Page 2 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Scorpius14
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2017, 1:53 pm

sort of dropped out by not going to lectures/group sessions but only attended maths workshops and practical workshops (computer science labs) so i think they were meant to be done together which is why i ultimately failed, first year i did a course to do with game design, second year i was going through the assumption that game design was notorious for social animals so decided to go to more reclusive course (software engineering) but was wrong, there was much more social involvement, 200 people on the course meant there was no going away from people, and they all looked like they knew each other and I was left out and stuck into a group by the senior lecturer regardless of whether we got on or not.

I now feel like university is reserved for the most social of people, if you have stage fright, social anxiety etc, it will be hell for you.

CzigBot
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

04 Apr 2017, 1:36 pm

I quit college after two days and decided to be a welder instead. Going to get to work on my apprenticeship as soon as I have my drivers license.

MickeyT2008
Butterfly
Butterfly

28 May 2017, 9:29 pm

I dropped out of college in 1987 as my electronics engineering course seemed irrelevant to any skills that I'd actually need, clearly having been put together by academics who'd never actually worked as engineers. I've mostly been my own boss since anyway so it really didn't matter, I can't stand working for an employer anyway.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2017, 6:44 am

Dropping out of college seems to be very common.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2017, 10:08 pm

I quit college after two days and decided to be a welder instead. Going to get to work on my apprenticeship as soon as I have my drivers license.
_________________________________________________________________________________

yeah i went to UCSD. 5th year, flunked out of a BS program in Structural Engineering. and i worked so hard. when i was a 2nd year, a 5th year electrical engineering undergrad told me that if she were to have wasted as much time studying as i did she would've gotten straight A's.

seriously.

(puke)

wanted to drop out school.

but precious lil "parental" pressure.

besides, san diego was so homophobic.

seriously regret going to college. ucsd in particular

but whatever. what's done is done.

oh well. maybe college was not that great. (fine). but maybe college was the best option. and none of the options were good anyways.

seriously considered going Active Duty Air Force. enlisted.

but certainly glad i did not do that. living on base. in the barracks. in close quarters. crowded. 24/7. subject to hazing, racism, sexism, homophobia. at that time it was Don't Ask Don't Tell. getting yelled at. not getting enough sleep. having to do firewatch. having to waste a lot of time squaring away the rack. having to wait til taps to use the head. not having enough time in the mess hall. getting yelled at. they can wake you up in the middle of the night and make you do your job. MOS go by needs of the military. so your contract might say one MOS but they can assign you to anything. and the military can change terms of the contract w/out your consent. the military has a different legal system. it is illegal to be late to work in the military.

at the time, the Air Force seemed. sounded. so cool. like belonging somewhere. having a purpose. making a sacrifice.

and all that is good and great and all that.

but having autism would make it extremely difficult to function in the military. enlisted or officer. active duty or reserve. any branch. but whatever. just my opinion.

and i started college at 18 and got diagnosed at 21. so whatever.

Jenine
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Nov 2017, 1:23 pm

I dropped out of a community college program for medical billing and coding after trying to complete it for about 2 1/2 years. My education was being paid for by DORS, which is a vocational rehab program here in Maryland. Some help they were. I finally dropped out after late 2014 when I finished up my last class. For me, it was better that I did this because I tried telling my old DORS counselor I just wanted a medical billing certificate not one for medical billing and coding. But, she didn't listen and insisted I get both. Needless to say, my old counselor quit the following year in the fall of 2015. Got a new one who was worse than the last one and decided to give up on DORS altogether. Anyway, I only went to community college when I was nearly 20 because I was forced to. It was from influences outside my father's house as to why. In all honesty, I had an idea what I wanted out of life, but was too afraid to tell anyone beside my father for fear of being scoffed at and told my dreams were unrealistic. Or worse... being told they won't lead to permanent employment. To sum it all up, people forced my hand in a lot of things. School was one of them and I wasn't happy about it.

ApparentlyOK
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 Nov 2017, 3:06 pm

I dropped out of art college a few years ago

EverythingAndNothing
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Nov 2017, 6:53 pm

I've returned this year after dropping out back in 2010. I think I'm handling things better this time around but I'm still majorly stressed out by the social part of things. I don't have any friends and I don't talk to anyone, but I still find it stressful to be around so many people all day long and to speak in class when called on. By the time I get home, I am majorly exhausted and I only have two years complete. I'm really hoping I can tough it out for the final two.

hobojungle
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2017, 7:05 pm

I dropped out of art school 21 years ago. I’m not interested in school. I’m teaching myself. I have family support though. I can’t do it alone. I only learned about autism a year ago. What do you want to do?

OutsideView
Veteran
Veteran

Location: England ^not male but apparently you can't change it

02 Nov 2017, 4:28 am

I got expelled from school, dropped out of college twice and university once :).
I did go back and get my degree in the end though so I guess I'm not a "dropout".

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2017, 1:42 pm

Warrior goddess

Plenty of college graduates are unemployed. Especially after the 2008 recession.

That includes bachelor and master degree, and et cetera

Plenty of college dropouts are employed

Someone told me that he got a Master's degree in Math. He was a tenured community college instructor. Then For 17 years he worked at Oracle. Software engineer. Then the entire department got laid off. After that he went to work at Trader Joe's. Stocking shelves. For one year.

So..... Maybe college is overrated

Yes college serves a function, but other things do too

And you have to live a balanced life

With or without a degree

:D

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2017, 4:18 pm

shortfatbalduglyman wrote:
Warrior goddess

Plenty of college graduates are unemployed. Especially after the 2008 recession.

That includes bachelor and master degree, and et cetera

Plenty of college dropouts are employed

Someone told me that he got a Master's degree in Math. He was a tenured community college instructor. Then For 17 years he worked at Oracle. Software engineer. Then the entire department got laid off. After that he went to work at Trader Joe's. Stocking shelves. For one year.

So..... Maybe college is overrated

Yes college serves a function, but other things do too

And you have to live a balanced life

With or without a degree

:D

I'm constantly amazed that I have a better job than some people who went to college.

Not better than all people who went to college though.

I know some construction workers and an oil rig worker who also didn't go to college and they get paid more than most people do.

komamanga
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2017, 5:36 pm

Not a college dropout but I was forced back into university by my parents so instead of 4 years it took me 6 to graduate because of excessive absence. I still haven't got my diploma though, will collect it soon.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2017, 6:15 pm

Retro gamer

Could you please tell me how you got your job :?:

Thank you very much

elbowgrease
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2017, 8:39 pm

I dropped out of high school, got a GED a year early. Went to college at 24, tried earlier but couldn't get financial aid until then. Did 5 semesters, I think. Then dropped out. Had a workman's comp nightmare happening through all of that, and when it ended I took some much needed time off from everything. Plan on going back, just need to get settled. I really enjoyed it. School has always been easy for me, even fun. Problems for me are that I have no interest in a degree, I just want to study everything. But financial aid and degree programs and Max credit hours and bureaucracy make it difficult. And I have real difficulty in math.

snollygoster
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Dec 2017, 9:17 pm

I dropped out when I was eighteen. I waited a few years until I knew what I wanted my degree in and now I (almost) have enough credits to transfer to a 4-year university.
Wish me luck! :cheers: