Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

KanyeWestFan
Toucan
Toucan

21 Oct 2016, 8:53 pm

Once in a while, when someone tells me something. I dont hear them its like my mind automatically goes blank or something. It has nothing to do with not hearing them correctly like they are speaking too low. When they speak, my brain puts them on mute.

Exuvian
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2016, 8:58 pm

So it's like you see their mouth moving but don't hear any audio, or more like instantly forget everything they said in real-time, but remember that there was sound?

The 2nd version has happened to me sometimes when I'm really tired.

KanyeWestFan
Toucan
Toucan

21 Oct 2016, 9:21 pm

The first one but I don't even see their mouth moving, my mind just goes out

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2016, 11:53 pm

Sometimes when someone talks to me, I can hear them but can't make out what they are saying.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

feral botanist
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2016, 12:38 am

I think I hear them make mouth noise, but it never even makes it into short term memory.

liveandrew
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Oct 2016, 3:02 am

feral botanist wrote:
I think I hear them make mouth noise, but it never even makes it into short term memory.

Same with me. If I'm doing something and someone asks me something, I sort of hear that they're asking a question although I have no idea what it is. I then subconsciously reply, usually with "yes". I do not remember either the question or my response. Several minutes later I may look up from what I was doing and become aware that someone spoke to me a while back. I'll ask for confirmation that they said something and for the question to be repeated. I'll then give the correct response. I assume it's my inability to multitask that's the issue.

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 46 of 200

Listener of all things noisy, viewer of all things bloody, writer of all things sh*t.

mikeman7918
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2016, 3:45 am

Every once in a while I hear someone speak and it doesn't register in my mind that someone is saying something for as much as 7 seconds before I realize that I just heard the sound of a human voice and that I probably better pay attention. There are also some times when someone speaks to me and I don't comprehend a word of it so I say "What?" and as they are repeating themselves something clicks and I know what they just said. It can be annoying sometimes.

Diagnosed with Asperger's, ADD, and Generalized Anxiety Disorder in 2004.
In denial that it was a problem until early 2016.

Deviant Art

racheypie666
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2016, 4:23 am

I sometimes catch myself not 'recording' what another person is saying mid-way through a conversation. I guess I still appear quite attentive because they keep going as normal, but suddenly I'll be like "aah! She's talking and I have no idea what she just said!". I think NTs do this too though, as I've seen it portrayed in films and television to an extent.

A similar thing I do which I think is ASD-related; I will have a conversation with somebody and consciously hear them, reply when appropriate etc., and then 5 seconds later I'll realise I have no idea what they said. This usually happens when they're giving me new information or instructions. e.g. when I show up for work one of my colleagues will go for his break, and before he goes he gives me a handover of what he's done in the morning, and what I need to look at now. Though I always engage with him I very often forget what he said almost instantly; I think he can see the look of confusion on my face when this happens because nowadays he says 'did you get that? You don't seem totally with-it today, Rach :) ' and then he repeats what I need to know :oops: . He's nice about it but it does get embarrassing...

InsomniaGrl
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2016, 4:29 am

League_Girl wrote:
Sometimes when someone talks to me, I can hear them but can't make out what they are saying.

Same with me :?

liveandrew
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Oct 2016, 6:03 am

mikeman7918 wrote:
Every once in a while I hear someone speak and it doesn't register in my mind that someone is saying something for as much as 7 seconds before I realize that I just heard the sound of a human voice and that I probably better pay attention. There are also some times when someone speaks to me and I don't comprehend a word of it so I say "What?" and as they are repeating themselves something clicks and I know what they just said. It can be annoying sometimes.

Yes, exactly! It takes a while to decode speech if you're not ready for that sort of input.

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 46 of 200

Listener of all things noisy, viewer of all things bloody, writer of all things sh*t.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2016, 6:28 am

I am wondering if that is a form of petit mal seizure.

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2016, 7:00 am

Yeh, I go into my own world so much that sound cuts out, except loud sounds. I was told people thought I was a snob at school for it. People said hello to me and I ignored them because I never heard them.

feral botanist
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2016, 9:21 am

liveandrew wrote:
feral botanist wrote:

Same with me. If I'm doing something and someone asks me something, I sort of hear that they're asking a question although I have no idea what it is. I then subconsciously reply, usually with "yes". I do not remember either the question or my response. Several minutes later I may look up from what I was doing and become aware that someone spoke to me a while back. I'll ask for confirmation that they said something and for the question to be repeated. I'll then give the correct response. I assume it's my inability to multitask that's the issue.

Like waking up in the middle of a conversation :o

saxgeek
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2016, 11:27 am

So it's basically like the adults talking in Charlie Brown?

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2016, 11:42 am

saxgeek wrote:
So it's basically like the adults talking in Charlie Brown?

Thats what it's like for me and it makes me feel like a terrible human being :(

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

Black_Cat
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 Oct 2016, 11:44 am

yes