I am thinking of dressing up as girl for Halloween

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

K_Kelly
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2016, 12:33 pm

I am toying at the idea of dressing up and being a girl on Haloween, not necessarily this year. I put this in the LGBT forum so I don't get any weird looks.

But how do you think I will be perceived for it and how can I minimize fallout? I know my parents are traditionally Christian and in the bible it condemns men wearing clothing of the opposite gender.

I invite you to ask me other questions too.

pete413
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Oct 2016, 1:44 pm

The world of cosplay can give you a lot of options to find something you can be comfortable with.
A character could be ambiguous enough to use.

You could do something subtle, to test the waters.

K_Kelly
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2016, 4:22 pm

How subtle?

pete413
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Oct 2016, 1:27 pm

subtlety is a very zen art.

The point is not to rattle their cages too much, but jostle them a little to wake them up.

Also, I don't know your personal 'style', There are just slightly feminine articles of clothing that can go along with masculine stuff you normally wear.

I wish I could help you, but only you know the people in your life and what sort of reaction you will get depending on what you wear. Anyway, are you going to live your life to satisfy your parents, and be what they imagine you to be? And just because someone is 'traditional christian' doesn't mean they will automatically judge someone on the outfit they wear.
I worked with a post-op mtf for years, she identified herself as a 'born-again christian".

I've known an assortment of different christians, mainly they are sensitive about their beliefs, respecting that gains favor. The ones who judge obviously are not reading that book of theirs. I've personally come across a whole lot about loving others, no matter what, in that book.

I think some people missed that part.

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2016, 3:28 pm

If you dress up as an old witch I doubt anybody will say anything about you being dressed up as female. I seen males dressed as old witches before.

CherryCoffee
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Oct 2016, 12:48 am

In addition to witches, female celebrities tend to be a popular option for all sorts of men that usually doesn't result in *too many* odd looks. And as more and more pop stars (Lady Gaga and Rihanna come to mind) are into fashion and like to experiment with their looks, you could find something that's still on the female side but androgynous enough for certain crowds to digest more easily.

K_Kelly
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2016, 2:59 pm

Will pop star Kesha fit the bill?

CherryCoffee
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Oct 2016, 11:36 am

Absolutely! And given her aesthetic, it'd be easy to pull off both an elaborate (like, say, the studded eyebrows she had in that one video) and comparatively simple (colorful t-shirt, tights and some glitter, maybe a wig?) look going as her.

K_Kelly
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2016, 12:14 am

Actually, I'm leaving this thread. It probably wasn't a good idea.

BombChel534
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Oct 2016, 3:19 pm

Hi K_Kelly, I am transgender and I considered dressing up as a lady for halloween many times before I came out, but always got psyched out. Figured it would raise too many questions that I wasn't prepared to answer at the time.

Try not to be discouraged thinking it's a bad idea, I'd have done it if I were more socially savvy but it's hard enough interacting with people normally, and not to mention when you're struggling with an inner self that wants to get out but can't. I definitely have fewer angry meltdowns since I began transition.

Anyway that's maybe a little off topic; I say go for it.

green0star
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2016, 4:39 pm

Actually now that you mention your folks being christian, I'm surprised they even let you partake of holloween. My parents were against it and my brother and I never celebrated it for that reason. Off topic, I heard that today was "coming out day" on the radio.

BombChel534
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Oct 2016, 4:56 pm

Lol, also if they throw a fit about the bible saying men shouldn't wear clothing meant for women, you can point out Deuteronomy 22:11 (don't mix wool and linen), or Leviticus 11:10 (don't eat seafood that isn't strictly fish), or ask them if they've ever worked on the sabbath (Exodus 31:15), because if they do any of these things they should be put to death according to the book that they're using to justify anti-homosexuality or anti-trans bigotry.

(sorry if this is insensitive, I don't understand when I'm being like that sometimes)

Nine7752
Toucan
Toucan

11 Oct 2016, 5:53 pm

Go for it and don't get too stressed out... at worst it's fun and at best it's a window into another way for you. Usually Halloween dress-up is a bit accentuated on the fancy/frilly elements of the female look, which isn't really all of what being female is about. Any more than wearing flannel and cutting down trees defines being male. But it's a nice chance to try on some clothes and a persona.

Last time I tried the same for Halloween, I remember four things: (1) the frilly female elements were a pain in the a$$ to set up - fingernail extensions, makeup, clothes, etc. (2) it was fun, and I was a total chick magnet, even at a primarily gay party, (3) I looked pretty good; I could see doing this as a lifestyle if I really wanted to, and (4) I got stalked by a car full of drunk guys in a car on the way home. In the latter case I DK if they knew what was under my dress, but it reminded me that this fear is an everyday thing for cis females. I got away from 'em; that kind of guy is not too smart.