Literary passage you're obsessed with

Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

racheypie666
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2016, 6:08 am

DancingCorpse wrote:
alice in wonderland is a beautiful thing to peruse, I could get lost in that tinsel every minute, I enjoy considering it far too much, though why I feel that way I can't quite justify with enough gusto to be concerned by the frequency.

It's impossible to enjoy the Alice books too much :D ; to my mind they're some of the most complex pieces of 'children's' literature ever written. There's so much to analyse in them, logic/philosophy/mathematics etc., not to mention the poetry and cultural allusions. The tone of the second book is much sadder I think, with the gnat, the deer, the white knight etc., and it's probably my favourite of the two because of that tone. I love Alice's serious conversations with herself too, I do exactly the same thing :oops: .

Quote:
‘Come, there’s no use in crying like that!’ said Alice to herself, rather sharply; ‘I advise you to leave off this minute!’ She generally gave herself very good advice, (though she very seldom followed it), and sometimes she scolded herself so severely as to bring tears into her eyes; and once she remembered trying to box her own ears for having cheated herself in a game of croquet she was playing against herself, for this curious child was very fond of pretending to be two people. ‘But it’s no use now,’ thought poor Alice, ‘to pretend to be two people! Why, there’s hardly enough of me left to make one respectable person!’

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2016, 2:55 am

In the dawn there is a man progressing over the plain by means of holes which he is making in the ground. He uses an implement with two handles and he chucks it into the hole and he enkindles the stone in the hole with his steel hole by hole striking the fire out of the rock which God has put there. On the plain behind him are the wanderers in search of bones and those who do not search and they move haltingly in the light like mechanisms whose movements are monitored with escapement and pallet so that they appear restrained by a prudence or reflectiveness which has no inner reality and they cross in their progress one by one that track of holes that runs to the rim of the visible ground and which seems less the pursuit of some continuance than the verification of a principle, a validation of sequence and causality as if each round and perfect hole owed its existence to the one before it there on that prairie upon which are the bones and the gatherers of bones and those who do not gather. He strikes fire in the hole and draws out his steel. Then they all move on again.

-Blood Meridian Epilogue

Kuraudo777
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2016, 1:58 pm

Skilpaddle: That's one of my favourite series!

“To love someone enough to let them go, you had to let them go forever or you did not love them that much.”

“Mr. Lynn gave her one of his considering looks. "People are strange," he said. "Usually they're much stranger than you think. Start from there and you'll never be unpleasantly surprised."

--various quotations from Fire and Hemlock [by Diana Wynne Jones]

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.”

-Bilbo Baggins; from The Fellowship of The Ring

“Some who have read the book, or at any rate have reviewed it, have found it boring, absurd, or contemptible, and I have no cause to complain, since I have similar opinions of their works, or of the kinds of writing that they evidently prefer.” [a quotation from J. R. R. Tolkien]

“The leaves were long, the grass was green,
The hemlock-umbels tall and fair,
And in the glade a light was seen
Of stars in shadow shimmering.
Tinuviel was dancing there
To music of a pipe unseen,
And light of stars was in her hair,
And in her raiment glimmering.

There Beren came from mountains cold,
And lost he wandered under leaves,
And where the Elven-river rolled.
He walked along and sorrowing.
He peered between the hemlock-leaves
And saw in wonder flowers of gold
Upon her mantle and her sleeves,
And her hair like shadow following.

...He sought her ever, wandering far
Where leaves of years were thickly strewn,
By light of moon and ray of star
In frosty heavens shivering.
Her mantle glinted in the moon,
As on a hill-top high and far
She danced, and at her feet was strewn
A mist of silver quivering.

When winter passed, she came again,
And her song released the sudden spring,
Like rising lark, and falling rain,
And melting water bubbling.
He saw the elven-flowers spring
About her feet, and healed again
He longed by her to dance and sing
Upon the grass untroubling.

Again she fled, but swift he came.
Tinuviel! Tinuviel!
He called her by her elvish name;
And there she halted listening.
One moment stood she, and a spell
His voice laid on her: Beren came,
And doom fell on Tinuviel
That in his arms lay glistening.

As Beren looked into her eyes
Within the shadows of her hair,
The trembling starlight of the skies
He saw there mirrored shimmering.
Tinuviel the elven-fair,
Immortal maiden elven-wise,
About him cast her shadowy hair
And arms like silver glimmering.

Long was the way that fate them bore,
O'er stony mountains cold and grey,
Through halls of iron and darkling door,
And woods of nightshade morrowless.
The Sundering Seas between them lay,
And yet at last they met once more,
And long ago they passed away
In the forest singing sorrowless.”
--The song of Beren and Luthien, from The Fellowship of The Ring

“I wonder,” said Frodo, “But I don’t know. And that’s the way of a real tale. Take any one that you’re fond of. You may know, or guess, what kind of a tale it is, happy-ending or sad-ending, but the people in it don’t know. And you don’t want them to.”
--The Two Towers

“But her beauty was more than their beauty, and her sorrow deeper than their sorrows; and she [Luthien] knelt before Mandos and sang to him.”
--The Silmarillion

A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? That's why sometimes it can be mistaken and a different thing. But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel.” Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

deafghost52
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Dec 2016, 8:05 pm

Maybe not necessarily "obsessed" with it (that would imply that I've been reading it repeatedly), but I have been thinking about this series A LOT since I recently finished it:

Quote:
It was the sort of house real-estate agents call a ranch. Eddie wasn't surprised. What did surprise him a little was how modest the place was. Then he reminded himself that not every writer was a rich writer, and that probably went double for young writers. Some sort of typo had apparently made his second novel the catch among bibliomaniacs, but Eddie doubted if King ever saw a commission on that sort of thing. Or royalties, if that was what they called it.

Still, the car parked in the turnaround driveway was a new-looking Jeep Cherokee with a nifty Indian stripe running up the side, and that suggested Stephen King wasn't exactly starving for his art, either. There was a wooden jungle gym in the front yard with a lot of plastic toys scattered around it. Eddie's heart sank at the sight of them. One lesson which the Calla had taught exquisitely was that kids complicated things. The ones living here were little kids, from the look of the toys. And to them comes a pair of men wearing hard calibers. Men who were not, at this point in time, strictly in their right minds.

Eddie cut the Ford's engine. A crow cawed. A powerboat--bigger than the one they'd heard earlier, from the sound--buzzed. Beyond the house, bright sun glinted on blue water. And the voices sang Come, come, come-come-commala

There was a clunk as Roland opened his door and got out, slewing a little as he did so: bad hip, dry twist. Eddie got out on legs that felt as numb as sticks.

"Tabby? That you?"

This from around the right side of the house. And now, running ahead of the voice and the man who owned the voice, came a shadow. Never had Eddie seen one that so filled him with terror and fascination. He thought, and with absolute certainty: Yonder comes my maker. Yonder is he, aye, say true. And the voices sang, Commala-come-three, he who made me.

"Did you forget something, darling?" Only the last word came out in a downeast drawl, daaa-lin, the way John Cullum would have said it. And then came the man of the house, then came he. He saw them and stopped. He saw Roland and stopped. The singing voices stopped with him, and the powerboat's drone seemed to stop as well. For a moment the whole world hung on a hinge. Then the man turned and ran. Not, however, before Eddie saw the terrible thunderstruck look of recognition on his face.

Roland was after him in a flash, like a cat after a bird.

Song of Susannah: The Dark Tower VI, pp. 361-363, Stephen King

-- Claude Debussy

deafghost52
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Dec 2016, 9:13 am

I also really like the poem from which The Dark Tower was chiefly inspired. Here's the last four stanzas:

Quote:
XXXI.

What in the midst lay but the Tower itself?
The round squat turret, blind as the fool's heart,
Built of brown stone, without a counter-part
In the whole world. The tempest's mocking elf
Points to the shipman thus the unseen shelf
He strikes on, only when the timbers start.

XXXII.

Not see? because of night perhaps?---why, day
Came back again for that! before it left,
The dying sunset kindled through a cleft:
The hills, like giants at a hunting, lay,
Chin upon hand, to see the game at bay,---
``Now stab and end the creature---to the heft!''

XXXIII.

Not hear? when noise was everywhere! it tolled
Increasing like a bell. Names in my ears
Of all the lost adventurers my peers,---
How such a one was strong, and such was bold,
And such was fortunate, yet, each of old
Lost, lost! one moment knelled the woe of years.

XXXIV.

