Overbearing Professor and Truancy Issues Involving Meds

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Mindtraveller
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

02 Nov 2016, 6:16 pm

I've been attending classes at a local community college and seem to have landed with the wrong teacher for Theories of American Government. On the first day, Dr. S seemed a nice enough guy, but even from the first day I could tell he was very strict. The class went along fine until early October, when it is then that he introduced the "Moot Court Project". Not only is this a group project with eight people per group, (that is required to meet outside of class), it is also worth 20% of your grade for the entire course. If you are just a bit late (even 30 seconds) or don't follow the instructions exactly as they are written, you will be removed from the group and be made to literally do the work of ten students (100 page research paper). This is the first class I've taken at this school that actually perpetuated my anxiety to almost inhuman levels. As I am a hard worker, I have no problem with the massive workload this course requires. However, trying to make class on time so as to not be removed has been proving difficult. I'll go to bed with Neurontin, Zyprexa, and Atarax dragging me down. At the same time, concerns bang around in my head like beans. I've been my own lab rat recently, as I experimented with the time I take my required medication. My findings seem to prove that the earlier I take the medication in the evening, the easier it is to get up in the morning. However, this is not true every time. There are times when I will oversleep, then drive like a bat out of hell to campus. I've made it on time every day, but it has proved stressful and very overwhelming, as I cannot truly control the amount of sleep my body needs. I have been known to set up to 10 alarms on my phone, only to turn them off as I sleep. This has made me late for my other classes several times.
So here's my question. Should I speak with my psychiatrist about modifying my medication regemin in order to ensure truant awakening? A different nighttime routine? Is this class too much for me?

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2016, 6:58 pm

Have you tried talking to this professor about your worries outside of class? If he isn't receptive, I'd drop the class. If he is then he might be able to clarify what he wants, and possibly accommodate you in some way.

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2016, 7:00 pm

I would definitely speak to the psychiatrist about changing the medicine regimen. When I was on Seroquel 600 mg I would have a difficult time staying awake so I talked to my doctor about it and started taking half a the dose in the morning and half in the evening, which helped.

Mindtraveller
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

02 Nov 2016, 7:35 pm

I have tried speaking to him about the anxiety his class is causing, and as far as I can tell, he isn't in favor of accommodations. As far as extending due dates and whatnot, of course not. I was overwhelmed because he simply thrust me into the group situation and if I shut down or something I might lose points. The only things that our school's disability department covers are mostly related to exams.
Also, my psychiatrist recently prescribed me Vyvanse 30 mg in order to deal with the lethargy but it seems to not have as strong as an effect now. Should I get that med increased, or talk to him about having others decreased?

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

04 Nov 2016, 6:28 pm

I would ask the psych about stopping the Atarax before bed. My girlfriend took it before bed & her psych said it would not be helping her anxiety when she'd wake up the next day. It can help if you have problems sleeping or falling asleep because of anxiety or allergies & other issues but you didn't mention having those problems.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition