Discrimination - So Apparently We Make Awful Parents Too

Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

johnnyh
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Nov 2016, 8:39 pm

I am more concerned with the off chance that the autistic condition will be passed down.

-Johnnyh

DavidTheWitch
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Dec 2016, 1:00 pm

Looks like another Narcissist is trying to cash in on the Anti-Autism Gravy Train... Autism is the Opposite of Psychopathy and as such in our Psychopath ruled world it is dangerous.

green0star
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2016, 10:13 am

Well children don't interest me but that is pretty messed up to say that autistics shouldn't be parents if they didn't want to.

johnnyh
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Dec 2016, 12:27 pm

DavidTheWitch wrote:
Looks like another Narcissist is trying to cash in on the Anti-Autism Gravy Train... Autism is the Opposite of Psychopathy and as such in our Psychopath ruled world it is dangerous.

It is not the opposite nor the same. It is a mental disorder while psychopathy is a personality disorder. It's like saying a fish is the opposite of a brick.

-Johnnyh

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2016, 5:25 pm

Ignore that s**t and just focus on enjoying/parenting your kid. Seriously. There is so much we don't know, even the best scientific articles are so much guesswork.

Same goes for the chances of your kid getting it. When I started having kids back in 2000, the "official stats" were that each child of one autistic parent had an 80% chance of developing autism. That stat is in the toilet now (or 3 of my 4 won the lottery). I have seen so many stats end up garbage that I think this is the only one you need:

Your kid has a 0% chance of being autistic. Until you find out that they're autistic. Then they have a 100% chance.

FragMichNichtWiesMirGeht
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

19 Jan 2017, 11:49 am

No, I'll make an awful parent. I know the rest of you won't.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2017, 12:11 pm

johnnyh wrote:
I am more concerned with the off chance that the autistic condition will be passed down.

That's the same thing I worry about. I think a lot of aspies make great parents, possible exceptional even, but it's the hereditary aspect that makes me not want to have kids. I have had a terrible time coping with aspergers so far and it's not something I want to pass on even if I do make a good parent.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2017, 10:28 am

Another thing prospective autistic parents should think about is, how well will I fare as a person? Will 3 a.m. feedings and sudden fevers and parents' nights and teenage oppositional behaviors make me get worse?

DancingCorpse
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2017, 2:20 am

I've been told by different people I had qualities that would make me a 'great dad' whatever that means, I doubt I'll have children since just having a stable life after a lot of turbulence and cave diving seems a fancy proposition but who knows, life is strange and I've had unexpected detours occur before, I like to think I've gained a lot of wisdom which would make me a useful father and husband some day, I do find it offensive when people deem those with issues as lesser humans, who are they to look down from their lofty and spotless pulpits upon others?

burnt_orange
Toucan
Toucan

30 Jan 2017, 12:58 pm

I am not a bad parent at all. I actually feel like it's something I excell at. And it has nothing to do with the other parent not being ASD. I think the authors parents had deeper issues than just being ASD, (was it ever confirmed they actually were ASD?) It's sounds like they truly didn't like or care for their kids. To describe us as unfeeling machines is ludicrous.

kazanscube
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2017, 2:28 pm

All parents be it neurotypical or autistic have their own struggles with raising children and it should not be seen as if the autistic side of that equation is way more difficult. No, I may not be a parent myself, but I would always act in an honorable manner and try to help my children reach their maximum potential without being overbearing or tyrannical.

johnnyh
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Feb 2017, 11:18 pm

Mental illness whether it is bipolar, schizophrenia, psychosis, alzheimers, etc. can affect the way a parent acts towards their child. We should play by the same rules and admit it, if you all did then there would be no articles like this!

-Johnnyh

Shahunshah
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2017, 5:20 am

johnnyh wrote:
Mental illness whether it is bipolar, schizophrenia, psychosis, alzheimers, etc. can affect the way a parent acts towards their child. We should play by the same rules and admit it, if you all did then there would be no articles like this!
Of course and autism is no exception.

johnnyh
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Feb 2017, 7:33 am

Shahunshah wrote:
johnnyh wrote:
Of course and autism is no exception.

And that is why people now compare it to psychopathy and narcissism.
Neurodiversity said "Autism is a part of who I am, it is not an illness I suffer from, I love having it! All the symptoms are part of my true self". Then the others then say "Oh, so it's not like the other neurological conditions? Then it must be a character flaw! You don't suffer from sensory overload (for instance), you choose to complain about sounds and smells on purpose!"

-Johnnyh

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2017, 7:57 am

I never wanted kids and I never had any, thank God. I would be a terrible parent. I'm short-tempered and often inflexible. Frankly, I'm barely capable of taking care of myself.