Literary passage you're obsessed with

Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2016, 6:08 pm

.............The kid rose and looked about at this desolate scene and then he saw alone and upright in a small niche in the rocks an old woman kneeling in a faded rebozo with her eyes cast down.

He made his way among the corpses and stood before her. She was very old and her face was gray and leathery and sand had collected in the folds of her clothing. She did not look up. The shawl that covered her head was much faded of its color yet it bore like a patent woven into the fabric the figures of stars and quartermoons and other insignia of a provenance unknown to him. He spoke to her in a low voice. He told her that he was an American and that he was a long way from the country of his birth and that he had no family and that he had traveled much and seen many things and had been at war and endured hardships. He told her that he would convey her to a safe place, some party of her countrypeople who would welcome her and that she should join them for he could not leave her in this place or she would surely die.

He knelt on one knee, resting the rifle before him like a staff. Abuelita, he said. No puedes escucharme?

He reached into the little cove and touched her arm. She moved slightly, her whole body, light and rigid. She weighed nothing. She was just a dried shell and she had been dead in that place for years.

-Blood Meridian

jellyfiShenanigan
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

16 Nov 2016, 2:32 pm

" The thing that he was about to do was to open a diary. This was not illegal (nothing was illegal, since there were no longer any laws), but if detected it was reasonably certain that it would be punished by death, or at least by twenty-five years in a forced labour camp. Winston fitted a nib into the penholder and sucked it to get the grease off. The pen was an archaic instrument, seldom used even for signatures, and he had procured one, furtively and with some difficulty, simply because of a feeling that the beautiful creamy paper deserved to be written on with a real nib instead of being scratched with an ink-pencil. Actually he was not used to writing by hand. Apart from very short notes, it was usual to dictate everything into the speakwrite which was of course impossible for his present purpose. He dipped the pen into the ink and then faltered for just a second. A tremor had gone through his bowels. To mark the paper was the decisive act. In small clumsy letters he wrote:

April 4th, 1984.

He sat back. A sense of complete helplessness had descended upon him. To begin with, he did not know with any certainty that this was 1984. It must be round about that date, since he was fairly sure that his age was thirty-nine, and he believed that he had been born in 1944 or 1945; but it was never possible nowadays to pin down any date within a year or two. "

- 1984 by Georges Orwell

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2016, 4:48 pm

Once there were brook trout in the streams in the mountains. You could see them standing in the amber current where the white edges of their fins wimpled softly in the flow. They smelled of moss in your hand. Polished and muscular and torsional. On their backs were vermiculate patterns that were maps of the world in its becoming. Maps and mazes. Of a thing which could not be put back. Not be made right again. In the deep glens where they lived all things were older than man and they hummed of mystery.

-The Road

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2016, 9:59 pm

A legion of horribles, hundreds in number, half naked or clad in costumes attic or biblical or wardrobed out of a fevered dream with the skins of animals and silk finery and pieces of uniform still tracked with the blood of prior owners, coats of slain dragoons, frogged and braided cavalry jackets, one in a stovepipe hat and one with an umbrella and one in white stockings and a bloodstained wedding veil and some in headgear or cranefeathers or rawhide helmets that bore the horns of bull or buffalo and one in a pigeontailed coat worn backwards and otherwise naked and one in the armor of a Spanish conquistador, the breastplate and pauldrons deeply dented with old blows of mace or sabre done in another country by men whose very bones were dust and many with their braids spliced up with the hair of other beasts until they trailed upon the ground and their horses' ears and tails worked with bits of brightly colored cloth and one whose horse's whole head was painted crimson red and all the horsemen's faces gaudy and grotesque with daubings like a company of mounted clowns, death hilarious, all howling in a barbarous tongue and riding down upon them like a horde from a hell more horrible yet than the brimstone land of Christian reckoning, screeching and yammering and clothed in smoke like those vaporous beings in regions beyond right knowing where the eye wanders and the lip jerks and drools.

