Women, are you attracted to muscular guys?

Page 10 of 13 [ 193 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Which of these body types are you most attracted to?
Very lean 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Somewhat lean 31%  31%  [ 10 ]
Intermediate 41%  41%  [ 13 ]
Somewhat muscular 16%  16%  [ 5 ]
Very muscular 9%  9%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 32

Synth.osx
Raven
Raven

19 Oct 2016, 8:09 am

Outrider wrote:
Synth.osx wrote:
Boxman108 wrote:
My "natural" life has led to staying home outside of work most of the time. I look nothing like these guys even with steering clear of junk food or tons of carbs. Gym is absolutely necessary.

It depends on your genetic makeup, some people are more lean proportionate naturally.

There are many exercise routines that can be done with calisthenics and you can achieve an athletic body without the use of a gym, steroids or supplements. They are typically a myth used to sell people a product that believe there is a magic fix, most men won't look like Arnold Schwarzenegger or Flex Wheeler after three courses of steroids.

Yes, steroids and supplements are not necessary.

Nor is gym exercises.

But lifting weights in the gym, along with adequate diet and rest (note: I'm not saying anything about roids or supplements), is one of the more efficient ways to gain strength and activate muscle hypertrophy the quickest.

It specifically targets individual muscle groups instead of the less specific-ness of some 'natural' forms of exercise.

Synth.osx wrote:
For men that are naturally ectomorph, it is much harder to achieve a bodybuilding physique. Please go to bodybuilding.com and ask them if achieving a Brad Pitt from Fight Club is more difficult than achieving the physique of Arnold Schwarzenegger in his prime or Ronnie Coleman.

Personally, all I was saying is that the vast majority of people can not gain much natural strength from physical athleticism, if 'natural strength gain' is defined as 'does not lift weights unnaturally in the gym, and does not use steroids (because one can gain plenty of muscle using steroids without so much as lifting a finger).

There were women here who mentioned earlier they want a guy 'naturally strong' from the physical activities and sports he chooses to do, and not 'unnaturally' fit from the gym. This is an unrealistic ideal and difficult to achieve unless you specifically have a hard labor job.

For most actual athletes, gym time is necessary. Even swimmers like Michael Phelps spend time in the gym. Some form of structured training is necessary beyond their sport alone.

You're making a false comparison here.

Me and Boo aren't saying it takes less time to look like Brad Pitt from lifting weights in the gym, we're saying it actually takes longer to look that way if you DON'T workout in the gym that it does to look like Taylor Lautner (Jacob from Twilight) if you do work out in the gym.

Doesn't matter if you have good genetics and an active lifestyle.

It took Taylor Lautner only about 6-10 months to achieve the physique he has now, from gym time and strict diet and rest.

To get a body like Brad Pitt from crossfit, bodyweight exercises or calisthenics? Well, you tell me if it would take a shorter amount of time or not. I can't see how, even if it is significantly less muscle mass to gain.

All I know is plenty of the people on Bodybuilding.com say Mister Pitt's physique only takes a few months.

Yes, it does take a long time to build muscle from working out in the gym, but it is quicker and more efficient than playing sports or trying to gain muscle naturally purely alone.

Doesn't matter if it's strength training, crossfit, calisthenics, even bodyweight exercises. These all have 'rules' and 'structure' and require a strict healthy diet to become fitter by using any of these methods, therefore they are 'unnatural'.

There's people I knew in high school who played on a sports team and, outside of that, did not give a damn about diet, calories, or exercised at all aside from their team training sessions.

The only guys that could pull this off were skinny soccer players, tennis players and such. Most of their strength was just the natural strength that comes with puberty, the only difference between them and a regular skinny kid was skill in the sport.

The football players specifically had to spent time in the gym and work on diet to gain sufficient muscle and mass to excel at their sport.

It's exceptionally rare for someone to gain the Brad Pitt physique 'naturally'. Many men of ancient and modern hunter-gatherer tribes are skinnier than that, and they are as 'natural' as they come.

Fair enough, I can see your point from that perspective. I thought the women were referring to natural training as in Calisthenics and bodyweight training, not a physical job or traditional sports. I was referring to the maintenance and dedication that it takes to become an IFBB professional or powerlifter, it takes an extreme training regime and diet to achieve the results of a professional bodybuilder.

