The Credibility of the Aspeger Syndrome

Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Leticia_Brazil
Butterfly
Butterfly

31 Oct 2016, 6:44 am

Hi there!

I´m new, here.

The syndrome aspeger has been highly publicized in recent times. If necessary, the psychiatric has already medications indicated for this syndrome.

Recently, I was interested by Asperger Syndrome, because my psychologist commented suspect that I had it.

But I did a research on the subject, superficially. I watched and read some reports of people who consider themselves aspeger.

For me, what defines someone as asperger is very vague. Very vague, really.

I had the impression that most people may have a degree of autism. But what is the problem? Why classify this as more a disease?

I have trouble making friends, but many other people have this difficulty too. In fact, I think it's very difficult to make good friends - I believe this is true for everyone.

Superficias friends, that's easy. The opposite isn't it.

Living together isn't easy.

However, I watched a French documentary this syndrome ("Le Cervau d'Hugo" - "Hugo's Brain"). In this video, people who declared Asperger, they are similar: similar problems and similar difficulties. They appeared to mental problems, but they were smart. But I don't consider myself like these people of video - that's what I think.

Well, I have many doubts about Aspeger.

What do you think about veracity of this syndrome?

Thank you.

lifelovebeauty
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 Oct 2016, 6:57 am

While it may not be the easiest to understand, Asperger's goes a lot further than "not knowing how to make friends." Many neurotypical people struggle with forming friendships, yes, but they generally know the rules of social interaction. They know how to interact with people when they have to, they just might be awkward or shy and need a little push. Us Aspies tend to want friends, it's just that our lack of social skills pushes people away. Unknowingly making inappropriate comments, standing too close, and talking too loudly often repels any potential friends, whereas neurotypical people instinctively know to not do those things. :)

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2016, 7:01 am

You probably haven't done enough research on it. There are many people who are socially awkward and don't have Aspergers. That's true.

Aspergers is (usually) "higher functioning" autism. People with autism have difficulty processing sensory input in "real time." They also have difficulty processing social input in "real time."

As an illustration, people with autism respond rather extremely to fluorescent lights where most people don't.

People with autism frequently do not comprehend the intentions
of people in "real time." They might comprehend after thinking it over, though. Sometimes, it's too late. The person has been taken advantage of already.

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2016, 7:21 am

So, you're asking people on an autism support site whether they think their own condition is real?
That's a little...autistic of you. :lol:

Leticia_Brazil
Butterfly
Butterfly

31 Oct 2016, 7:36 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
You probably haven't done enough research on it. There are many people who are socially awkward and don't have Aspergers. That's true.

Aspergers is (usually) "higher functioning" autism. People with autism have difficulty processing sensory input in "real time." They also have difficulty processing social input in "real time."

As an illustration, people with autism respond rather extremely to fluorescent lights where most people don't.

People with autism frequently do not comprehend the intentions
of people in "real time." They might comprehend after thinking it over, though. Sometimes, it's too late. The person has been taken advantage of already.

Interesting. Thank you.

YippySkippy wrote:
So, you're asking people on an autism support site whether they think their own condition is real?
That's a little...autistic of you. :lol:

Maybe you're right. :lol:

I have a great friend. He often repel people by making direct and candid comments. He is misunderstood many times. Some people get upset. But most people who live with him understand. However, he feels lonely.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2016, 8:01 am

I think in some cases the degree of autism is so superficial it barely exists.

anagram
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2016, 8:09 am

there's drug treatments for anxiety, ocd, depression and whatnot (which are things that are often connected with autism/asperger's), but there's no drug teatment for autism/asperger's itself. it's not a disease or an illness, it's a (generally problematic) sort of "brain type" that manifests itself through a combination of:

1) sensory anomalies (like oversensitivity to sounds that don't bother most everyone else); 2) the absence of some basic social instincts (like the instinct to show interest in other people and their lives when you don't really have any particular interest in them); and 3) often also the presence of an unusual need to find some type of logical / mathematical / categorical structure in everything (or sometimes focused on one very specific thing and all its possible details, with no interest in anything else)

i remember when i was trying to understand "what was it that i had" (looking for a categorical structure...), i read about asperger's and saw videos and stuff and i thought: "no, that's just not me". but then later a friend commented that another friend (who i identified with) seemed to have asperger's, and it made me curious again. it was when i saw this video that i started to consider the possibility more seriously. i don't agree with all the things that the guy says, and i don't identify with the exact same things as he does, but the video was enlightening to me anyway

the thing is, i have a rather limited imagination (which is also typical of the so-called "autism spectrum" -- which, yes, is a vague thing. it's a real thing, but the fact is no one really understands what it is). so, despite my ability to easily extract theoretical information from real-life input, i have a hard time picturing real-life things and scenarios from theoretical descriptions (i'm basically unable to read fiction books, because to me it's just lifeless words on dead paper). but once i saw that video, i thought to myself "well that guy seems normal to me. but i can see how he most likely does have asperger's, both from his own narrative and from his mannerisms in the video itself. i get it now!"

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2016, 8:23 am

anagram wrote:
...but there's no drug teatment for autism/asperger's itself. it's not a disease or an illness, it's a (generally problematic) sort of "brain type" ...

I have found that Gabapentin, Seroquel and cannabis work great for my symptoms of autism.

Leticia_Brazil
Butterfly
Butterfly

31 Oct 2016, 8:24 am

Thank you so much lifelovebeauty, Ezras and Anagram.

I think there is an official test to classify someone as Aspeger. Here, would someone know it?

