Why Is Being a Materialistic Woman So Bad?

Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2017, 12:43 pm

You have clothes and your appearance.

I have books and tools and food in jars, and whether I am useful or not.

Others' appearances matter to you.

Others' effort at attaining and hanging onto some level of mental health matters to me.

AFAIK, neither of us are walking around taking wanton advantage of people because we can or hurting people for fun.

You're not bad, you're you.

I'm not bad, I'm me.

We probably aren't going to be buddies or anything (diametrically opposed and possibly mutually exclusive worldview, not a whole lot of common interest), but you and I can both live on this planet at the same time and both be good people.

That's the wonderful thing about opinions and points of view and subjective things. You can have one, and I can have an opposite one, and both of them can be correct and valid, because that's pretty much the meaning of "subjective."

Auroras
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Jan 2017, 1:12 pm

I see fashion and makeup as just another hobby. I enjoy singing, writing, reading, traveling, and so on, but I also like buying clothes, putting together outfits, accessorizing, and learning new makeup techniques. I'm buying all this stuff with my own money and it doesn't get in the way of my education or other life goals so... why not? We all have our own hobbies. :3

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2017, 11:55 pm

xxZeromancerlovexx wrote:
I have finally accepted that I am materialistic and physical appearance obsessed. Society views it as a bad thing. The majority of who I am is how I dress and my fashion collection which is so big that I can't fit it all in my room so I'm going to save up clothing storage furniture from IKEA.

I just don't get it! Why is being materialistic frowned upon? Another woman accused me of being attached to my clothes and it felt like a personal attack.

Can anyone relate to this?

I don't think there's anything wrong with having an interest in fashion or your appearance, provided that isn't the only thing you are interested in, and you have deeper interpersonal priorities. In other words, materialistic is fine, shallow is not.

I know a few women who put a lot in to fashion and their appearance, but they are also friendly, caring people who are nice to be with.

green0star
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2018, 4:46 pm

I don't know to say that being a materialistic woman is as bad anything else but I'm sure your dating life is in shambles because of it. As many guys nowadays don't have the means to keep up with a woman who is materialistic.

ammeavid
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Jul 2018, 1:24 pm

I don't see it so much as materialism, but more so a hobby or simply enjoying a particular method of expressing yourself! Fashion is really just another way to express your creativity! I also love fashion and probably own way too many clothes, lol.

wagwan_mello
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

02 Jul 2018, 1:43 pm

Hi.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2018, 4:09 pm

^^^^^Hello Wagwan :flower: welcome to WP :)

HistoryGal
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2018, 7:37 pm

Nothing wrong at all! Be yourself

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2018, 4:53 am

It depends on the use of the word.

It's often used for people who value things and being cool over caring about other life forms and other creatures.

There is nothing wrong with wanting to look nice and feel good about yourself, it's not the same as being soulless and caring not for creatures.

I am not like that, all my clothes are $5 leggings and $10 shoes from Kmart. I do spend a lot of my money on food and indoor plants. You are allowed to be you, I am allowed to be me.

Materialistic people in general are seen to be bad due to their lack of depth. To be preferably honest they're actually more common than deep people. I don't gravitate towards them. But they can be them, and I'll be me. You're allowed to be you, and owe no-one any apology.