There are parks that have calisthenics equipment in them to use free of charge and many exercises can be performed that stimulate the muscle in a similar way to the gym. In any case, what good is the gym if it does not build functional strength? After a few months of Calisthenics, I was able muscle-ups and calisthenics can supplement parkour and rock climbing.

There are many calisthenics, parkour and climbing athletes that are defined and muscular without the use of steroids or spending many hours in the gym.

Outrider
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2016, 8:38 am

Synth.osx wrote:
Fair enough, I can see your point from that perspective.

Yes, and I'm sorry if I over-reacted a little.

Otherwise I strongly agree with much of what you say.

Personally I myself am interested in bodyweight exercises, functional movements like parkour, kip swings, etc.

I'm thinking of one day saving up and buying a backyard obstacle course, American Ninja Warrior style.

I hope to be much fitter and stronger by age 20 than I am now, and throughout my 20s can spend my liesure time at least one day a week practising on it.

I'd ensure it's top quality to the point it could last several years to decades without suffering much damage or wear and tear.

Synth.osx wrote:
I was referring to the maintenance and dedication that it takes to become an IFBB professional or powerlifter, it takes an extreme training regime and diet to achieve the results of a professional bodybuilder.

Yeah, that's a lot of hardwork.

But for non-competors, using a bodybuilding regime as a method to gain muscle and evoke hypertrophy is probably one of the most efficient methods and has the lowest risk of injury.

Certain bodyweight exercises can risk injury, alone with movements like parkour (high injury risk), and sport definitely has high injury risk.

Some of these are also less efficient to gain muscle.

Synth.osx wrote:
In any case, what good is the gym if it does not build functional strength?

It does, it's just not as effective as functional forms of exercise, bodyweight exercise, etc. or a hard labor job.

So I definitely agree with the benefits there.

That doesn't mean calisthenics is more efficient at gaining muscle. At gaining functional strength? Yes. At gaining increased muscle mass and size? Not so much.

I like the idea of using bodybuilding because it gains visual muscle and increase in size quicker, and the increases in functional strength is does give, will in the long run assist in making the physical activity I enjoy easier in the future.

Think of it as, instead of just me jumping in and doing parkour and obstacle courses like I want to, I could gain muscle from BBuilding first to make these activities easier, rather than doing them with the average body I have now.

Plus, the stronger I look, the more intimidating and thus can ward off potential threats easier by size alone, but also the more attractive to the women who DO want a muscular looking guy.

Synth.osx wrote:
There are many calisthenics, parkour and climbing athletes that are defined and muscular without the use of steroids or spending many hours in the gym.

And I wonder how much stronger they would have been, or how much less time it would have took, if they DID spend at least 25% of their training regime lifting weights in the gym. :lol:

Trust me, for the last 3 months or so I've been going to the beach every weekend with family.

It's only 1 day a week, but this along with 3 days in the gym should have brought me some progress by now.

Turns out I wasn't pushing myself hard enough in the gym.

However, that one day each week at the beach, I'd do calisthenics.

I'd do bodyweight exercises like hanging leg raises, pushups, step ups, lunges, jog, run, jump, climb through trees, over rocks, through nature, etc. I'd use monkeybars, do the thing where you swing from one bar to another and grab the other one with both hands.

There was one trick I'd do where I'd jump at this one tree branch and grab it with two hands, then quickly grab the next one with one hand and quickly put my other hand on it before I fell off - monkey style.

This along with a high calorie diet.

My Biceps, Shoulders, Back, Traps, Chest, Ab and Leg muscles would all be taxed the next day.

I have no idea if it's helped with gains in functional strength at all. For both our sake I hope it has.

I am no bigger in size whatsoever, but size ≠ strength. It's possible to gain strength without gaining size.

Boxman108
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2016, 12:38 pm

Alliekit wrote:
I just have to add that I actually do witness alot of bigger guys with extremely beautiful girls. Although these guys are usually ultra confident and jokey

How much money do they have? What kind of jobs? Comedians mentioned earlier, really anyone already famous likely won't have near as much trouble as the average joe especially when women will still only trade up compared to what they have.

I really doubt anyone who claims not to be so shallow will find this at all attractive unless there was any indication of wealth or high status.

