Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2016, 11:11 pm

What makes a mass murderer: Doctors reveal how 'narcissistic decompensation' turned Anders Breivik into a mass shooter by Clare Allely, Lecturer in Psychology, University of Salford

Quote:
Clare Allely from the University of Salford lead researcher in a team that recently looked for the presence of autism spectrum disorders in a sample of 75 mass shooters selected by Mother Jones, a reader-supported and non-profit news organisation that made the selection to avoid possible in-built bias.
In this study, they found six cases – or 8% of the total number of mass shooters in the sample – who either had a diagnosis of autism, or whose family and friends suspected they had an autism spectrum disorder

Quote:
In Breivik's case, it has been strongly suggested that in addition to his proven narcissistic disorder, he also had Asperger's syndrome – though the latter was not formally diagnosed.

Quote:
Given the higher prevalence of narcissistic traits and autism spectrum disorder (including Asperger's) found in mass shooters, the overlap between these two requires further analysis across a wider pool of subjects.

This is so bad I do not even know where to start, Celebrity diagnosing, spurious linking to fit a wanted conclusion, basing a study on Mother Jones list of Autistics that includes people speculated about, printing a debunked statement that there is a higher prevelence of ASD amoung mass shooters.

Why is the University of Sulford which has been around since 1896 is employing this sloppy researcher?. I hope the UK autism advocacy organizations does something about this dangourous speculation.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

yelekam
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2016, 4:48 pm

What slander are they going make up next? What next, that we secretly run the world financial system and sabotaged the national war effort?

johnnyh
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Nov 2016, 9:32 pm

There are comoborties that can contribute to violence in a subset of autistic individuals (also I have little idea why they keep using the term aspergers since there is no unique pathology separating it from autism) and we can entertain the idea the symptoms can act as a catalyst for another disorder or unique personality. The same goes for others, I recommend we play by similar rules and maybe there won't be a correlation any more.

-Johnnyh

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2016, 9:17 am

With billions of people in this world there are going to be cases such as Adam Lanza with his detailed spreadsheet of school shootings going back to the 1800's where ASD is a factor in past,current, and future spree killings. That does not make the Daily Mail article any less of a hit piece

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

B19
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2016, 11:08 am

Well it is the Daily Mail - a cheap shot tabloid that sensationalises...

DancingCorpse
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2016, 1:18 am

Many serial killers of the past targeted attractive young men they picked up specifically due to the web of extreme associations and perverse motivations that drove them to those macabre points, for a long time they had been struggling with their sexualities and repressing the fact that they were gay and had been taught that being gay was morally wrong in their upbringings and environments they inhabited (this was a very different era when these nutcases operated), Dahmer, Nilsen and Gacy are three of the most infamous examples, does this mean that gay people are dangerous and 'potential serial killers'? That's the same as tarring autistics with such a narrow minded brush, what % of (insert label) turn out to be murderers??

FJasmine
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Feb 2017, 3:58 pm

Utter garbage! This sums up the vital differences briefly and better than I have ever seen: https://youtu.be/IOc3aL0wBi8

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2017, 4:23 pm

Yeh, I should really stop buying my nan that newspaper.

JVM23
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Feb 2017, 9:42 am

Typical Daily Fail. I shudder to think what the Sun's attitude towards ASDs is.

Bustduster
Toucan
Toucan

11 Feb 2017, 10:26 am

JVM23 wrote:
Typical Daily Fail. I shudder to think what the Sun's attitude towards ASDs is.

If anything, I'd say the Daily Mail was more insidious and reactionary than the Sun. In the Sun's case I'm not really sure that anyone who buys it takes it all that seriously, whereas the Heil appeals to a deeply reactionary mindset mostly inhabited by people who can't accept the fact that globalisation and technology has changed society in ways that they're not equipped to cope with. They're the demographic who will read an article like this and believe it because because they never come into contact with anyone who'll present them with alternate perspective. Scaremongering like this is the reason why I never tell anyone other than fellow aspies that I even have AS anymore.

CharityGoodyGrace
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2017, 11:39 pm

It could be a self-fulfilling prophecy (people thinking we're nuts so we act nuts) with about 0.0000001% of the Aspie population, as in ANY POPULATION.