Donald Trump using racism to incite voter intimidation

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2016, 6:50 pm

This is pretty serious:

http://lawnewz.com/high-profile/electio ... imidation/

There have been tweets from Trump supporters where they promise they will lurk around election places and follow voters of color around to make them "nervous":

http://www.thenewcivilrightsmovement.co ... assination

Some are also promising a coup attempt which they say for sure will become a "bloodbath".

Pravda
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Oct 2016, 7:00 pm

The FBI is already gearing up for a potentially resurgent militia movement, based around the kinds of racial issues he's ran on, in the likely event he loses.

Voter intimidation probably won't get very far, since it's so easy to prosecute and the Trump people aren't in power yet to shield those who do it. A rising insurrectionary movement in the aftermath could easily lead to Oklahoma City-type terrorism though.

Don't believe the gender tag. I was born intersex and identify as queer, girl-leaning. So while I can sometimes present as an effeminate guy, that's less than half the time and if anything I'd prefer it say "female" of the two choices offered. I can't change it though, it's bugged.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2016, 7:25 pm

Pravda wrote:
The FBI is already gearing up for a potentially resurgent militia movement, based around the kinds of racial issues he's ran on, in the likely event he loses.

Voter intimidation probably won't get very far, since it's so easy to prosecute and the Trump people aren't in power yet to shield those who do it. A rising insurrectionary movement in the aftermath could easily lead to Oklahoma City-type terrorism though.

Yup, from 18 U.S. Code § 594 - Intimidation of voters:

Quote:
Whoever intimidates, threatens, coerces, or attempts to intimidate, threaten, or coerce, any other person for the purpose of interfering with the right of such other person to vote or to vote as he may choose, or of causing such other person to vote for, or not to vote for, any candidate for the office of President, Vice President, Presidential elector, Member of the Senate, Member of the House of Representatives, Delegate from the District of Columbia, or Resident Commissioner, at any election held solely or in part for the purpose of electing such candidate, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than one year, or both.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/594

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2016, 7:51 pm

beneficii wrote:
This is pretty serious:

http://lawnewz.com/high-profile/electio ... imidation/

There have been tweets from Trump supporters where they promise they will lurk around election places and follow voters of color around to make them "nervous":

http://www.thenewcivilrightsmovement.co ... assination

Some are also promising a coup attempt which they say for sure will become a "bloodbath".

hmmm sounds like extremists, I thought trump was going to defeat terrorism....does that only include terrorism committed in the name of Islam extremism? Anyone tries to stop me voting and I'll call the damn police on them, it is the legal right of citizens to vote thus police would be obligated to arrest anyone trying to prevent people voting.

But also Colorado has mail in ballets that are sent to everyone registered to vote, so you don't even have to go to a polling location to vote. Or you can fill out your thing at home and turn it in at a polling location.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2016, 11:28 pm

The first article cited tells how Trump will have his so called poll watchers, lurking near polling places, wearing red shirts. From the historical trend of the henchmen of evil political movements of the last century wearing either black or brown shirts, I'd say this is something that Trump himself has revealed that is potentially terrifying.

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2016, 11:46 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
The first article cited tells how Trump will have his so called poll watchers, lurking near polling places, wearing red shirts. From the historical trend of the henchmen of evil political movements of the last century wearing either black or brown shirts, I'd say this is something that Trump himself has revealed that is potentially terrifying.

Yeah, I'm not going to start creaming my pants just because they changed their colors from brown to red. I'm more concerned with what their actions may be, not their peacock display.