-Blood Meridian

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2016, 7:25 pm

From "Dealing with dragons" by Patricia C Wrede:

Quote:
The king and queen hired the most superior tutors and governesses to teach Cimorene all the things a princess ought to know – dancing, embroidery, drawing and etiquette. There was a great deal of etiquette, from the proper way to curtsy before a visiting prince to how loudly it was permissible to scream when being carried off by a giant.
Cimorene found it all very dull, but she pressed her lips together and learned it anyway. When she couldn’t stand it any longer, she would go down to the castle armoury and bully the arms master into giving her a fencing lesson. As she got older, she found her regular lessons more and more boring. Consequently, the fencing lessons became more and more frequent.
When she was twelve, her father found out.
“Fencing is not proper behaviour for a princess,” he told her in the gentle-but-firm tone recommended by the court philosopher.
Cimorene tilted her head to one side. “Why not?”
“It’s... well, it’s simply not done.”
Cimorene considered. “Aren’t I a princess?”
“Yes, of course you are, my dear,” said her father with relief. He had been bracing himself for a storm of tears, which was the way his other daughters reacted to reprimands.
“Well, I fence,” Cimorene said with the air of one delivering an unshakable argument. “So it is too done by a princess.”

From "life as we knew it" by Susan Beth Pfeffer

Quote:
But today isn't a day to worry about the future. Whatever will happen will happen.Today is a day to celebrate. Tomorrow there will be more daylight than night. Tomorrow I'll wake up and find my mother and my brothers by my side. All still alive. All still loving me.
A while ago Jonny asked me why I was still keeping a journal, who I was writing it for. I've asked myself that a lot, especially in the really bad times.
Sometimes I've thought I'm keeping it for people 200 years from now, so they can see what are lives were like.
Sometimes I've thought I'm keeping it for that day when people no longer exist but butterflies can read.
But today, when I am 17 and warm and well fed, I'm keeping this journal for myself so I can always remember life as we knew it, life as we know it, for a time when I am no longer in the sunroom.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

DancingCorpse
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2016, 12:35 am

'There now lay revealed on the ultimate white horizon behind the grotesque city a dim, elfin line of pinnacled violet whose needle-pointed heights loomed dream-like against the beckoning rose-colour of the western sky. Up toward this shimmering rim sloped the ancient table-land, the depressed course of the bygone river traversing it as an irregular ribbon of shadow. For a second we gasped in admiration of the scene’s unearthly cosmic beauty, and then vague horror began to creep into our souls. For this far violet line could be nothing else than the terrible mountains of the forbidden land—highest of earth’s peaks and focus of earth’s evil; harbourers of nameless horrors and Archaean secrets; shunned and prayed to by those who feared to carve their meaning; untrodden by any living thing of earth, but visited by the sinister lightnings and sending strange beams across the plains in the polar night—beyond doubt the unknown archetype of that dreaded Kadath in the Cold Waste beyond abhorrent Leng, whereof unholy primal legends hint evasively. We were the first human beings ever to see them—and I hope to God we may be the last.

If the sculptured maps and pictures in that pre-human city had told truly, these cryptic violet mountains could not be much less than 300 miles away; yet none the less sharply did their dim elfin essence jut above that remote and snowy rim, like the serrated edge of a monstrous alien planet about to rise into unaccustomed heavens. Their height, then, must have been tremendous beyond all known comparison—carrying them up into tenuous atmospheric strata peopled by such gaseous wraiths as rash flyers have barely lived to whisper of after unexplainable falls. Looking at them, I thought nervously of certain sculptured hints of what the great bygone river had washed down into the city from their accursed slopes—and wondered how much sense and how much folly had lain in the fears of those Old Ones who carved them so reticently. I recalled how their northerly end must come near the coast at Queen Mary Land, where even at that moment Sir Douglas Mawson’s expedition was doubtless working less than a thousand miles away; and hoped that no evil fate would give Sir Douglas and his men a glimpse of what might lie beyond the protecting coastal range...'

