Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2016, 11:07 pm

I'm VERY SENSITIVE to noise, it's getting worse, now it brothers me so badly when my cat meows, her meowing doesn't brother me all the time. She can give me anxiety & she can make me cry, she been meowing alot, I don't know if anything wrong with her or she is bored. I don't want to get mad at her. When I get my anxiety, I can't calm down, I feel like I'm going lose it & feel like I'm going crazy.

What to you do with tooooo much noise?

SH90
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2016, 2:08 am

I am bothered when there is zero noise; my ears ring. So usually when I am in the bathroom, I will put some music on. Multiple sources of loud noises overwhelm me (sport bars, concerts) and I just avoid them. Oddly I worked in a factory for over a year, I was never bothered.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2016, 2:18 am

Kitty4670 wrote:
I'm VERY SENSITIVE to noise, it's getting worse, now it brothers me so badly when my cat meows, her meowing doesn't brother me all the time. She can give me anxiety & she can make me cry, she been meowing alot, I don't know if anything wrong with her or she is bored. I don't want to get mad at her. When I get my anxiety, I can't calm down, I feel like I'm going lose it & feel like I'm going crazy.

What to you do with tooooo much noise?
can you wear ear plugs when the noise gets too much?

dossa
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2016, 8:19 am

^ I was thinking ear plugs as well... or a pair of those big headphones if things in the ear canal are bothersome. The headphones never really cancel out all of the noise, but they can take the edge off and help a little.

I always hear things... like the electronics in the living room even when they are off. Noise can get oppressive to me. Sometimes I will cut the power to a room in my house just to give myself a semi break. I do not like baths so I don't do those, but if you can tolerate a bath, plug your ears and submerge you head just enough to get your ears underwater. It can also be a nice, temporary break from noise. Granted, they are very temporary fixes, but sometimes a little break helps me be able to cope better... it can take me down a notch or two and then I can better deal later.

Curious to, do you ever do mindfulness for anxiety? If that kinda thing works for you, have you tried using a citrus fruit? Sometimes for me, taking an orange and sticking my thumbnail in the skin of it is really helpful for me with mindfulness. I think to that it helps engage my other senses and numbs the sound crap a bit. I find oranges to be both pleasant to the smell and touch so they can help calm me down which in return helps me tolerate other things (like noise) soooo much better.

Hope you find some relief.

Exuvian
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2016, 5:35 pm

I agree with the earplugs suggestions. It's probably best to use them only for the really bad situations though, because you can acclimate to the lower overall levels and become even more sensitive if you overdo it.

Maybe it would be helpful to talk to your doctor about some anxiety meds so you aren't having to deal with that as much along with the sound sensitivity.

DancingCorpse
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2016, 11:51 pm

I wear headphones most of the day and night and it cuts my meltdowns and stress significantly because I avoid the pressure building up where noise is concerned, when the headphones come off, I start collecting sound assaults and this builds up in the wonderful cauldron of my sensory and thought whirlpool... when outside I can head for bookshops and libraries and tree canopies and recharge as I don't really like wearing headphones outside which is funny but it doesn't do much for me when I'm already being buffeted by a plethora of other sensory crap.