Nate Silver: something profoundly evil about the Trump campa

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2016, 6:05 pm

Nate Silver of 538.com on the Trump campaign:

Quote:
I’m not sure what words to use, but there’s something profoundly evil about the Trump campaign at this point, and the people he attracts to it. And I think that’s the right word to use.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/eme ... at-a-week/

BaalChatzaf
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2016, 6:57 pm

beneficii wrote:

Quote:
I’m not sure what words to use, but there’s something profoundly evil about the Trump campaign at this point, and the people he attracts to it. And I think that’s the right word to use.

I resent that remark that Nate made. I am voting for Trump. Not because I like him (he rather disgusts me) and not because I think he would make a good president. I am voting for him because I have come to dislike the government of the U.S of A. and I think Trump, if elected, might do some real damage. We haven't even had the election yet, and Trump has wrecked the Republican Party. Trump is my very own political I.E.D. He is the crowbar and pick-ax I want to use to wreck the U.S. government.

I am extremely smart, I am well educated and I know an opportunity to do damage legally when I see it.

Mootoo
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2016, 7:15 pm

Well, I'm glad you feel so smartly horrible about your country you're willing to implement some legal form of terrorism. Do remember, of course, that it might affect you.

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2016, 7:24 pm

His metaphor more aptly describes an act of vandalism, not terrorism. You've trumped up a misdemeanour to a crime that carries a life sentence in a maximum security penitentiary.

When you think your government is intolerable enough to warrant getting rid of, but not quite bad enough to justify taking down by force, the only weapon available to you is your vote.

Mootoo
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2016, 7:41 pm

I doubt anyone can get rid of a government anywhere by simply elected a delusional billionaire.

This should really not be confused with anarchism.

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2016, 8:18 pm

Mootoo wrote:
I doubt anyone can get rid of a government anywhere by simply elected a delusional billionaire.

Voting in a democratic election is anarchism?

Mootoo
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2016, 8:51 pm

It's not, which was presumably what Baal's intention was...

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2016, 8:54 pm

Mootoo wrote:
It's not, which was presumably what Baal's intention was...

Only in upside-down land.

feral botanist
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2016, 8:59 pm

BaalChatzaf wrote:
beneficii wrote:

Quote:

I resent that remark that Nate made. I am voting for Trump. Not because I like him (he rather disgusts me) and not because I think he would make a good president. I am voting for him because I have come to dislike the government of the U.S of A. and I think Trump, if elected, might do some real damage. We haven't even had the election yet, and Trump has wrecked the Republican Party. Trump is my very own political I.E.D. He is the crowbar and pick-ax I want to use to wreck the U.S. government.

I am extremely smart, I am well educated and I know an opportunity to do damage legally when I see it.

If you think trump will do all of these evil, horrible things to the government, why do you resent Nate for saying that he is evil?

I don't mind people being wrong, but as long as they are honest about it.

sunset47
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

17 Oct 2016, 7:08 am

feral botanist wrote:
BaalChatzaf wrote:
[quote="beneficii" I don't mind people being wrong, but as long as they are honest about it.

I might be wrong, but I think that Trump is great for this country. There's a lot of fear-mongering out there and my BS meter is off the charts when it comes to Hillary. Thus, I cannot vote for her nor attempt to see her win thus I must vote for Trump. She leaves an awful distaste in my mouth that's worse than Obama.

Trump is a middle of the road politician who simply wants people to be able to grow their wealth. Lower taxes don't help the rich; they help high-income earners which is a huge difference. And because you can open a small business and earn a good income, you have less going to taxes which means you can get wealthy. And when you get wealthy, you can get even more wealthy. Or you can make bad decisions and end up being poor. That's the great part of our capitalist system. We can be a very generous and charitable nation and we should be able to take care of the needs of the poor, the widow, and the orphan. We also need everyone to succeed to the best of their ability.

EQ = 50
SQ = 37
AQ = 22
You are very likely neurotypical

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2016, 11:27 am

Trump is going on and on about how the only way he doesn't win is if the election is "rigged":

http://www.businessinsider.com/donald-t ... ed-2016-10

Basically, he's wondering, how could anybody but a bad person not absolutely love oh-beautiful-him?

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2016, 11:49 am

BaalChatzaf wrote:

Yeah, totally, indisputably not an evil attitude. :roll: With noble motives like those and a great leader like Trump, how dare anyone criticize?

feral botanist
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2016, 1:27 pm

sunset47 wrote:
feral botanist wrote:
BaalChatzaf wrote:
[quote="beneficii" I don't mind people being wrong, but as long as they are honest about it.

I might be wrong, but I think that Trump is great for this country. There's a lot of fear-mongering out there and my BS meter is off the charts when it comes to Hillary. Thus, I cannot vote for her nor attempt to see her win thus I must vote for Trump. She leaves an awful distaste in my mouth that's worse than Obama.

Trump is a middle of the road politician who simply wants people to be able to grow their wealth. Lower taxes don't help the rich; they help high-income earners which is a huge difference. And because you can open a small business and earn a good income, you have less going to taxes which means you can get wealthy. And when you get wealthy, you can get even more wealthy. Or you can make bad decisions and end up being poor. That's the great part of our capitalist system. We can be a very generous and charitable nation and we should be able to take care of the needs of the poor, the widow, and the orphan. We also need everyone to succeed to the best of their ability.

feral botanist
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2016, 8:43 pm

adifferentname wrote:
Mootoo wrote:

Voting in a democratic election is anarchism?

If everyone voted for themselves it would be :D

Mootoo
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2016, 10:46 pm

sunset47 wrote:
feral botanist wrote:
BaalChatzaf wrote:

And when you get wealthy, you can get even more wealthy.

http://www.salon.com/2016/08/19/monarch ... -o-partner

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2016, 2:05 am

sunset47 wrote:
feral botanist wrote:
BaalChatzaf wrote:

The trouble is, those business people who achieve so much success often will not share that wealth with their workers through wages. Instead, they are more concerned with saving money by hiring as few workers as possible, and paying them as low a wage as they can get away with. They get rich, but feel they have no responsibility other than to make money. That's not to say there aren't good business people out there who do pay a good wage to their laborers, but there are far too many of the bad ones.
Kansas under their right wing ideologue of a governor has cut taxes to a record low, expecting free enterprise to take care of their woes, but instead has turned their state into a tea bagger hellscape. Rich people got to keep practically all their money, which means the tax base Kansas had depended on has disappeared.
As for what Trump wants - I think he is only interested in feeding his narcissism, which has been his primary motivation in life.
And don't discount warnings about Trump as mere fear mongering. He's gained the support of the white supremacist movement with toned down language that's a smile and a wink to racism, but which those deplorables perfectly understand (Mexican "illegals" - code for Latinos - are rapists, killers, and drug dealers - or that everyone in Muslim American communities are covering for terrorists). His use of racist internet memes, and citing clearly racist "facts" (such as that most white murder victims are killed by blacks, or that blacks and Latinos are guilty of voter fraud, etc) reveals just how he's reaching out for their support.