McCain: Republicans will block all Hillary SCOTUSes .

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Shoulld a Republican Congress block all SCOTUS nominees by a President Hillary ?
Yes , yes , a million times yes ! !! !! !! !! !! Any election of Hillary is illegitimate , anyway ~ Because we say so ! 29%  29%  [ 2 ]
No . 71%  71%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 7

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2016, 7:28 pm

An oldie but goodie-
http://www.salon.com/2016/10/17/john-mc ... y-clinton/
Remember how the Reeps , when the SC went down to 8 members , said " We want to give the American people a chance to decide " on SCOTUS by seeing what party they would vote in ?
NOW they're saying " Forget that s**t :twisted: :P ! " .
Reep apologists ~ Please don't bother telling me " It's entirely legal ! " (for Congress to let the SCOTUS dwindle ever downward because they didn't get their Prez in) , maybe it is ~ Would you , then , defend a Democratic Congress to a Republican president doing the same ?
Is McCain trying to repair his credibility with " the coo-koo birds " wing of The Party Of Lincoln ? :mrgreen: (NOTE: Yes , I know McCain's staff , after this staement was reported , issued a statement sortofkindof :wink: walking this back .)

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

Last edited by ASS-P on 18 Oct 2016, 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

18 Oct 2016, 7:31 pm

Hillary will be impeached and removed from office before the end of her first term if worse comes to worst

no, I have no interest in working with a criminal

luan78zao
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Oct 2016, 7:46 pm

You mean, as if they actually had principles? As if McCain had principles? It is to laugh.

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission – which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." – Ayn Rand

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2016, 1:14 pm

McCain also said he doesn't trust Trump with potential SCOTUS picks either.

In either case, I would expect that kind of rhetoric from Ted Cruz, but not McCain.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Earthbound
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2016, 1:20 pm

I wish the USA was actually more united. Democrats and republicans are immature little brats! Crime is a big issue, gun control is a big issue, so is homeless, the roads and much much more. They can't compromise so stuff doesn't get done. So pathetic.

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2016, 12:55 pm

This points out an enormous gap in the constitutional framework of the United States.

The power of appointment is clearly vested in the Executive branch, and extends to the full range of administrative, judicial and military offices. But that power is held in check by the requirement of Senate confirmation.

So far, so good.

But what happens when the Senate, rather than exercising its power to confirm or deny appointments, instead begins to tread on the Executive branch's authority by stating that they will not act on the President's nominations (as they are doing right now, in fact), or when they prejudicially refuse to consider any nominees that do not meet their requirements?

McCain's suggestion is a deriliction of a constitutionally mandated responsibility. The Senate gets to say yes or no. But the Senate ought not properly to exercise that authority prejudicially. And the Senate ought not properly to refuse to exercise that authority.

But there is nothing in the Constitution that can compel the Senate. A glaring oversight.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2016, 3:07 pm

I'm sure if they appoint a pro constitution judge the senate would approve. They won't approve Hilary gut the constitution judges as it's their job to defend the constitution

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2016, 3:50 pm

...I do not agree with your assertion that any judge Hillary (and , by extension anyhow , any Democrat) would propose is a " gut the Constitution " judge !

sly279 wrote:
I'm sure if they appoint a pro constitution judge the senate would approve. They won't approve Hilary gut the constitution judges as it's their job to defend the constitution

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2016, 4:38 pm

Part of the checks and balances is that the Senate is needed to approve a SCOTUS nominee, president does not make the decision by decree by design. If the GOP doesn't want to approve nominees then they shouldn't, they won control of the Senate for these very reason. Nothing in the constitution says that there have to be 9 justices, nothing says it has to be an odd number even, they could keep it 8 permanently or perhaps pass legislation which says the next opening will not be filled to bring it down to 7. GOP under no circumstances should capitulate on 1st and 2nd Amendment issues, they should use whatever tool at their disposal. Elections have consequences right?

Mootoo
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2016, 4:45 pm

Except the Senate is seemingly going to be won by Democrats: http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls ... e_map.html

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2016, 4:54 pm

Mootoo wrote:
Except the Senate is seemingly going to be won by Democrats: http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls ... e_map.html

Maybe, maybe not, looks to be pretty close. Depends on how voters punish backstabbers like McCain and Ayotte. In 2012 the senate races were way off so I wouldn't be surprised if that happens again.

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2016, 5:05 pm

...What , making the SCOTUS dwindle down to nothing if the Senate doesn't get exactly what it wants is checks and balances/reasonable government ?
BULLDINKY ! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! 8) :evil: :lol:
McCain said he/the Reps would block ALL Hillary Court nominees , remember ! !! !! !! !! !!
And , incidentally , the President having her or his perogative to nominate , and the Semat7e (yes ,. yes...even if it isn't spelled out) to reasonably consider her nominees is on of the PRESIDENT'S perogative ! :x :evil: :wink:
Really , is seen as fulfilling that Grover Norquist " drown government in the bathtub " thang :roll: ? :ninja: :P

Jacoby wrote:
Part of the checks and balances is that the Senate is needed to approve a SCOTUS nominee, president does not make the decision by decree by design. If the GOP doesn't want to approve nominees then they shouldn't, they won control of the Senate for these very reason. Nothing in the constitution says that there have to be 9 justices, nothing says it has to be an odd number even, they could keep it 8 permanently or perhaps pass legislation which says the next opening will not be filled to bring it down to 7. GOP under no circumstances should capitulate on 1st and 2nd Amendment issues, they should use whatever tool at their disposal. Elections have consequences right?

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2016, 5:10 pm

The size of the SCOTUS is not set in the constitution so this has happened before, constitutionally this 100% okay and there is nothing that can be done about it.

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2016, 5:17 pm

...Other things can be done as well ! !! !! !! !! (Meaning the President using her " bully pulpit " , etc.)
I very much doubt that the President's opposition has ever before announced plans to 100% tantrum against the Pres ! !! !! !! !! !! What was that , " elections have consequences " ? Like who the President is ?
When FDR proposed packing the Court , it was swiftly shot down , and even his big fans think it was a rotten idea !

Jacoby wrote:
The size of the SCOTUS is not set in the constitution so this has happened before, constitutionally this 100% okay and there is nothing that can be done about it.

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2016, 6:15 pm

...So McCain is a " backstabber " ? (What he do ! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! :lol: )
Didn't he just mouth the policy idea you Like , Like , Very Much Like ? :P How fickle :mrgreen: ! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!
Actually , as you sit in front of your keyboard and fumilate - I tend to think Ayotte and McCain will WIN their respective states ~ " All politcs is local " - Tip O'Neill . So there :P !

Jacoby wrote:
Mootoo wrote:

Maybe, maybe not, looks to be pretty close. Depends on how voters punish backstabbers like McCain and Ayotte. In 2012 the senate races were way off so I wouldn't be surprised if that happens again.

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2016, 10:00 pm

...All you folks here who defend the Republicans saying they will freeze ALL Hillary nominations 100% , justifying it with " elections have consequences " and so forth ~ What is your objective ?
To have Hillary say " Okay ! Okay ! I will let Congress 100% initiate nominees for the Supreme Court , I will stay out of it 100% . " ?
Really ?