St Louis TV station does not even pretend to be impartial

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2016, 12:01 am

http://www.kmov.com/story/33316860/st-louis-is-home-to-groundbreaking-autism-research

The text article is ok. The video is a commercial for Autism Speaks.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

B19
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2016, 10:21 pm

He is part of Autism Speaks and gets funding from them. This is readily available information which, as you note, is omitted by this station. Those omissions are usually deliberate IMO, to try and create the impression of objectivity, cloaked in "science". I'll bet they also reinforce the myth that science is a set of facts, rather than a method. Media that functions as propagandists with these kinds of biases of omission are pretty unethical IMO.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2016, 10:23 pm

He is part of Autism Speaks and gets considerable funding from them. This is readily available information which, as you note, is omitted by this station. Those omissions are usually deliberate IMO, to try and create the impression of objectivity, cloaked in "science". I'll bet they also reinforce the myth that science is a set of facts, rather than a method. Media that functions as propagandists with these kinds of biases of omission are pretty unethical IMO. Public Relations masquerading as news, no disclosure of self-interest and conflict of interests, that is more typical of Autism Speaks I think than people generally realise.

https://www.autismspeaks.org/science/bo ... iographies

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2016, 1:22 am

That link lists John Elder Robinson as on the treatment advisory board. He resigned in anger from Autism Speaks 3 years ago.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

B19
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2016, 1:44 am

Yes it does. It also lists this guy, who is still there it appears or at least still taking the cash.