At the Mountains of Madness, Lovecraft :skull: :heart:

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2016, 12:38 am

“It was miraculous. It was almost no trick at all, he saw, to turn vice into virtue and slander into truth, impotence into abstinence, arrogance into humility, plunder into philanthropy, thievery into honor, blasphemy into wisdom, brutality into patriotism, and sadism into justice. Anybody could do it; it required no brains at all. It merely required no character.” — Joseph Heller, Catch-22

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2016, 1:59 am

She's eighty-three now. Our child is thirty-six. Instinct tells me it's a girl. My mother is ninety-four. She still sends me a card and a five-dollar bill every Christmas.
"Your option s are to do everything or do nothing." Joan told me that. I have paid a dear and savage price to live history. I will never stop looking. I pray that these pages will find her and that she will not misread my devotion.
I have toured the world's revolutionary hot spots. I have been to Nicaragua, Grenada, Bosnia, Rwanda, Russia, Iran and Iraq. I have drawn pictures of Joan and aged her in my mind's eye. I read newspapers and magazines and searched for her actions in ellipsis. I see women who might be her and follow them until their aura disperse. I have paid out millions of dollars in tip cash. I hear of car bombings and arms deals and scan computer photographs. I have a lab filled with photo-enhancing equipment. Correspondents send me footage every day. I stare at crowd scenes and hold my breath for the moment it's her.
It's her picture. My gene of persistence.
My options often fluctuate between Then and Now. I live in the latter with reluctance. I live in the former with kid-convert rectitude.
There's a party at Tiger Kab. A strange island beckons me. I'm chasing a killer to a self-indicting end. I'm making friends and enemies and roving at full speed. I've got that license to steal and that ticket to ride.
It's always there. It's always unfurling. It's always teaching me new things. I give you this book and anoint you my comrade. Here is my gift in lieu of a reunion - my lost mother, my lost child and the Red Goddess Joan.

-Blood's A Rover, by James Ellroy.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2016, 2:11 am

"Do you not see how necessary a World of Pains and troubles is to school an Intelligence and make it a soul? A Place where the heart must feel and suffer in a thousand diverse ways!" (Excerpts from Keats's Letters, dated April 21, 1810)

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2016, 7:57 am

Quote:
He emerged dishevelled and triumphant, holding out to me what appeared to be a small, round stone.
“Look,” he said happily. “He was about to hibernate. I’ve rescued him from the billhooks of your minions.”
“A tortoise.”
“Yes, and he’s a beauty. He must have lived wild for a few years. They can survive, you know, if they can find a compost heap, or dead leaves that ferment and retain the heat. They can dig beneath the frost line too. If they are lucky and it’s a mild winter.”
“You know a lot about tortoises.”
“My parents had one. I loved it.”
“Called Speedy,” I said without thinking.
“How did you know?”
“They often are, aren’t they? Like short men are called Lofty.”
“I suppose so.”
The head and flippers were neatly tucked away in an economy of space.
<snip>
“And I seem to have won a tortoise. I’d better take him home.”

Quote:
Little tentacles of sensation return. Awareness of space, warmth, sounds. Hands touching, tending,, hurting. Stupid, fussing voices. I shall stay in the safe darkness. I won’t come out. I? I? Me? Who is me?
“This patient can be moved to a side ward now. And I want that social worker to dig out the girl who identified her.”
Her? Her? Same as I? Want to stay in the darkness. Stay where it’s safe. Patient. Patient? A hospital patient? The operating table and the pale pleading eyes in the dark. No. No.
Who moaned?
Hospital. I kept my eyes shut and began to remember. Time. Time had passed, a long time. A time of pain and terror. Chrome tubes, nausea, lights and whirling, shrieking noises, and afterward, always, the thankful sinking into the darkness.
“Sarah?”
A new voice, a louder, buzzing voice. A wasp underneath the sweetness, making demands.
“Sarah!”
I could make a decision. I could decide not to open my eyes and attend to the wasp. It wasn’t for me anyway. Me?
“I know you can hear me, dear. Dr. Reading thinks you might prefer to talk to Laura, but I’ve promised her that I won’t ask her to come and visit till you ask for her. You gave her such a fright, screaming at her like that. But if it wasn’t for her, we would never have found out who you are. Sensible of her to go to the police, don’t you think? You would have been such a puzzle.”
I had a puzzle. Who was me? Me? Laura? It was too difficult. I gave up. It didn’t seem to be my problem, so why did they bother me? Me? There was something else…
Thinking stopped. I fell asleep.

