Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2007, 6:00 am

Having been told by my dad to watch it, I have become completely obsessed (if you'll pardon the irony) with the TV show Monk. Although my Dad had an alterior motive (e.g showing me that people with OCD, tics and Aspie traits CAN be successfull), I completely love the show! Tony Shaloub is so cute (in the English sense of the word) and I think that he is so much like me! Who else loves Monk as much as I do?

BigT
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 May 2007, 6:18 am

I watched one episode and I absolutely loved it, but I didn't pay attention to what channel it was on or what time it was on, so I only got to see the one episode. But it was brilliant. :)

BenJ
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 May 2007, 6:42 am

It sure is a great show.

Supernootz
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

10 May 2007, 7:53 am

People I work with told me I have to watch it...that I'm just like the guy in the show. I have no idea what it's about though.

gekitsu
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2007, 9:14 am

monk is brilliant!

for one, the show really is entertaining and not too shallow to be boring, but not too deep to make it too heavy to digest.

but what i think is really great about monk is that a character with a lot of autistic traits is displayed in a way that everyone likes him. for the way he is, adrian monk is displayed as a most loveable person. i think that this is a big step for us - more than autistic pride day and all the demonstrations together.
even the obsessions, which freak a lot of people out, are displayed in a positive way - monk fussing over the fact that his living room table must stand at a completely weird angle, opposed to his 90° grid arranged furniture. everyone pushes it back to 90° grid orientation and he pushes it back to the weird angle... until the end of the show, when it is revealed that his dead wife put the table at that angle to create a bit more room to cradle him when he was stressed out.

cecilfienkelstien
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2007, 9:29 am

This show sounds really good. I'll have to check it out! The one thing I hate is when tv or movies make fools out of people with ailments. It makes me feel like a freak show when I have some of the traits like the charector. I felt this way kinda in Rainman but more so in Mozart and the Whale. I don't know maybe I'm just self- conscience. I love my positive traits and its about time the entertainment industry got it right. Good job monk! :D

rosered
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2007, 5:09 pm

I love watching monk too, he's VERY funny!!

If you live in u.k monk is shown on bbc 2 but not at the moment, i think they are between seasons.

Here's my dirty little secret, i love the police captains voice LOL :oops:

does anyone else?

xx

DejaQ
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2007, 8:32 pm

I started watching Monk during a New Year's marathon at the beginning of 2006, and I thought it was hilarious. There's a good mix of humor and emotion. Almost immediately after I'd started watching it, I felt similar to Monk in many ways.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2007, 11:14 am

I like it..., it’s the only “cop” show I bother watching. Sometimes they show his OCD a little too overtly, but they're pointing it out for those who aren't as familiar with the disorder as many of “us” are, and it's a big part of the show obviously…so that’s cool.

Litguy
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2007, 3:25 pm

I always watch it. He reminds me of me. I like Monk and House. H-m-m-m.

In those episodes where Monk's youth has been discussed, I'm always reminded of my own, expecially the forced attempts to be "into" what other people were into that always fell flat because they were so obvious and awkward.

Belfast
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2007, 4:28 pm

rosered wrote:
Here's my dirty little secret, i love the police captains voice LOL
does anyone else?

Yes. One of my special interests is knowing who people are when they've a face or voice that appeals to me. Ted Levine as Stottelmayer-not sure how to spell the character's name. He was Jaime Gumm (the killer with the skin fixation) in "Silence of the Lambs". Looks much different now, but I knew the voice was familiar when I first saw the show "Monk".
Tony Shaloub is interesting as another actor I've noticed, too.
Admit I wish his character would "come out" as having Asperger's...Would it really narrow or shrink the target demographic audience ? If ASD's are suddenly so prevalent, one would think TV execs. or writers would be in favor of identifying "Monk" as having that dx.
Danielismyname wrote:
Sometimes they show his OCD a little too overtly, but they're pointing it out for those who aren't as familiar with the disorder as many of “us” are, and it's a big part of the show obviously…so that’s cool.

Agree. His "hangups" seem so arbitrary & strange to me-except when they actually seem comparable to mine. I find the writing & setups to be predictable & kinda' boring (sorry to say)-but I still watch it because of what I do enjoy about "Monk".
cecilfinkelstien wrote:
The one thing I hate is when tv or movies make fools out of people with ailments. It makes me feel like a freak show when I have some of the traits like the charector. I felt this way kinda in Rainman but more so in Mozart and the Whale. I don't know maybe I'm just self- conscience. I love my positive traits and its about time the entertainment industry got it right. Good job monk!

My non-aspie (but OCD) boyfriend likes the show (and the movie "Mozart & the Whale"). He says they (the show & the film) help him understand me & see things that he recognizes. I'm too focussed on particular dissimilarities between myself & these others, I feel so unique.
"Rainman" I saw long before my dx, so I didn't think I was that way-though parts felt familiar, to a lesser degree of severity or extremity. But that was the case for any "different" "outsider" "mentally iconoclastic" character I'd see or hear about, I identified with whichever bits seemed "like me" & discarded the bits that I couldn't relate to.
gekitsu wrote:
for one, the show really is entertaining and not too shallow to be boring, but not too deep to make it too heavy to digest.
but what i think is really great about monk is that a character with a lot of autistic traits is displayed in a way that everyone likes him. for the way he is, adrian monk is displayed as a most loveable person. i think that this is a big step for us - more than autistic pride day and all the demonstrations together.
even the obsessions, which freak a lot of people out, are displayed in a positive way

Appreciate the intent of the show, even when I quibble with the details or concessions made to mainstream audience. It's just part of who he is, it doesn't make him a bad or dangerous person-sometimes seems that message hasn't been absorbed by society, it's good that the show reminds people of that. Also, the dual experiences of being both trapped & empowered by one's neurological difference, how strengths & weaknesses originate from same trait/wiring/temperment. Individuals aren't all strong or all weak, each is a blend of more or less of both, in a wide variety of life aspects.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2007, 8:55 pm

I used to watch it when it was on here... I really liked it.

xboxboy247
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 May 2007, 9:13 pm

God, I love Monk! I can't wait for the new season this summer.

My favorite would have to be the one where he's the private detective or the one where he starts to use the internet.

Like discussing Film and Writing?
Go here! http://fwc.eamped.com/

Save The Internet! It's not going to save itself!
http://www.savetheinternet.com/

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2007, 9:47 am

Monk is one of my favorite TV shows as well.

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

PLA
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2007, 12:11 pm

I love Monk, but I no longer seem to have a channel airing it. :(

I remember the episode where people think he's a racist because he gets his napkin with bad timing. :lol:

"Everyone loves the dolphin. A bitter shark - emerging from it's cold depths - doesn't stand a chance." This is hyperbol.

"Run, Jump, Fall, Limp off, Try Harder."

Litguy
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2007, 6:12 pm

PLA wrote:
I love Monk, but I no longer seem to have a channel airing it. :(

I remember the episode where people think he's a racist because he gets his napkin with bad timing. :lol:
Yes. That was good.