Page 1 of 12 [ 190 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2016, 10:59 am

I think that kid needs to be locked up, yesterday.

johnnyh
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Nov 2016, 2:12 pm

Best result according to my viewpoint is to move it under insanity defence. A bipolar or brain damaged defendant would not have their condition named specifically for the defender but just be put under the insanity defence. This is with my medical view of autism and disability. I would like to know the proposed solution of you all who have a social view.

-Johnnyh

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2016, 4:10 pm

I put this under Autism Defense thread because it fell under the general category of using autism as an excuse/explanation for crime. It was not literally using autism as a insanity defense. The sentence has been handed out - treatment.

My emotions say lock him up and throw away they key, but this person did not have sex with a child, he looked at pictures and movies.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2016, 2:37 am

Flash Crash Trader Sarao Pleads Guilty to Fraud, Spoofing

Quote:
Navinder Singh Sarao, the British day trader accused of contributing to the 2010 Flash Crash, was allowed to return to his parents’ home near London’s Heathrow Airport after becoming the second person convicted of manipulating commodities markets by placing orders he never intended to fulfill.
Sarao, 37, extradited from the U.K. two days ago, pleaded guilty to spoofing and wire fraud Wednesday in Chicago federal court and agreed to forfeit $12.9 million in ill-earned gains from his trades. He was accused of making $40 million spoofing CME Group Inc.’s stock futures market over five years, including on May 6, 2010, when a trading frenzy briefly wiped almost $1 trillion from the value of American equities.

Quote:
When the judge asked whether he had been treated for a mental illness, his lawyer, Roger Burlingame, said Sarao has “severe Aspergers” but hasn’t been treated for it. While Sarao has “very limited functionality” and lacks social skills, he has extraordinary abilities, including pattern recognition, Burlingame said.

Suspect pleads not guilty to shooting to death two teens behind grocery store

Quote:
Hazelwood’s defense attorney said his client has a history of mental illness and has been diagnosed with schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, sensory disorder and has Asperger’s Syndrome.

“This is about mental illness, and he’s ill,” said attorney Lawrence Zimmerman.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2016, 2:28 am

Sex offender attacked rail & bus passengers through gap in the seats

Quote:
Strickson admitted what he had done but blamed his Asperger’s Syndrome.

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2016, 2:29 pm

All to common people with ASPD diagnossed with autism, then their crime getting blamed on autism. :-o *sighs*

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2016, 1:17 am

'Autistic' teenager suspected of hacking Australian air traffic control, aborting landing

johnnyh
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Nov 2016, 4:28 am

If it was a teenager with bipolar, schizophrenia, or alcohol induced brain change, they wouldn't harp so much about it.

However we have to consider it is somehow the fault of the autistic community directly or indirectly. People would overlook it and respond with indifference if it were commonly accepted to be a brain disorder like the other conditions. People here try to say it is a difference and not a brain disorder.

-Johnnyh

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2016, 5:00 am

Sorry if this is overly tangential for some of you but from a digital forensics perspective there seriously should have been more charges pressed, such as menacing at the very least. I'm not going to read into this because knowing this branch of I.T. is gritty enough but I'll say this; this is why the most senior sysadmin I personally know of quit forensics. Please refer to this next time you hazard to call tech pros unsympathetic.

Right there with you BeaArthur.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2016, 5:02 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:

Questionable yes but show that kid some respect.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2016, 10:28 am

johnnyh wrote:
If it was a teenager with bipolar, schizophrenia, or alcohol induced brain change, they wouldn't harp so much about it.

However we have to consider it is somehow the fault of the autistic community directly or indirectly. People would overlook it and respond with indifference if it were commonly accepted to be a brain disorder like the other conditions. People here try to say it is a difference and not a brain disorder.

Lawyers have been using mental conditions or alleged mental conditions to gain sympathy for their clients forever. There was Eliot Roger, but the "Autism defense" was pretty rare. The use of Autism as a defense/excuse started to pick up after the incident where the Aspie brought a gun and tried to shoot Trump at a rally.

This teen put a lot of lives in danger.

When people advocate for themselves or a group a backlash of some sort usually follows. Saying it is the fault of those advocating often is unjustified victim blaming

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2016, 1:12 pm

Without any comorbidities, autism is akin to left-handedness or having an extra-long tongue.

I do not consider it a disease or defect, to be treated, much less a defense, to harm innocents.

If the suspect isn't prosecuted, impartially, the prejudices applied to him, can be applied to you -- usually bronies and stamp collectors. Amirite?

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2016, 1:27 am

Rapist Mateo Nixon has sentence reduced after autism argument - SundayStar Times (New Zealand)

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2016, 1:44 am

Experts divided in murder trial

Quote:
Defending QC Patrick Harrington called Dr Simon Baron-Cohen to the stand, a professor of developmental psychopathology at the University of Cambridge, who said he is in “no doubt” that Morgan has Asperger’s syndrome.

wilburforce
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2016, 2:33 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Experts divided in murder trial

Quote:
Defending QC Patrick Harrington called Dr Simon Baron-Cohen to the stand, a professor of developmental psychopathology at the University of Cambridge, who said he is in “no doubt” that Morgan has Asperger’s syndrome.

SBC is a hack, and I eagerly await the day when he is completely professionally discredited and laughed out of his field.

(Note to Moderators: my warning number is wrong on my profile but apparently can't be fixed so I will note here that it is actually 2, not 3--the warning issued to me on Aug 20 2016 was a mistake but I've been told it can't be removed.)

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2016, 3:49 am

Robert Durst Said Giving Details About Missing Wife Would Be 'Pleading Guilty'

Quote:
Durst seemed unsure of whether he has Asperger's syndrome, which is on the spectrum of autism disorders, as his lawyers have claimed.

"I never thought that amounted to anything," he told Lewin. But then he added, "The thing with Asperger's syndrome is intelligent people don't get along or don't enjoy communicating with other people. And that is certainly me."