As others have said ultimately I do agree it is unhealthy and not ideal, and there shouldn't be outright acceptance when it threatens health. Even so it is pretty hurtful to see all of these women, same weight as me, lacking in any of their own money or responsibilities, easily finding long lasting partners or able to make demands as such with no question, whereas I'm repeatedly told in extremely transparent wording or tones that I'm just seen as a friend or that I'm too nice. No one is honest.

What's worse is that that's after I gained 50 pounds back. Before that I still didn't look great. It sucks knowing that's probably only half of what I'd really need to do to become attractive. People lying to me and telling me not to worry about it isn't going to be helpful or productive to anyone.

While someone else is eating or opening a window or
just walking dully along...

underwater
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2016, 12:54 pm

Outrider wrote:
Honestly, the most beneficial movement for us all would simply be the 'average' movement.

Where beauty and fashion standards suggest averageness is ideal. Nothing more.

No 'fat acceptance' or 'all body types are beautiful' movement because this encourages obesity and poor health choices.

But if they can't make you unhappy about your body, they can't sell you their junk. No more whey powder and weights and exercise videos and clothes that make you look skinnier/more fit. People would probably just go for walks in the clothes they usually wear, and where's the money in that?

Alliekit
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2016, 12:59 pm

Boxman108 wrote:
Alliekit wrote:
I just have to add that I actually do witness alot of bigger guys with extremely beautiful girls. Although these guys are usually ultra confident and jokey

How much money do they have? What kind of jobs?

Not much I know some in real estate, some that are like cashiers

You have a similar body to my brother and his gf is crazy crazy hot

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2016, 1:20 pm

The last thing we need is any kind of "fat acceptance". I wish my parents hadn't chosen exercise and fitness as one of the many things about modern society they considered vices to rebel against, making it extremely hard for me to get used to doing them seriously, as opposed to feeling guilty for wanting to do them.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

Synth.osx
Raven
Raven

20 Oct 2016, 4:14 am

Outrider wrote:
Synth.osx wrote:
Fair enough, I can see your point from that perspective.

Yes, and I'm sorry if I over-reacted a little.

Otherwise I strongly agree with much of what you say.

Personally I myself am interested in bodyweight exercises, functional movements like parkour, kip swings, etc.

I'm thinking of one day saving up and buying a backyard obstacle course, American Ninja Warrior style.

I hope to be much fitter and stronger by age 20 than I am now, and throughout my 20s can spend my liesure time at least one day a week practising on it.

I'd ensure it's top quality to the point it could last several years to decades without suffering much damage or wear and tear.

Synth.osx wrote:
I was referring to the maintenance and dedication that it takes to become an IFBB professional or powerlifter, it takes an extreme training regime and diet to achieve the results of a professional bodybuilder.

Yeah, that's a lot of hardwork.

But for non-competors, using a bodybuilding regime as a method to gain muscle and evoke hypertrophy is probably one of the most efficient methods and has the lowest risk of injury.

Certain bodyweight exercises can risk injury, alone with movements like parkour (high injury risk), and sport definitely has high injury risk.

Some of these are also less efficient to gain muscle.

Synth.osx wrote:
In any case, what good is the gym if it does not build functional strength?

It does, it's just not as effective as functional forms of exercise, bodyweight exercise, etc. or a hard labor job.

So I definitely agree with the benefits there.

That doesn't mean calisthenics is more efficient at gaining muscle. At gaining functional strength? Yes. At gaining increased muscle mass and size? Not so much.

I like the idea of using bodybuilding because it gains visual muscle and increase in size quicker, and the increases in functional strength is does give, will in the long run assist in making the physical activity I enjoy easier in the future.

Think of it as, instead of just me jumping in and doing parkour and obstacle courses like I want to, I could gain muscle from BBuilding first to make these activities easier, rather than doing them with the average body I have now.

Plus, the stronger I look, the more intimidating and thus can ward off potential threats easier by size alone, but also the more attractive to the women who DO want a muscular looking guy.

Synth.osx wrote:

And I wonder how much stronger they would have been, or how much less time it would have took, if they DID spend at least 25% of their training regime lifting weights in the gym. :lol:

Trust me, for the last 3 months or so I've been going to the beach every weekend with family.

It's only 1 day a week, but this along with 3 days in the gym should have brought me some progress by now.

