Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Filibroski
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 Nov 2016, 12:35 pm

How can someone suss that you're an Aspie just by spending some time with you? What gives it away?

TheSilentOne
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2016, 12:37 pm

With me, I think that it is because I am very open about my special interests and can't stop talking about them.

NorthWind
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2016, 1:28 pm

I don't think anyone (except for therapists and my family) ever suspected that I have Aspergers albeit people do realize that there is something wrong with me pretty quickly but it's not stereotypical enough for them to draw the right conclusions.

I've only once met a high functioning autistic person (or at least I think he is autistic) that was pretty obvious - not only I but another student guessed he was autistic independent of each other.
The guy - a university professor - we thought was autistic tended to not understand that something is a question by tone of voice but only if it was explicitly worded as a question. If any student guessed anything and waited for him to confirm that the student's statement was true or tell them that they are mistaken the student could wait long because they would not get a reply. If a student told the professor that they don't understand something related to the course the student also didn't necessarily get an explanation unless they explicitly asked for one. Occasionally that professor also simply walked away in the middle of a conversation.

Generally, I think a lot of people wouldn't realize that someone has Aspergers because they mightn't know enough about it to tell or it might be something they never gave any thought to and thus wouldn't take into consideration. Yet a lot of people with Aspergers are perceived as awkward pretty quickly.
If one exhibits some stereotypical traits some people might come to the right conclusion. If the autistic person just comes across as shy, withdrawn or uninterested in social contact (no matter if they actually are or not) the vast majority of people wouldn't suspect autism.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2016, 1:47 pm

I don't think anyone would know unless you exhibit stereotype traits of it which I call textbook. I don't see any aspies displaying them I know or display every single one of them. I did know of one aspie who barely talked and didn't give out responses so you had to ask him specific questions to get more out of it but that was the only aspie I knew that was that bad with his condition while everyone else with it chit chatted like NTs. If I didn't know him, I would have thought he was shy or a private person but didn't have the balls to tell me he doesn't want to talk or that he is very private but was too polite to tell me.

I would say one going on and on about something and never letting you have the chance to speak would be a number one sign to wonder if they are on the spectrum.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.