Both from
“Nightmare street” by Margaret Tabor

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

248RPA
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2016, 8:09 am

Quote:
Lolita, light of my life, fire of my loins. My sin, my soul. Lo-lee-ta: the tip of the tongue taking a trip of three steps down the palate to tap, at three, on the teeth. Lo. Lee. Ta. She was Lo, plain Lo, in the morning, standing four feet ten in one sock. She was Lola in slacks. She was Dolly at school. She was Dolores on the dotted line. But in my arms she was always Lolita. Did she have a precursor? She did, indeed she did. In point of fact, there might have been no Lolita at all had I not loved, one summer, an initial girl-child. In a princedom by the sea. Oh when? About as many years before Lolita was born as my age was that summer. You can always count on a murderer for a fancy prose style. Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, exhibit number one is what the seraphs, the misinformed, simple, noble-winged seraphs, envied. Look at this tangle of thorns.

~Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov

racheypie666
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2016, 8:12 am

Quote:
Étant arrivée à la porte du cabinet, elle s'y arrêta quelque temps, songeant à la défense que son Mari lui avait faite, et considérant qu'il pourrait lui arriver malheur d'avoir été désobéissante ; mais la tentation était si forte qu'elle ne put la surmonter : elle prit donc la petite clef, et ouvrit en tremblant la porte du cabinet. D'abord elle ne vit rien, parce que les fenêtres étaient fermées ; après quelques moments elle commença à voir que le plancher était tout couvert de sang caillé, et que dans ce sang se miraient les corps de plusieurs femmes mortes et attachées le long des murs (c'étaient toutes les femmes que la Barbe bleue avait épousées et qu'il avait égorgées l'une après l'autre).

Elle pensa mourir de peur, et la clef du cabinet qu'elle venait de retirer de la serrure lui tomba de la main.
Après avoir un peu repris ses esprits, elle ramassa la clef, referma la porte, et monta à sa chambre pour se remettre un peu ; mais elle n'en pouvait venir à bout, tant elle était émue. Ayant remarqué que la clef du cabinet était tachée de sang, elle l'essuya deux ou trois fois, mais le sang ne s'en allait point ; elle eut beau la laver et même la frotter avec du sablon et avec du grais, il y demeura toujours du sang, car la clef était Fée, et il n'y avait pas moyen de la nettoyer tout à fait : quand on ôtait le sang d'un côté, il revenait de l'autre.

^^La Barbe Bleue, Charles Perrault

And 2 from Through the Looking Glass, but honestly I could quote the whole book.

Quote:
I only hope the boat won’t tipple over!’ she said to herself. ‘Oh, what a lovely one! Only I couldn’t quite reach it.’ ‘And it certainly did seem a little provoking (‘almost as if it happened on purpose,’ she thought) that, though she managed to pick plenty of beautiful rushes as the boat glided by, there was always a more lovely one that she couldn’t reach.
‘The prettiest are always further!’ she said at last, with a sigh at the obstinacy of the rushes in growing so far off, as, with flushed cheeks and dripping hair and hands, she scrambled back into her place, and began to arrange her new-found treasures.
What mattered it to her just then that the rushes had begun to fade, and to lose all their scent and beauty, from the very moment that she picked them? Even real scented rushes, you know, last only a very little while—and these, being dream-rushes, melted away almost like snow, as they lay in heaps at her feet—but Alice hardly noticed this, there were so many other curious things to think about.

Quote:
‘He’s dreaming now,’ said Tweedledee: ‘and what do you think he’s dreaming about?’
Alice said ‘Nobody can guess that.’
‘Why, about you!’ Tweedledee exclaimed, clapping his hands triumphantly. ‘And if he left off dreaming about you, where do you suppose you’d be?’
‘Where I am now, of course,’ said Alice.
‘Not you!’ Tweedledee retorted contemptuously. ‘You’d be nowhere. Why, you’re only a sort of thing in his dream!’
‘If that there King was to wake,’ added Tweedledum, ‘you’d go out—bang!—just like a candle!’
‘I shouldn’t!’ Alice exclaimed indignantly. ‘Besides, if I’m only a sort of thing in his dream, what are you, I should like to know?’
‘Ditto’ said Tweedledum.
‘Ditto, ditto’ cried Tweedledee.
He shouted this so loud that Alice couldn’t help saying, ‘Hush! You’ll be waking him, I’m afraid, if you make so much noise.’
‘Well, it no use your talking about waking him,’ said Tweedledum, ‘when you’re only one of the things in his dream. You know very well you’re not real.’
‘I am real!’ said Alice and began to cry.
‘You won’t make yourself a bit realler by crying,’ Tweedledee remarked: ‘there’s nothing to cry about.’
‘If I wasn’t real,’ Alice said—half-laughing through her tears, it all seemed so ridiculous—‘I shouldn’t be able to cry.’
‘I hope you don’t suppose those are real tears?’ Tweedledum interrupted in a tone of great contempt.

racheypie666
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2016, 8:15 am

Quote:
He bent his great brown eyes on her, shrewd--aloof, confused. He signalled to her, in one second, his Will to Die, and for all her training and experience she knew she could never do anything constructive with him. He stood up, steadying himself on the wash-basin and fixing his eyes on some place just ahead.

'Now, if I'm going to stay here you're not going to get at that liquor,' she said.

Suddenly she knew he wasn't looking for that. He was looking at the corner where he had thrown the bottle the night before. She stared at his handsome face, weak and defiant--afraid to turn even half-way because she knew that death was in that corner where he was looking. She knew death--she had heard it, smelt its unmistakable odour, but she had never seen it before it entered into anyone, and she knew this man saw it in the corner of his bathroom; that it was standing there looking at him while he spat from a feeble cough and rubbed the result into the braid of his trousers. It shone there crackling for a moment as evidence of the last gesture he ever made.

She tried to express it next day to Mrs Hixson:

'It's not like anything you can beat--no matter how hard you try. This one could have twisted my wrists until he strained them and that wouldn't matter so much to me. It's just that you can't really help them and it's so discouraging--it's all for nothing.'

An Alcoholic Case, F Scott Fitzgerald :heart:

248RPA
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2016, 8:23 am

Quote:
At 4:20 P.M . Morse seemed to rally a little and held his hand up for the nurse.

'I’m allowed a drop more Scotch?' he whispered.

She poured out the miserably small contents of the second miniature and held a jug of water over the glass.

'Yes?'

'No,' said Morse.

She put her arm around his shoulders, pulled him toward her, and held the glass to his lips. But he sipped so little that she wondered whether he’d drunk a single drop; and as he coughed and spluttered she took the glass away and for a few moments held him closely to her, and felt profoundly sad as finally she eased the white head back against the pillows.

For just a little while, Morse opened his eyes and looked up at her.

'Please thank Lewis for me …'

But so softly spoken were the words that she wasn’t quite able to catch them.

The call came through to Sergeant Lewis just after 5 P.M

The Remorseful Day (Inspector Morse Book 13) by Colin Dexter

DancingCorpse
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2016, 2:06 am

alice in wonderland is a beautiful thing to peruse, I could get lost in that tinsel every minute, I enjoy considering it far too much, though why I feel that way I can't quite justify with enough gusto to be concerned by the frequency.

racheypie666
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2016, 6:08 am

DancingCorpse wrote:
alice in wonderland is a beautiful thing to peruse, I could get lost in that tinsel every minute, I enjoy considering it far too much, though why I feel that way I can't quite justify with enough gusto to be concerned by the frequency.

It's impossible to enjoy the Alice books too much :D ; to my mind they're some of the most complex pieces of 'children's' literature ever written. There's so much to analyse in them, logic/philosophy/mathematics etc., not to mention the poetry and cultural allusions. The tone of the second book is much sadder I think, with the gnat, the deer, the white knight etc., and it's probably my favourite of the two because of that tone. I love Alice's serious conversations with herself too, I do exactly the same thing :oops: .

Quote:
‘Come, there’s no use in crying like that!’ said Alice to herself, rather sharply; ‘I advise you to leave off this minute!’ She generally gave herself very good advice, (though she very seldom followed it), and sometimes she scolded herself so severely as to bring tears into her eyes; and once she remembered trying to box her own ears for having cheated herself in a game of croquet she was playing against herself, for this curious child was very fond of pretending to be two people. ‘But it’s no use now,’ thought poor Alice, ‘to pretend to be two people! Why, there’s hardly enough of me left to make one respectable person!’