ... A will shows Chakalos left an estate worth more than $42 million (U.S.) to his four adult daughters.

Toronto Star

I couldn't figure out why they were suspicious of him, but then I saw the bit about his grandfather. I don't know, seems a bit of a coincidence to me. In both cases he was the last person to see the victim alive. And he stands to inherit.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2016, 6:12 pm

Yes, it's an attempt to smear by association, disguised as reporting an incidental detail.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2016, 6:34 pm

B19 wrote:
Yes, it's an attempt to smear by association, disguised as reporting an incidental detail.

To smear autism by association with a criminal or to smear a criminal with association to autism? I suppose either way it's not a positive.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2016, 6:43 pm

NBC ran this story without mentioning Aspergers

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

B19
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2016, 6:56 pm

androbot01 wrote:
B19 wrote:

To smear autism by association with a criminal or to smear a criminal with association to autism? I suppose either way it's not a positive.

I think it was code for "he's a weirdo and we know what they do".

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2016, 9:33 pm

Maybe the guy's guilty, maybe not. Regardless, I wish they hadn't brought up Asperger's, as the implication seems to be "that kind are liable to go off violently."

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2016, 10:32 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Maybe the guy's guilty, maybe not. Regardless, I wish they hadn't brought up Asperger's, as the implication seems to be "that kind are liable to go off violently."

That was the way it seemed to me.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2016, 12:09 pm

One reply said "another mentally ill killing, when will people learn that you can't fix mental illness".

WELP! It's great to be reminded how ignorant the normies still are. Good day, everyone. :roll:

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2016, 4:13 pm

I tried to reply to couple of the idiots' comments but for some reason loading took forever. I hate my life.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2016, 1:30 am

Boston Globe has an in depth article about him. You need a Facebook account to read the article.

A son’s hard times and his mother’s concern

Quote:
Some of Carman’s fellow students described him as smart and independent, with a passion for classroom debates about religion and politics. He was an easy target for bullies: Students gave him a hard time over his stiff demeanor, and his Asperger’s made social interaction difficult.

None of the classmates interviewed by the Globe could recall him ever having a friend. While a police affidavit said Carman “was capable of violence when his coping mechanisms were challenged,” classmates said he did not seem threatening, just painfully awkward. Two people recalled that he once got in trouble for bringing a pocketknife to school, though he was not aggressive with it.

Carman went out of his way to avoid conflict, students said. Once, when a student mockingly filmed him with his cellphone in class, Carman simply took the phone until a teacher arrived, another student said.

Quote:
Earle Carman said that Linda Carman made sure their son received a range of services, though Nathan was not always enthusiastic about the help.

“She always doted on him, took care of him,” the elder Carman said. “But he was resistant to it. The main thing is the label — autism. That drives him crazy. He’s so functional.”

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2016, 1:37 am

Autistic grandson considered person of interest in couple’s murder

This is worse then the case the OP cited because the very first thing anybody knows about the suspect is that he is autistic. I wrote suspect because he has now been charged with the crime.