Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2016, 11:50 pm

Meet the teacher who changed an autistic pupil's life - by helping to boost his confidence

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

yelekam
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2016, 11:40 am

This is good

Quiet Water
Raven
Raven

14 Oct 2016, 12:17 pm

It's comforting to see good people in the world, especially in places where that goodness can make the world better for others.

Pravda
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Oct 2016, 2:05 pm

This teacher is awesome, I think a lot of kids could benefit from having a mentor like that. Who shows them, despite all the social pressures bearing down on them, that they have strengths and encourages them to let those out.

Don't believe the gender tag. I was born intersex and identify as queer, girl-leaning. So while I can sometimes present as an effeminate guy, that's less than half the time and if anything I'd prefer it say "female" of the two choices offered. I can't change it though, it's bugged.

Mr_Miner
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Oct 2016, 3:45 pm

I had teachers who flat out said this boy's only problem is he is lazy. But I had a few who went the extra mile for me and it made so much of a difference. Just because you can get a degree for it does not mean you should be working with kids.