Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

LonelyJar
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2016, 2:32 am

In the early days of three-dimensional video games, things looked... wonky to say the least. A good number of games (for the Nintendo 64, for the later Sega consoles, for the early PlayStation consoles, and even for PCs) simply have not aged well in terms of visuals. Of course, this doesn't apply to ALL such games, as some fans may attest, and I don't see anything wrong with that. If some people obsess over pixels and sprites, why not show old-school CGI some love?

http://www.reddit.com/r/low_poly
http://the-regressor.tumblr.com

Minecraft stuff gets own page: Minecraft Masterpieces

whatamievendoing
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2016, 6:12 am

I can agree that many older 3D games haven't aged well visuals-wise, but in this case too, the exception confirms the rule. Crash Bandicoot, for one, has top-notch visuals even for today's standards and it came out two decades ago. And even the worst-looking games have a sense of beauty about them IMO.

Then again, I happen to like low-poly stuff in general, so... :lol:

LonelyJar
Veteran
Veteran

LegoMaster2149
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2017, 3:25 pm

Early 3-D games look amazing to me! :)

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2017, 7:23 pm

reading this, I'm realizing how old I am for having expected... early 3D. Not so much Nintendo 64, but SNES....

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2017, 6:07 pm

I think the reason they aren't getting pixel love is because it's not as stylized as pixel graphics, making it more uncanny.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

Terminus
Butterfly
Butterfly

24 Sep 2017, 7:54 pm

The arcade version of Virtua Racing is my favorite example of early 3d graphics. The main reason is because it doesn't use textures, so the design is much cleaner than other early 3d graphics with very low res textures. Early 3d graphics suffer more from low res textures than just lack of polygons.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2017, 8:52 pm

LegoMaster2149 wrote:
Early 3-D games look amazing to me! :)

But do they look realistic to you? Maybe you appreciate their stylized look, because most people don't consider them realistic in the slightest.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う