Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

248RPA
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2016, 7:59 pm

At a very young age, while the rest of my peers couldn't wait to get bigger, I realised the responsibilities of being an adult.

Once, I had a dream that I set out to find an fairy that could make me stay as a child forever. I searched long and hard, but I finally found her. However, my classmate found her before me, and the fairy was already using her magic on my classmate. Then the fairy collapsed on the floor, exhausted from her magic use.

From then on, I accepted that I will grow up no matter what, but I still don't want to.

Kuraudo777
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2016, 7:15 pm

What's the point of growing up if you can't be childish [or child-like]? :D A friend of mine is in his mid fifties, and he's definitely still child-like. 8)

A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? That's why sometimes it can be mistaken and a different thing. But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel.” Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

rats_and_cats
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2016, 2:07 pm

Being childlike is actually good for your mental health! Psychologists have discovered that is a healthy way of beating depression and anxiety: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiTgn5QH_HU

Kuraudo777
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2016, 2:58 pm

I think the Dali Lama once said something like 'Childhood is a state of being/a way of living.' :D

A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? That's why sometimes it can be mistaken and a different thing. But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel.” Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

Nekomonster
Toucan
Toucan

23 Nov 2016, 5:53 pm

Same tbh. I have serious issues with adulthood and having an adult appearance which weigh down on my mental health significantly. :?

trapezium
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 Nov 2016, 9:53 am

Growing up gives you the freedom to live how you want, unfortunately most people don't see it that way. They see growing up as meaning you have to fit in the stereotype of an 'adult' but that is ridiculous. As an adult, you have the ability to do whatever you want. I feel much happier as an 'adult' than I did as a child. Now I have to work a lot to pay for living expenses, but I also have enough money leftover to buy mostly anything I want. I have the freedom to say that I am going to skip a day and sleep in if I can't deal with the outside world. None of those things were possible as a child.

I would recommend watching a movie (or reading the book) called The Little Prince. The movie has a great quote which says "The problem is not growing up, the problem is forgetting." Or something like that. Basically, the character expresses that adults forget the wonders and the joys of life, and that this is the reason why they change. Great story, made me cry several times.

Kuraudo777
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2016, 5:17 pm

^That's one of my favourite stories and movie! :D

hellhole
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

27 Nov 2016, 5:13 pm

peter-pan syndrome eh? me too dude

"vulnerable narcissistic defenses w/ mild borderline traits"; Body Dysmorphic Disorder, (self-diagnosed).

Our internal representation of reality: (http://bit.ly/2BJuj5o)

Lefeuvre
Butterfly
Butterfly

08 Dec 2016, 8:22 am

Same here. When I turned sixteen, I cried a lot. But now I've just turned 20 and I don't feel that different from my 16 years old self. Like people use to say, you just got to stay young at heart. Being an adult is not so bad as I thought it would be.

CryingTears15
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Dec 2016, 11:28 am

When you are a child, you have the freedom to be yourself with adults to protect you.

Now, you have the same limits: debt, rent, jobs, etc, that you did as a child, but you need to have a hand in taking care of them.

Growing up doesn't mean having more limits. It means accepting them.

If you're afraid you can't do well, there are always resources online and in the world to help you, many very cheap.

Responsibility is scary, but most of the people in the world are shouldering such responsibility, and many aren't doing it alone.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2016, 6:29 am

Growing up is the best part of childhood.

I didn't like being a child at all but I'd love to experience growing up again.

Having your capabilities expand from next to nothing to greater than you thought possible is a wonderful experience.