Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Bloke1975
Butterfly
Butterfly

27 Oct 2016, 1:49 am

Do any ADD sufferers have the problem sometimes that severe boredom just grabs you and you cannot overcome it?

What happens to me is that it's like a steamroller just pushes me down into the sleeping position and I am overcome with sleepiness. I just have to sleep.

Sometimes now though I can recognise the signs and I have found a way of treating it.

(I am prescribed tramadol for joint pain)

If I take one tramadol as soon as I feel the boredom/sleepiness within an hour I will have energy and motivation enough to be able to get things done.

It perks me up. It's like there is a void in my motivation and that bridges the gap.

I mentioned this to my pharmacist and she said taking one tramadol is not harmful.

sternburg
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 Nov 2016, 10:07 am

Yes I get extremely bored when I don t have any ritaline. It is unbearable.

This_Amoeba
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2016, 4:33 pm

I get affected by overwhelming boredom too, even when I take my stimulant adhd meds. Sometimes I'll even get started on something and be really excited about it then suddenly realize I don't care and stop. To be honest though it sounds like you might be addicted to your pain meds and you should probably get that looked into before it spirals out of control. Opiods are extremely addictive and dangerous, and it's even been declared a "state of emergency" for opoid addiction where I live.

xile123
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Dec 2016, 5:11 pm

Yep, I've suffered from boredom all my life.

Life only seems interesting when I'm taking a substance (caffeine, prescription, illicit etc), otherwise I'm just a dull husk.

saxgeek
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2016, 2:05 pm

I have ADD and don't really suffer from boredom much. The main thing is lethargy. If I'm off my medication, I'm fatigued and want to nap all day. When I am bored, I am more awake, since I'm not doing anything, but my mind is still active thinking about something, which can keep me from falling asleep.

spiderman123
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Feb 2017, 8:55 pm

have you tried sun tanning or baking soda baths?

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2017, 11:15 pm

I haven't been outright diagnosed with ADHD, but I suspect I have it, since I've been told I exhibit traits of it. A big problem I've had for much of my life is that I'll often be bored, but not feel like doing anything either. I've been told this is essentially anhedonia, and I guess it would be sorta correct, though I'm not sure.

Anhedonia is when you don't take pleasure in anything, and much of the time for me this is true, but it's not necessarily all the time. Sometimes I'll stumble across something that will bring me out of an "anhedonic" state, so I don't know, does this mean it's really anhedonia then?

PIgeek
Raven
Raven

09 Feb 2017, 4:05 pm

i am easily bored. when it happens i use to drink too much coffee or take some kind of mushroom, but that is rare.

and the white knight is talking backwards
and the red queen is off with her head
remember what the dormouse said
feed your head, feed your head"

White rabbit -
Jefferson Airplane

PerfectlyDarkTails
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2017, 12:02 am

ADD, any attention issues diagnosed or not as a result of having some 90% chance or so co-morbid with the duel Tourettes-Aspergers.

Boredom can be variable, it can be quite mild being fed up in what I'm doing, other times it can be crushing. At it's worst, I'd get over excited, profusely yawn a lot, pace, babble with or without the presence of vocal tics during one. There's nothing that cures it, like playing a different game, doing something else on the computer or online. Nothing but time seems to fix it, during such state of mind, sense of time is heightened.

No idea of the actual trigger, I'm normally fine with my structured daily routine, to the point it must be done, as a suspected OCD or any other obsessive compulsion, gain, extremely common to whom hold a dual neurological disability as mine, boredom this bad is the exception to my routine, not doing what i need to do also results in higher anxiety. Boredom also therefore is often a cause of some anxiety as well, rarely to the point of panic.

AS 168/200, NT: 20/ 200, AQ=45 EQ=15, SQ=78, IQ=135