Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

TrishC7
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 May 2007, 4:51 am

I'm 48 & still having periods. Just curious about others here?

girl7000
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2007, 7:12 am

Hi,

My mother menstruated until well into her 50s. It didn't cause her any health problems or anything- just the same minor inconvenience that menstruation seems to be at any age!

tigerlily
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

11 May 2007, 7:54 am

hmm. well i am 52 now and its a year since i had a period. i would like to add that as an aspie who didnt know it i had a hard time at puberty and have had a hard time again at menopause. the hormone shifts dont help. also i had very strong aspie symptoms after each of my 4 babies. i was diagnosed 6 months ago. at least i understand myself better and am less hard on myself.

rosered
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2007, 4:23 pm

You ladies are LUCKY ....

I'm 28 so have years and years left of this "curse"

Are there any women who don't mind/resent having periods?

I hate them! :twisted:

My hormones go crazy, at best i cry alot, at worse i feel suicidal.

I think mother nature has a mean streak. LOL

TrishC7
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 May 2007, 2:24 am

rosered,

sorry you have such bad periods. My hormones (or brain) is crazy pretty much all the time, and I don't have much difference. Have you talked to a good doc about this?

RachelLugiagirl
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 May 2007, 7:12 am

I stll have periods at 50 and apart from the od month or one period of 4 months and one period of eleven months when i was very stressed and not eating right they have not missed. I HATe them too. I can't use tampons on very heavy days, only when they are comfortable to get in and out, and I always leak on sanitary towels, I've had to go over to big pads . A friend thinks I have fibroids. Do you think it would help if I wrote out a list of things for the Dr? i have a new one now and he lets my friend in but it is still difficult to remember to say things, and i am frightened he will think it is like shopping list. The pill did not help either it gave me 2 periods a month and some very long heavy ones and made my fits worse. i was hoping having children would stop it but no luck and nor does sterilization. I hope some of you get helped.

ZanneMarie
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2007, 8:09 am

Rachel,

Sounds like how I was when I had fibroids. They tried Depo Provera on me (the only thing they had back then) and it made it much, much worse. My old high Estrogen pills stopped the bleeding, but I still had seven of them and my uterus was as big as a six month pregnancy because they were so large. I just had the thing taken out. It wasn't like I used it anyways. I couldn't stand the fact that it was annoying me and causing me to be sick all the time. Besides, every woman in my family had her period until into her 60's and I was only in my 30's when that happened. I wasn't about to put up with it that long. I also came from a long line of super breeders on both sides. It probably had to do with the regularity of our periods. Mine started on the same exact day within the same hour and that didn't even change when I was on the pill for years. I've read the more regular you are the easier it is to get pregnant. Looking around at my family, I believe it!

Anyway, go get checked out. There are other ways to treat Fibroids now so you don't need to worry about having a hysterectomy. They have more options and you shouldn't hesitate out of fear. Hope that helps.

to save me from ruin

girl7000
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2007, 4:05 pm

I'd actually quite like a hysterectomy - they kind where they leave in your ovaries so that you don't need to take hormone tablets.

I have symptoms of endometriosis and also don't want children so I don't see the point of going through basically being ill and sick and disgusted with myself every month.

Does anyone have any advice about this or any relevant experiences to share?

Thanks.