What might Trump do on Trade and Middle-Class Jobs?

Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2016, 1:14 pm

ZenDen wrote:
An example of a low paying job done by immigrants is working in a chicken processing plant. Hard, dangerous work that the local US citizens typically avoid.

What you say is correct...as far as you go, but you ended your sentence too early. Here, I'll show you what I mean:

"...that the local US citizens typically avoid AND the construction trades, where a young man could once work at a decent paying job during the summer to work toward paying tuition for school. Or perhaps the job now being done by an illegal is what the worker at K-Mart used to do before he was recently unemployed???" And including many "physical" decent paying jobs. ETC.

There are real costs to illegal immigration. You may not be paying them directly but they will effect you. Please don't minimize these things; they are important to many people. Where do you think these 10 to 20 million people have gone?
I like that we include the specific example of the chicken processing plant. If there was a union which could give some push-back on issues of health and safety, it wouldn't need to be a terrible job.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2016, 1:27 pm

BTDT wrote:
There are also costs to legal immigration with H1B visas--we are taking their best and brightest--which means they aren't going home to help their countries. There are also taking jobs from Americans. Worse, from an Aspie-centric point of view--they usually take jobs that smart people with social issues would typically take.
Some of us are smart, some of us aren't. And maybe a lot of us have patchy skills, smart in some areas and not so smart in others, and that's okay, too. :jester:

In a better society, there would be a variety of jobs. Maybe just by a medium-strong social norm the average workweek would be 32 hours a week. And with a less extreme ratio of job applications to available jobs, maybe companies have a much different attitude of working with employees, maybe even on sensory issues.

And whereas a fair of us on the spectrum are either "low"-functioning or "high"-function, a bunch of us are middle-functioning, too! :D

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2016, 2:07 pm

Yes, I think Trump is smart enough to know that the best way to improve the economy is to improve the working conditions of all Americans, so we can be more productive.

Now that he is POTUS-elect--I'm sure his legacy is now more important than how much money he will amass in his lifetime. Nobody remembers how much money you made. People do remember if you were a good or bad president.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2016, 4:50 pm

I think Trump doesn't listen to people, doesn't learn from his mistakes, even repeated mistakes of the same nature. Which is okay some of the time, but he does it a lot of the time. Frankly, I think the guy's such an egomaniac that he's almost nuts. Only an outside chance of him having a successful presidency.

What I'd suggest to my fellow citizens, act like we don't have a president and do much of the work of citizenship ourselves. For example, right here. We talk up the issue of trade and jobs. We help to educate ourselves and educate others.

Two things we have going in our favor, most of our fellow citizens really believe in transparency, at least most of the time. And there's so little activism and active citizenship that almost anything we do can be a considerable net positive.

I encourage people to work the positive side of the Trump agenda most of the time. Of course, we'll have to play defense some of the time.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2016, 5:03 pm

If the legal immigrants with H1B visas leave, this will create openings for well educated
Aspies--you may find good jobs despite your social interaction issues--provided you have
an advanced degree or obvious talents. Who knows, if things get bad enough you may get
a full time support person who can do the "activities of daily life" for you while you do the
special stuff you can do. Tom Brady, the football guy, has such an assistant.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2016, 5:19 pm

There's not much he could do to bring jobs back.

First of all, the jobs that left are generally those that take a great deal of labor. If we brought back that manufacturing, you can bet that it would mostly be done with far higher technology than before. There would be some new jobs, but not many for those who worked in it before because they wouldn't be as ready to deal with the robotics and other technological advancements. Instead of employees doing the manufacturing, it would be employees programming and maintaining robots -- the robots would be doing the manufacturing.

Second, protectionism doesn't work very well. There was apparently a tariff put on tires several years ago that ended up costing the American people nearly a million dollars for every job the tariff saved. It would have been far less expensive to just pay the employees to tear the factory down.

To increase jobs, we have to look at new jobs rather than trying to bring back the old jobs.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2016, 5:29 pm

eric76 wrote:
Instead of employees doing the manufacturing, it would be employees programming and maintaining robots -- the robots would be doing the manufacturing.

That sounds like a great job for a gifted Aspie--maintaining robots in a factory.

I think the dream life for a few Aspies would be like that guy in Oblivion--you spend the day all by yourself fixing robots, and you come home to a hot girl every night. As far as you know there isn't another human on the planet.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2016, 1:51 pm

So, maybe around 5 Clinton electors saying they'll vote for a moderate Republican. To their credit, putting their money where their mouth is, hoping to possibly pry off enough Trump electors.

Thin outside chance at best.

We citizens are going to have to raise our game. In fact, do what we do here. Find interesting news articles and talk about them. Help to educate ourselves and others. Trade and middle-class jobs are highly important issues, but they're rather boring issues. I guess just come at it from different diagonal directions and hope something chances our interest, and then roll with it?

=======

trying to make above new post at library. Unable to because of Access forbidden! Error 403. somewhat discouraging

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2016, 1:59 pm

eric76 wrote:
. . . To increase jobs, we have to look at new jobs rather than trying to bring back the old jobs.
I agree 100%. It's about curving the path for the future.

For example, the recent provision to extend time-and-a-half for overtime including to persons on salary making less than $47,476 a year, well, it was due to start Dec. 1 but currently suspended by a federal judge. I think it's an excellent idea because it spreads out available jobs.