Page 2 of 12 [ 190 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2016, 3:49 am

Robert Durst Said Giving Details About Missing Wife Would Be 'Pleading Guilty'

Quote:
Durst seemed unsure of whether he has Asperger's syndrome, which is on the spectrum of autism disorders, as his lawyers have claimed.

"I never thought that amounted to anything," he told Lewin. But then he added, "The thing with Asperger's syndrome is intelligent people don't get along or don't enjoy communicating with other people. And that is certainly me."

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2017, 5:00 am

Probation for Derry man who sexually assaulted a vulnerable woman in her 60's

Quote:
Alan Rodgers, whose address was given as Glen Court, was also described as a vulnerable individual who has only recently been diagnosed with Asperger’s Syndrome.
The victim in the case was a woman in her early 60's.
Derry Crown Court heard that the defendant has struggled throughout his life without appropriate support and has been 'let down by the system', according to a psychiatrist.
Judge Philip Babington said: "One could perhaps say if he hadn't been let down by the system this (the sexual assault) might not have happened at all.
“That is a sad reflection of the system."

This is a sad reflection of misplaced sympathy which should be given to the sexual assault victim. I am the same age as the criminal so I do understand and have commented on numourous about the lifelong and continuing lack of support given to our age cohort. I am positive the criminal was let down by a number of individuals in the system but say he was let down by the system is a stretch. For most our lives the system was working with misinformation and thus was not at fault. This is equvilent to blaming the system for the massive amount of deaths from bubonic plague hundreds of years ago because they had not found a cure yet.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

green0star
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2017, 11:17 am

And here I thought younger then 18 was a juvinile regardless ... But I guess if the child did kill the parent then it would only make sense to be tried as an adult.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2017, 6:03 am

wilburforce wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
Experts divided in murder trial

Quote:
Defending QC Patrick Harrington called Dr Simon Baron-Cohen to the stand, a professor of developmental psychopathology at the University of Cambridge, who said he is in “no doubt” that Morgan has Asperger’s syndrome.

SBC is a hack, and I eagerly await the day when he is completely professionally discredited and laughed out of his field.

Let's not go too far that direction, this is a double-blind behind antivax rabble. I think by this point the only level at which we should be self-conscious of ASD is individually. When some a***hole is wrong about you, comfortably let them be wrong before lining their pockets with Google SEO revenues.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2017, 2:22 am

Libor trader Tom Hayes launches appeal against conviction based on Asperger's syndrome

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2017, 2:43 am

Autistic woman Michelle Peake, who left mother to die on floor, acquitted of manslaughter

Quote:
The court heard Michelle Peake was autistic and did not realise the seriousness of her mother's condition.

She was previously found to be mentally incompetent and therefore not criminally responsible.

The court heard that Mrs Peake had refused her daughter's offers of help, but at one point asked for a cup of tea, which her daughter did not provide.

That was because she was worried that her mother would choke drinking it while lying down.

"I can find no indication at all that the accused's conduct towards her mother was motivated by the least degree of malice," Justice Vanstone said in her written judgment.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2017, 3:45 am

Tom Hayes suing regulator over lifetime ban

Quote:
Tom Hayes, a former bank trader convicted in the U.K. of interest-rate rigging, is suing the country's regulator over a lifetime ban from the financial industry

The body, which can refer cases back to the Court of Appeal, is being asked to study whether Mr. Hayes received a fair trial in light of his diagnosis of Asperger's syndrome during court proceedings.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2017, 3:52 am

Don't use dyslexia as an excuse, judge tells 'bully' businessman in divorce case as he says 'even Albert Einstein had dyslexia'

Quote:
A businessman embroiled in a bitter divorce case with his estranged wife has been criticised by a judge for using his dyslexia as an excuse, telling him "even Einstein had dyslexia".

Mr Justice Moor said the man had attempted to "bully the court" at times and had fallen back on his Asperger's and dyslexia when the going got tough.

Lintar
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2017, 10:06 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Sex offender attacked rail & bus passengers through gap in the seats

Quote:
Strickson admitted what he had done but blamed his Asperger’s Syndrome.

Quote:
The girl told police. Strickson admitted what he had done but blamed his Asperger’s Syndrome. Mr Campbell said his client found it hard to talk to women but admitted getting sexual gratification from what he was doing.

