I haven't had a meltdown in years am I still autistic?

Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2016, 4:04 pm

But you have to remember that a diagnosis of Autism is based on symptoms and traits not on causes. So someone could have received a Autism diagnosis when it could have been a result of contact with environmental factors in infancy or very early childhood. In those cases, it has happened in some cases that when the environmental factors were dealt with, the Autistic symptoms and traits were reversed and that is why some people say that their kids were cured from Autism.

When someone is Autistic from genetic issues, the Autism sets in as the brain is developing during the second trimester of pregnancy. In that case, the Autism cannot be reversed or cured. The brain has developed that way from the womb. The Autistic symptoms and traits are not a result of an outside factor which has attacked and affected the brain after birth. But because when getting a diagnosis, the causes of the symptoms and traits are not considered, it is possible that in some cases, the Autism can be reversed by removing or changing the environmental factor. But in genetically based Autism, that cannot happen.

Now we can't say that one is real Autism and the other is not because Autism is determined by the symptoms, not by the causes. So in both cases the Autism is real and legitimate. But in some cases the symptoms and traits can be reversed but in other cases they cannot be.

Many people also have associative sensory sensitivities where they are sensitive to stimuli because they are associating that stimuli with a past trauma or specific unpleasant experience that happened to them when they were very young. In this case, the sensitivity can diminish or even disappear over time or with therapy. But I think that for someone like me who is sensitive because I simply have way too many neurons, there is nothing that can change the level of my sensitivity. Nothing ever has and I don't know if anything ever will. There is that new theory about excessive potassium and magnesium and calcium. We will have to see if more research gets done on that and how it turns out. But for now, I know that nothing I know of can change my sensitivities.

Wreck It Ralph

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2016, 4:16 pm

I got my threads mixed up. I responded in my last response thinking I was responding to something else that is the topic of another thread. But it's ok. I'll still leave the response as is but just so you guys know, I got a little mixed up. :D

Wreck It Ralph

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2016, 4:53 pm

My parents also never took my psychiatrist seriously because they suspected him of being homosexual.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2016, 4:56 pm

MagicMeerkat wrote:
My parents also never took my psychiatrist seriously because they suspected him of being homosexual.

What? Are they homophobes?

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2016, 5:17 pm

League_Girl wrote:
MagicMeerkat wrote:

What? Are they homophobes?

Yep. Racists too.