There they stood, ranged along the hill-sides, met
To view the last of me, a living frame
For one more picture! in a sheet of flame
I saw them and I knew them all. And yet
Dauntless the slug-horn to my lips I set,
And blew. ``_Childe Roland to the Dark Tower came._''

- Robert Browning

-- Claude Debussy

DancingCorpse
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2016, 12:07 am

'What the Chronics are - or most of us - are machines with flaws inside that can't be repaired, flaws born in, or flaws beat in over so many years of the guy running head-on into solid things that by the time the hospital found him he was bleeding rust in some vacant lot.' Kesey, One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest

racheypie666 wrote:
It's impossible to enjoy the Alice books too much :D ; to my mind they're some of the most complex pieces of 'children's' literature ever written. There's so much to analyse in them, logic/philosophy/mathematics etc., not to mention the poetry and cultural allusions. The tone of the second book is much sadder I think, with the gnat, the deer, the white knight etc., and it's probably my favourite of the two because of that tone. I love Alice's serious conversations with herself too, I do exactly the same thing :oops: .

They are nobly difficult to navigate and gain a cohesive footing upon, that's more on us than on ol' Lewis/Charles, it's a magnificent swathe of fantastically insightful land that he crafted, you can appreciate and delve into it on so many different levels and depths, if you get lost, no big deal, just float around in the tide until you find a frayed thread to unravel :ninja:

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2016, 12:08 am

The naming of cats is a difficult matter. It's not just one of your holiday games.

T.S. Eliot-Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats

Beauty will save the world.

Dostoyevsky, The Idiot (Tattooed, in Japanese, on tennis player Janko Tipsarevic's arm)

DancingCorpse
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2016, 1:13 am

I spy TS Eliot, how about this from the abominable slice of deconstruction that is The Wasteland;

'With a dead sound on the final stroke of nine, there I saw one I knew and stopped him, crying: 'Stetson! You who were with me in the ships at Mylae, that corpse you planted last year in your garden, has it begun to sprout? Will it bloom this year, or has the sudden frost disturbed its bed?'

The Unleasher
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2017, 4:19 pm

"Along my journey, I have seen the horrors that humans can inflict on one another, but I've also witnessed acts of tenderness and kindness and sacrifice in the worst circumstances imaginable. I know that it is possible to lose part of your humanity in order to survive. But I also know that the spark of human dignity is never completely extinguished, and that given the oxygen of freedom and the power of love, it can grow again."

-Yeonmi Park, In Order to Live

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2017, 11:45 pm

“We did not ask for this room or this music. We were invited in. Therefore, because the dark surrounds us, let us turn our faces to the light. Let us endure hardship to be grateful for plenty. We have been given pain to be astounded by joy. We have been given life to deny death. We did not ask for this room or this music. But because we are here, let us dance.”
[Stephen King, "11-22-63"]

einsteinmyhero
Toucan
Toucan

23 Jan 2017, 2:28 pm

That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die
-H.P. Lovecraft

“Men passionately desire to live after death, but they often pass away without noticing the fact that the memory of a really good person always lives. It is impressed upon the next generation, and is transmitted again to the children. Is that not an immortality worth striving for? ”
― Pyotr Kropotkin, Memoirs of a Revolutionist

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2017, 2:48 pm

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
-Robert A. Heinlein

DancingCorpse
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2017, 2:53 pm

deafghost52 wrote:
Song of Susannah: The Dark Tower VI, pp. 361-363, Stephen King

I'm re reading Sai King's dark tower series again, started with Wolves of the Calla and going to the Gunslinger next cause that's the first one I could find in my perpetually crumbled mountain range of books :jester: I think The Wastelands happened to be my fave tale, things really started going off the rails. I thought MM would make an exceptional Eddie Dean, was surprised that he ain't gonna be playing him.

248RPA
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2017, 9:45 pm

It hurts so much, she thought. Our children, Ned, all our sweet babes. Rickon, Bran, Arya, Sansa, Robb… Robb… please, Ned, please, make it stop, make it stop hurting… The white tears and the red ones ran together until her face was torn and tattered, the face that Ned had loved. Catelyn Stark raised her hands and watched the blood run down her long fingers, over her wrists, beneath the sleeves of her gown. Slow red worms crawled along her arms and under her clothes. It tickles. That made her laugh until she screamed.

“Mad,” someone said, “she’s lost her wits,” and someone else said, “Make an end,” and a hand grabbed her scalp just as she’d done with Jinglebell, and she thought, No, don’t, don’t cut my hair, Ned loves my hair. Then the steel was at her throat, and its bite was red and cold."

A Storm of Swords chapter 51, George RR Martin

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2017, 9:48 pm

You may be an undigested bit of beef, a blot of mustard, a crumb of cheese, a fragment of underdone potato. There's more of gravy than of grave about you, whatever you are!” ― Charles Dickens, A Christmas Carol