Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

aurora borealis
Butterfly
Butterfly

17 Oct 2016, 11:46 am

Hello. You can call me Laura - that's not my real name, but my mum visits these boards and I want a degree of anonymity.

I'm 24 and not diagnosed with an ASD or ADHD-I, although it is suspected I have them both (along with OCD and dyspraxia). I have been diagnosed with dysgraphia since I was 9, despite showing symptoms as early as age 4, and given extra classes in order to learn how to hold a pen and write coherently when I was 5 or 6 (I just remember it being when I was in year 1). My assessment for ASD is coming up soon at Sheffield, where a number of my family have been assessed/diagnosed. I'm hoping they can help assess me for ADHD, or at least suggest to me who can, so I can relay it back to my GP (because that might actually encourage him to help me - I'm only being referred to Sheffield because I had a psychiatric nurse "on my case" after a mental health crisis earlier this year).

I had a few "special" (actually quite obsessive) interests when I was younger, but not so much any longer. I have things that I enjoy very much, though. I do listen to the same Birdy album over and over again, so there's that.

I am currently studying social sciences at college, and I sent off my university application at the end of last week. I want to study forensic psychology and eventually work with offenders and victims of crime during the court process.

In other news, I quite like train journeys, listening to music, watching Doctor Who and various crime dramas - my favourite being Scott & Bailey. I don't like fashion per se, but I know what fashions I like, I like blue clothes and pink clothes, skirts and dresses, and always wear black school shoes (because they're always practical with a small degree of style, and a small or no heel - they're also cheaper than shoes for adults) or black trainers.

I also have a strong preference for being situated on the left-hand side of people and sitting at the end of rows; I can deal out sarcasm and tell jokes, but I don't understand tone of voice very well, so I can't take it from anyone. I prefer sitcoms with "canned" laughter - I know what I find funny, and it's not always the jokes.

I hate ambiguous questions and when people drop hints - I understand neither, I can't help it. I'm not fond of going on holiday to hot places either, I prefer city breaks - at least that way, I can retain a sense of normality, i.e. going for walks, learning something; lying on a beach in the heat is far too radical a departure from my normal day to day.

That's me, folks.

Autism assessment coming in late October.
Politically right, but open to other viewpoints. Not a pain in the neck Conservative voter.
Functionalist at heart, but quite like studying Marx.

Sheila Nye
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

17 Oct 2016, 3:17 pm

Welcome Laura. I am new here too and also love trains.

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2016, 3:34 pm

Welcome! Interesting; I prefer to sit in the middle of rows. Sitting on the end just feels so...exposed, whereas sitting in the middle makes me feel as if I blend in.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2016, 4:24 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :)

RoadRatt
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2016, 1:06 am

Hey Laura welcome. :sunny: