Interview: Asperger's Are Us Filmmakers Mark Duplass and Alex Lehmann

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

alex
Developer
Developer

14 Nov 2016, 5:11 pm

Alex Lehmann's documentary Asperger's Are Us follows an all-autistic comedy troupe of the same name. The film, produced by Mark Duplass, will be out on iTunes November 15th and is currently playing in select theaters. It's an eye-opening look into a group of four hilarious comedians, Noah Britton, Jack Hanke, Ethan Finlan, and New Michael Ingemi who happen to be autistic.

Asperger's Are Us dispels the commonly held misconceptions that autistics lack a sense of humor and that we're more focused on math and science. Besides being insightful and revelatory, the film is also incredibly entertaining. The guys in this comedy troupe are charming and constantly cracking jokes. Even by ...

alex
Developer
Developer

14 Nov 2016, 6:22 pm

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2016, 2:33 am

I enjoyed the interview.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2016, 9:44 am

great interview,really enjoyed it

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2016, 9:58 am

I watched the film on itunes last night. Even though there sense of humor is different then mine I enjoyed the film.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Dr.Pepper
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

19 Nov 2016, 3:17 pm

I watched the film and only thought it was so-so.

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2016, 11:05 am

Excellent interview.

After the first few minutes, I wondered if Lehmann is on the spectrum. It seemed like Duplass is very typical in his speech patterns and body language but Lehmann not so much, so it was interesting to have that come up later in the interview, though the issue seemed to be settled in the negative. I am still wondering about this.

I was listening to this at a fairly low volume and when they began talking about the performance skills that some can develop as part of trying to blend in or at least get bullied less, my wife, who just overheard part of it in passing, asked me to turn up the volume--audience engagement!

alex
Developer
Developer

05 Dec 2016, 6:57 pm

The film will be coming out on Netflix this month.

AspieAlphys28
Raven
Raven

22 Feb 2017, 1:02 am

just watched aspergers are us today on netflix!! i loved it the troupe was super funny and their jokes and personalitys left an impact on me, i would love to see them live someday!! !

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2017, 6:09 pm

Thanks so much for creating this, all of you.

onedollarhosting
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

21 Mar 2018, 7:04 am

This article(Interview: Asperger’s Are Us Filmmakers Mark Duplass And Alex Lehmann)is very useful for me

peterwillson280
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

18 May 2018, 7:42 am

I have watched the movie and its good to watched it.....

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2018, 6:53 am

One time, a customer asked why I let my bicycle get rusty. I mostly regarded it as theft deterrent, but I said it was to make it lighter. "Iron oxide is lighter than iron?" he asked.
"I've been telling that joke for ten years, and you are the first one to get it!"
Actually, iron oxide flakes off, so it can be a lightening process, but it works as a joke for us.

GuyInABlackSuit
Raven
Raven

18 Jun 2018, 1:03 pm

That sounds epic.
It further wants me to pursue my lifelong dream of being in the entertainment industry.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2019, 10:45 pm

http://realscreen.com/2019/02/08/hbo-sets-premiere-dates-for-the-inventor-case-against-adnan-syed/

Quote:
On Tour With Aspergers’s Are Us
Directed by Alex Lehmann
Premiere date: April

Executive produced by Mark and Jay Duplass, this six-part series follows the first all-autistic comedy troupe as it navigates its first cross-country tour. Crammed into a relic of an RV that’s on the verge of explosion, the team of four hits the road for six weeks, testing their understanding of friendship, comedy and carburetors.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2019, 7:40 pm

HBO to Debut ON TOUR WITH ASPERGER'S ARE US

Quote:
HBO will debut "On Tour With Asperger's Are Us" directed by Alex Lehmann. This six-part documentary series airs on Tuesday, April 30 through Thursday, May 2.

They stay away from relatable or observational comedy or references to autism, instead focusing on deadpan wordplay and dark absurdism, comedic styles that typically appeal more to a subset of people with Asperger's. They've performed with Emo Philips, Joe Pera, Jamie Loftus, Kenny "K-Strass" Strasser, and Vermin Supreme, among many other great comedians.