Exercise for People who Hate Exercise?

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

ThisAdamGuy
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2016, 12:51 pm

So, I want to lose weight but I don't like sports, don't like running, etc. Walking is nice, but I haven't been losing any weight with it. I know those are the best ways for losing weight, besides dieting, but I'd prefer to find something I actually enjoy doing. Like, right now I'm thinking about getting an exercise bike so I can use while watching Netflix or something. Is that a good idea? Or am I just going to have to suck it up and do stuff I don't like?

Kovu
Raven
Raven

30 Oct 2016, 1:58 pm

ThisAdamGuy wrote:
So, I want to lose weight but I don't like sports, don't like running, etc. Walking is nice, but I haven't been losing any weight with it. I know those are the best ways for losing weight, besides dieting, but I'd prefer to find something I actually enjoy doing. Like, right now I'm thinking about getting an exercise bike so I can use while watching Netflix or something. Is that a good idea? Or am I just going to have to suck it up and do stuff I don't like?

Try swimming. Swimming is great and one of the most complete sports you can practice.

I'm a welterweight martial artist (63kg.).

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2016, 2:09 pm

I get a lot of exercise gardening--I grow lots of flowering plants.
But, the really hard exercise is chopping up trees.

racheypie666
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2016, 2:21 pm

I firmly believe there is at least one exercise out there for everyone; there's a lot of choice besides gym work and jogging.

Maybe try something that has an interesting or cultural element to it, something you would benefit from mentally as well as physically. Martial arts, for example, offer a great workout as well as the opportunity to learn something new and feel more mentally,dare-I-say spiritually balanced.

The main thing to remember though is that exercise gets easier. It might not be fun to start with but as you make progress and see yourself improving you will get a boost to your self-esteem as well as your fitness. Also, endorphins are your friend: even if you've just attempted a workout from hell, endorphins will be waiting for you at the end!

KimD
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2016, 2:53 pm

I would bear in mind that while "cardio" is crucial for health, fitness, weight loss, etc., so is strength training, and that can actually help increase your metabolism, to boot. Perhaps while you're seeking one or more forms of cardio exercise, you can get started on building strength. There are tons of videos out there if you are a DIY-person looking for some ideas to get you started; just be sure to learn proper form, not overdo anything, and remember to stretch!

racheypie666
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2016, 2:57 pm

^^^ seconded. Whatever you do, a balance of strength, cardio, flexibility and recovery will yield the best results.

jellyfiShenanigan
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

13 Nov 2016, 3:42 pm

racheypie666 wrote:
I firmly believe there is at least one exercise out there for everyone; there's a lot of choice besides gym work and jogging.

Maybe try something that has an interesting or cultural element to it, something you would benefit from mentally as well as physically. Martial arts, for example, offer a great workout as well as the opportunity to learn something new and feel more mentally, dare-I-say spiritually balanced.

The main thing to remember though is that exercise gets easier. It might not be fun to start with but as you make progress and see yourself improving you will get a boost to your self-esteem as well as your fitness. Also, endorphins are your friend: even if you've just attempted a workout from hell, endorphins will be waiting for you at the end!

I'm currently taking lifesaving classes. I had to maintain my fitness outside the pool. I struggle with balance and coordination, so I started Taekwondo which is a Korean martial arts whose main techniques are kicks. It helped me to control my anger, mostly frustration and boredom-induced meltdowns. :wtg:

Of course, I strongly agree with Kovu. When you practice a sport, the most important is fun. If it's not there, motivation is nonexistent.

DataB4
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2016, 4:08 pm

I find exercise classes more motivating because they require some commitment. Once I'm withthe group, once I show up, I go through the class and feel some sense of accomplishment afterward and even sometimes during. I don't seem to get much of that endorphin high people talk about though, wish I could change that.

ThisAdamGuy
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2016, 4:13 pm

Since I originally posted this, I've gone out and bought an exercise bike off Craigslist. It's a really good model, for what I paid for it. Mile counter, calories burned counter, and adjustable magnetic resistance for the pedals. The only problem is, the seat is extremely uncomfortable. I can't even use it for half an hour before my, uh, lower middle body (if you catch my meaning) is completely numb. And apparently that's a bad thing, because when I looked it up on the internet they said that if you do that too much it can become permanent. I've tried sitting a pillow on top of the seat, but it doesn't work. Any suggestions?

DancingCorpse
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2016, 10:51 pm

I don't like working out or keeping fit but I am never going back to being a junkie scarecrow, it doesn't make me feel happy or anything either but I stick to my schedule all the same, I'll never 'like' exercise except hiking but I find what it causes preferable to not having such effects.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2016, 12:12 am

I've got an exercise bike. After a break due to a sprained knee I decided to go on it again. I wasn't expecting to lose weight just by going on it, but I actually found myself putting on weight. After putting on half a stone I stopped going on it.

Exercise dvds/videos are a no no for me. They are all too quick for me. I like swimming but the swimming pool moved from near me to the outskirts of town several years ago. There is no way with my poor sense of direction ,and fear of unfamiliar places, that I can get to it.

There is walking but I am limited where I can walk ,which is basically the centre of town. That coupled with walking by myself makes it uninspiring.
I know there are walking clubs but with my poor sense of direction I would need to be sure someone else was with me.
I did like it when I did a walking group via the mental health centre, and the walks I had with the befriender I had.