Seperating aspergers from personality

Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

unnamed
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 May 2007, 4:53 pm

0_equals_true wrote:
Personality and Asperger's are different. You cannot say that all AS are the same. However you can say that AS will influence your personality to a varying degree. Generally speaking if the person is High Functioning they can learn good behaviour. Some concepts like blame or who is at fault are a bit can be tricky. Avoid that angle, it not so important if you think about it. An expert would be able to tell you whether somebody can control their behaviour but lower functioning would have more difficulty as a rule.

But I don't think it is this. You haven't told us what is actually happening. When you have AS it can be hard to express yourself to people. You can misread situations. I often think people are angry when they are not. Also we are sensitive about certain things and these things must be accommodated because it is almost impossible to change them tbh. It would like being violated. It depends on the aspie, but it could be personal space, property, routines. Just because we can't read people as well doesn't mean we aren't sensitive to other people. Neurotic, jumpy people make me nervous. My folks are like that, so I prefer them in small doses lol. I’m not really family orientated. Not into family holidays, etc.

Also we can have problems with empathy. This is not bad behaviour. We don’t always know how someone is feeling. I’m not sure NTs do either they just think they do. If think that is bad consider this: Is rubber-necking car crashes empathy? Is filming atrocities empathy? Is reality TV empathy?

Very well said. I think as*hole is a pretty relative term. I feel that many NTs behave such, intentionally or not.

Neuromancer
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2007, 5:44 pm

Cognito_ergo_sum wrote:
Can the aspergers syndrome be seperated from who someone actually is? Or is someones behaviour and aspergers one and the same...

... I've let him know how his behaviour is affecting me and the rest of the family, but he carries on regardless. He is displaying some very selfish tendencies.

Is aspergers making him behave this way? Or is it possible he's just an as*hole? (forgive my crude term). I need to know whether I'm doing him a disservice by letting certain behaviour slide, and assuming he behaves how be behaves becuase of the aspergers..

Congratulatios for your aspie nick! :D
Just before reading your thread, I was thinking if most of us weren't behaving iresponsibly after being diagnosed, as saying: well, as I have this I can behave as I want... seems to be a temptation.
Seems to me also that you wrote some aspie words. :D

Racer_J
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 May 2007, 6:03 pm

It's possible that there's something in his life making him feel like somebody (or everybody) is doing him wrong in some way, and that his behavior is justified. But from what I've read, the percentage of people with asperger's is pretty low, whereas the percentage of people who are as*holes is unfortunately pretty high.

The_Cucumber
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2007, 6:59 pm

Its possible he's simply not aware of what he's doing. This would be definitely true if his actions involve being brutally honest.

I don't annoy people intentionally, its an aftereffect of being bullied so much in elementary school that I don't want anyone to go through what I went though, my misery oddly hates company. I do however unintentionally annoy people on a regular basis.

I'd even suggest you send him to these fourms. He might be able to get advice directly from people who have learned how to avoid accidental rudeness. Something we Aspies can have trouble with.