About imagination, I have a lot of imagination.

anagram
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2016, 8:33 am

if you mean an online test, then there's no clinically "official" one (for autism or any other condition related to psychiatry, since even the academically recognized tests need to be applied by a professional to be clinically valid). there's a bunch of informal tests out there (which in practice i think are actually better than the average psychiatrist or psychologist at telling whether you have autism/asperger's or not...), but rdos's "aspie quiz" is probably the most popular one. rdos has some wacky ideas about neanderthals and human courtship rituals and whatnot, but as far as online quizzes go, his test is pretty solid

http://www.rdos.net/eng/Aspie-quiz.php

anagram
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2016, 8:44 am

androbot01 wrote:
I have found that Gabapentin, Seroquel and cannabis work great for my symptoms of autism.

well, a large percentage of people will agree that cannabis works great for their symptoms of... human existence :mrgreen:. it's just not specific to autism, and doesn't really make you "less autistic". except maybe in the sense of more extreme / visible signs, which are signs of stress when they happen. you still function differently from the elusive "average person" (and there's no reason why you shouldn't anyway -- that's what i mean when i say that it's not a disease or illness in itself, but a problematic type of brain instead. it's a huge underlying risk factor for a lot of problems, but it's not the problem itself)

Leticia_Brazil
Butterfly
Butterfly

31 Oct 2016, 8:45 am

I know this online test. My result was both neurotypical as neurodiverse.

But this test had some questions that, frankly ...

"You like French kissing?" - Why does it matter?

"You like to talk nonsense (BS)?" - Who like of talk nonsense?

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2016, 8:53 am

anagram wrote:
...well, a large percentage of people will agree that cannabis works great for their symptoms of... human existence :mrgreen:. it's just not specific to autism, and doesn't really make you "less autistic". except maybe in the sense of more extreme / visible signs, which are signs of stress when they happen.

JewishBusinessNews: Israeli Doctor To Use Medical Cannabis To Treat Autism In First-Of-Its-Kind Study, Report After some success in using Medical Cannabis to treat epileptics, the research will check effect of cannabis oils on autistic people with severe behavioral problems.

I have found that it helps me to have better ToM and helps to cope with sensory processing issues; both of these are symptoms of autism.

anagram
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2016, 9:00 am

Leticia_Brazil wrote:
"You like French kissing?" - Why does it matter?

human courtship rituals, i suppose.....

Quote:
"You like to talk nonsense (BS)?" - Who like of talk nonsense?

you'd be surprised :lol:

he uses a raw statistical approach, so he ends up including some odd or bizarre questions when they seem to be correlated in his statistical analyses. but maybe you approach the questions differently than native english speakers do. or maybe not. hard to tell. or maybe some of those questions aren't culturally relevant to you, or are worded in a culturally confusing way. too many variables... there's no escaping the vagueness when autism isn't something instantly obvious :?

to be honest, to this day i don't consider it a certainty that "i have asperger's" (even though i score pretty high on the aspie quiz, and even though i've been "diagnosed" by a psychiatrist by now. i have my reasons to doubt his judgement in general)

if you think the linguistic/cultural factor could be making it harder for you to figure it out and you have any doubts in particular, you can message me if you want ('cause, well... i happen to be from your country :mrgreen:)

anagram
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2016, 9:15 am

androbot01 wrote:
I have found that it helps me to have better ToM and helps to cope with sensory processing issues; both of these are symptoms of autism.

symptoms of. either way, i'm not saying what's good or not or what works or doesn't work against what (which is a whole other subject i just don't want to go into). i'm saying that autism is a vague and generic thing which is understood to be a not-directly-visible but still physically-based property of a person. that underlying property is mostly stable throughout your life

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2016, 10:56 am

Leticia_Brazil wrote:
Hi there!

I´m new, here.

The syndrome aspeger has been highly publicized in recent times. If necessary, the psychiatric has already medications indicated for this syndrome.

Recently, I was interested by Asperger Syndrome, because my psychologist commented suspect that I had it.

But I did a research on the subject, superficially. I watched and read some reports of people who consider themselves aspeger.

For me, what defines someone as asperger is very vague. Very vague, really.

I had the impression that most people may have a degree of autism. But what is the problem? Why classify this as more a disease?

I have trouble making friends, but many other people have this difficulty too. In fact, I think it's very difficult to make good friends - I believe this is true for everyone.

Superficias friends, that's easy. The opposite isn't it.

Living together isn't easy.

However, I watched a French documentary this syndrome ("Le Cervau d'Hugo" - "Hugo's Brain"). In this video, people who declared Asperger, they are similar: similar problems and similar difficulties. They appeared to mental problems, but they were smart. But I don't consider myself like these people of video - that's what I think.

Well, I have many doubts about Aspeger.

What do you think about veracity of this syndrome?

Thank you.

AS only becomes a condition if it holds you back in life and causes you roadblocks and you have a hard time functioning every single day because of those troubles.

Yeah most people have a hard time making friends and fitting in but it doesn't hold them back like it doesn't cause them a roadblock for getting a job or having support whenever they need it for like when they get sick or need someone to watch their kids when something happens. Also when you can make friends, you will always have recommendations and that is something you need for employment when you are looking for a job. But this part isn't exclusive to AS because this problem can be found in other disorders such as PTSD or anxiety or NPD or BPD or schizoid.

I must say if someone's AS doesn't cause them any struggles in their life or impair them in any way, I would think they either don't have AS or they have learned to adapt and overcome their symptoms so they were no longer an impairment.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.