Turns out I wasn't pushing myself hard enough in the gym.

However, that one day each week at the beach, I'd do calisthenics.

I'd do bodyweight exercises like hanging leg raises, pushups, step ups, lunges, jog, run, jump, climb through trees, over rocks, through nature, etc. I'd use monkeybars, do the thing where you swing from one bar to another and grab the other one with both hands.

There was one trick I'd do where I'd jump at this one tree branch and grab it with two hands, then quickly grab the next one with one hand and quickly put my other hand on it before I fell off - monkey style.

This along with a high calorie diet.

My Biceps, Shoulders, Back, Traps, Chest, Ab and Leg muscles would all be taxed the next day.

I have no idea if it's helped with gains in functional strength at all. For both our sake I hope it has.

I am no bigger in size whatsoever, but size ≠ strength. It's possible to gain strength without gaining size.

You could definitely build your own calisthenics park if you have the space in your backyard for it but that is dependent on your accommodation. You could consider a pull-up mate, it is a portable self-assembly pull up rig.

The pull up mate can be fully disassembled and carried to new locations, it is the ideal portable pull up rig.

I understand that weightlifting can be good for building muscle in a short time but it still requires a huge amount of maintenance to keep that muscle, especially if you have a natural ectomorph frame. It is better to set yourself a realistic goal of what you want to achieve with long-term fitness goals instead of focusing on taking a shortcut to gain muscle. Calisthenics training isn't the best type of training for bodybuilding but the muscle that you can gain from calisthenics is natural and functional.

You can combine the two styles of training, you could do a set of bodyweight repetitions followed a set of slow weightlifting repetitions but you will have to be careful that you do not cause burnout.

What are your goals for training?

Outrider
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2016, 5:04 am

To gain muscle from gym time so that my body will be stronger and easier to use in a variety of sports and physical activity.

I enjoy physical activity of a variety of forms so the more efficient my body is, the better.

Along with healthier diet and lifestyle, of course.

Sports I enjoy are running, swimming, cycling, climbing (aka the 'natural' kind, climbing trees barehanded and such), parkour, moving through nature (run, climb, swing from branches, etc.).

As I said, once my body is stronger from muscle gain and losing weight in body fat, my physique will be more aesthetically pleasing yet also fitter. Once I reach my goal I would focus only on maintaining, not gaining, muscle.

Once this happens, I want to train and condition my body to be as skilled as possible in all areas I am interested in. Obviously this would increase functional strength, muscle memory, stamina, endurance, conditioning, hand-eye, co-ordination, etc.

Maybe then I could combine bodybuilding and calisthenics or crossfit or such but ensure my plan avoids burnout.

There's a training regime called the W4SB or Westside 4 Skinny Bastards.

It serves this exact purpose.

Gain muscle from weightlifting for athletes in the off-season, and then the rest of the time is sports/physical conditioning related.

So I sort of want to gain 'gym muscle' first, hypertrophy and such, and then start W4SB.

I don't want to rely on bodyweight regimes and such alone. It seems too inefficient for me. Time is money. I want to at least be maybe Taylor Lautner's size by age 25.

My 'prime' regarding fitness, age 20-30, is only a small window of opportunity.

I can still do all the sports I want to past this age, but I'll never be able to reach my best at that point, which is definitely what I'd like to see what I'm capable of.

At least with a muscular build, there's a few benefits:

1. Considered more appealing to the opposite sex.
2. More size = more intimidating. Less potential for trouble.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2016, 5:39 am

With all the physical activity you mentioned, it would be optimal if you would leave your phobias behind, Outrider. Use that as the incentive.

There are many more guys like the previous "chubby" poster than there are muscular guys like the ones you posted. It's true: many of these guys have fine-looking girlfriends.

Just do your stuff because you want to do your stuff--not to get girls.

I was no more successful being a gym rat for a year and running marathons, than I was when I was a fat slob LOL

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2016, 4:11 pm

In other words you were the Queens Casanova either way :lol:

underwater
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2016, 4:39 pm

I thought I should be nice and vote for something, but the truth is....I don't have a type. Not physically, certainly.