It's pretty obvious that this slimy character has far more to blame for his behaviour than just his "Asperger's Syndrome". If A.S. were his only issue, he would know that his inability to talk to women cannot justify what he did. Looking at his photo, I cannot but help think that he is seriously mentally challenged as well.

Lintar
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2017, 10:13 pm

johnnyh wrote:
If it was a teenager with bipolar, schizophrenia, or alcohol induced brain change, they wouldn't harp so much about it.

However we have to consider it is somehow the fault of the autistic community directly or indirectly. People would overlook it and respond with indifference if it were commonly accepted to be a brain disorder like the other conditions. People here try to say it is a difference and not a brain disorder.

Well, actually, there are many within the "autistic community" who agree with your assessment that having such a condition is more than just a difference, but a disorder as well - like me. Of course, those who disagree with the mainstream view that everyone is on some kind of 'spectrum' and that 'neurodiversity' is a wonderful thing, are not often heard. Perhaps they should speak out more often, and do so LOUDLY, because the ones who are pushing the silly identity-politics mantra of 'diversity' need to challenged, and have their odious views repudiated.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2017, 5:53 pm

Internet predator played Minecraft to contact nine-year-old schoolgirl

Quote:
An internet sex offender contacted a nine-year-old girl and made rude suggestions to her as she was playing Minecraft on her Xbox, a court has been told. Predatory Conner Larbalestier, 21, had only recently been released from jail after grooming teenagers online for sex when he joined the popular building and adventure game and messaged the girl.

Larbalestier, of Bladon Close, Newton Abbot, was jailed for 18 months in February 2016 for inciting five young girls to take part in sexual activity. He met and had sex with two 14 year olds and groomed three others of 12, 13, and 14.

He was released in September 2016 and recalled to prison after his latest offence.

Jeffery Segan, in mitigation, said the defendant has Asperger's and 'all sorts of difficulties' to do with forming normal relationships.

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2017, 1:31 pm

But, what did he 'need to be free' from.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2017, 1:49 am

Two charged after body parts of missing teen found in Michigan

Quote:
Michigan State Police said the young man was diagnosed with Asperger's syndrome, and although he was high-functioning, it was believed he could have been "easily coerced."

Usually it is the defense attorney that bring aspergers up as a mitigating factor not the police.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2017, 2:05 am

IS supporter Samata Ullah branded a “new and dangerous breed of terrorist"

Quote:
A 34 year old man from Cardiff, Samata Ullah, who posted encryption training videos on a radical Islamic blog was a dangerous “cyber terrorist,” a court heard yesterday.

A former insurance worker who contributed encryption training videos to a pro-Islamic State web site, was branded “new and dangerous breed of terrorist,” at a hearing in the Old Bailey court.

Samata Ullah, a 34-year-old resident of Cardiff, pleaded guilty to five counts under the Terrorism Act, including researching a technology, known as ZeroNet, “with the intention of assisting another or others to commit acts of terrorism”.

Since his arrest Ullah, has shown remorse and wants nothing more to do with ISIS or Jihadi thinking, according to a report by Professor Baron Cohen, an expert on Aspergers.

According to Police Ullah was shocked when he realised what he had done.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2017, 10:45 am

Quote:
When Lewin said that's what he wanted, Durst said, "If I tell you those things, I'm pleading guilty."

That seems to be implying he did it so he basically admitted it.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2017, 10:50 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Autistic woman Michelle Peake, who left mother to die on floor, acquitted of manslaughter

Quote:
The court heard Michelle Peake was autistic and did not realise the seriousness of her mother's condition.

She was previously found to be mentally incompetent and therefore not criminally responsible.

The court heard that Mrs Peake had refused her daughter's offers of help, but at one point asked for a cup of tea, which her daughter did not provide.

That was because she was worried that her mother would choke drinking it while lying down.

"I can find no indication at all that the accused's conduct towards her mother was motivated by the least degree of malice," Justice Vanstone said in her written judgment.

So she did try to assist her mother but her mother said she was fine and didn't need help so the daughter did what she was told. At least she didn't just leave her there and do nothing. I also lack of thinking to do things so I can see why the daughter wouldn't even think about holding her mother up to have her take a drink.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.