Boxman108
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2016, 5:30 pm

I don't know what it is then...told I'm too clingy, so I initiate less and then get forgotten about. I'm never outright mean or pissy to other people in my day to day life, always trying to give off a confident and laid back and easy going appearance. And yet no one ever gives me any kind of helpful advice, just the same old bs. 'You're not my type', 'you just haven't found the right girl', etc. etc. No one can admit appearance and money and status plays a much larger part than personality or temperament.

While someone else is eating or opening a window or
just walking dully along...

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2016, 5:38 pm

Social life is probably the most important factor too.

Outrider
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2016, 8:07 pm

underwater wrote:
Outrider wrote:
Honestly, the most beneficial movement for us all would simply be the 'average' movement.

Where beauty and fashion standards suggest averageness is ideal. Nothing more.

No 'fat acceptance' or 'all body types are beautiful' movement because this encourages obesity and poor health choices.

But if they can't make you unhappy about your body, they can't sell you their junk. No more whey powder and weights and exercise videos and clothes that make you look skinnier/more fit. People would probably just go for walks in the clothes they usually wear, and where's the money in that?

It wouldn't ruin the industry entirely, but it would weed out the people who go to the gym purely to increase attractiveness vs. those who do it for health and fitness.

Those who do still care about health and fitness would still do all that. I would still do all that. I'd still contribute to the industry.

There's a lot of people who lift weights purely to be better looking.

Without the industry constantly pushing such harsh beauty standards on both men and women, the only people that would try to look more exceptional and super amazing physically from head to toe are those that want to get an edge over everyone else and have the diligence to do so (though then again everyone wanting an advantage could just result in most people still putting excessive effort into looks and superficial appearance, but that's another story).

Dr.Pepper
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

20 Oct 2016, 10:06 pm

RetroGamer87 wrote:
I'm curious to see if more women are attracted to buff guys or skinny guys.

None of the above. Degree of muscularity isn't even a factor.

Outrider
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2016, 10:30 pm

What about overall health and fitness?

It's very surprising to hear from some women here they actually don't care about body type at all.

I'd rather have a nice body, average face and average personality, than an out of shape body but better than average personality. But apparently the out of shape guy always wins.

Are all of these men are completely equal in attractiveness if they all had a good personality, took care of their appearance, equal height, dressed what you as a woman consider nice, was hardworking, friendly, what you personally consider funny, you like being around him, and had a pleasant looking face?

Sometimes, I honestly wish more girls and women were more shallow and cared about looks the way us men seem to. Physical appearance can be changed and improved, including face to an extent. Personality can be, but is more innate and even been found to be partly genetic.

People can't express their personality, it's looks that people see first. You only really discover someone's personality and character once you get to know them, which takes anywhere from 6 months to several years.

I hear some girls and women say they might not be physically attracted to a guy at first and maybe even find his body unattractive, but will find his body attractive once she develops emotional feelings for him.

I honestly would be saddened if she wasn't attracted to me physically or even found me ugly in the beginning.

How nice does that sound? To know your partner thought you were an ugly, repulsive mug when you first met them, and the only reason they like your body now is because the chemicals in their brain called 'love' has blinded them.

Research has shown when people are in 'love' their brain underestimates negatives qualities and overestimates positive qualities, and you'll be attracted to them no matter what they look like. Love really is blind.

Yes, this is actually someone wishing girls and women were more shallow.

Maybe I'm not the only one, a lot of us Aspie males have struggled to make friends, talk to women or make social connections, we may have struggled with relationships due to our lack of social skills.

So, for some of us, we almost must use looks to gain leverage, because our 'character' and 'personality' or lack thereof aren't sufficient enough to gain any attention from women at all, let alone end up on a date with one.

Plenty of aspie men here are friendly, good and caring people.

But I see some women say 'niceness' is 'boring' and the 'bare minimum' of what a guy can be and 'if niceness is your only redeeming quality, you must be a very boring person'.

Well, not everyone can be or actually wants to be super funny, extraverted, confident, charming etc.

Some people just want to be fit and healthy, yet 'nice' and a good listener.

At this point, maybe the key is to use online dating and Tinder and if you're rejected, say you want to only be their friend and do that - only be their friend.

Get to know a ridiculously high amount of them, and actually be their friend. Spend time with them in purely platonic activities, and make sure she is 100% aware they aren't dates.

Do this, make 25 female friends, be friends with all of them for 2-6 years, and see if you get lucky and one falls for you.