Page 1 of 11 [ 171 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next

Jessicamae
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 Nov 2016, 1:52 pm

(Hello, I'm new here. Well, I haven't posted before but I've been reading stuff on here for ages)

My uni is having a sort of competition for product ideas that could "improve access and promote inclusivity and equality." for people with disabilities and I thought it was a good opportunity to talk about some issues.

All I've been able to think of today though is my own personal sound proof bubble which I don't think they'd go for.

So I was wondering if anyone had any ideas of things/apps/anything that would help them with their day to day that don't exist yet.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2016, 3:04 am

Less emphasis on multitasking abilties
Less emphasis on networking skills, more on skills that actually produce something.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

underwater
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2016, 3:12 am

It's worth looking into this from a Design for All perspective:

http://designforall.org/design.php

The idea of creating a special product to facilitate is a bit last century - by using the product, the disabled person draws attention to their disability, which again excludes them.

I'd look into systemic solutions. Service design. Office space architecture that enables both ND and NT people to do their job. That sort of thing.

For example a lot of autistics have trouble filling out forms. Is there a way to make it easier?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2016, 6:31 am

a life coach that understands mental illness.

Private Idaho
Toucan
Toucan

25 Nov 2016, 1:40 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Less emphasis on multitasking abilties
Less emphasis on networking skills, more on skills that actually produce something.

Yes I am very weak in those areas and always have been. I wish I had an occupational therapist or similar professional who could help place me in work not emphasizing these skills, but I'm not sure such a professional exists in the US.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2016, 4:19 pm

I get the distinct impression that the PTB consider most of us to be disposable.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2016, 1:14 pm

auntblabby wrote:
I get the distinct impression that the PTB consider most of us to be disposable.

Who or what is the PTB?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2016, 4:47 pm

starkid wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

Who or what is the PTB?

Powers
That
Be

IOW "the establishment."

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2016, 12:32 pm

Ear defenders that block the sound of the human voice.

Housing that is specially for neurodiverse people. Most disability-based housing is for physically disabled people. I don't know if you consider housing to be a product, but things like sound-proof walls (used as building materials) are products.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2016, 5:01 pm

soundproof walls, what a concept :idea: too bad only the rich can afford such. :|

searsdp04
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Jan 2017, 10:05 pm

Better communication skills. When I was a kid they just thought I was shy. They should have known better, they might have got me to say one or two things per day. Oh well, a BA an MA and then diagnosis later on. Still have trouble communicating though. Especially non verbals.

kaspertie
Butterfly
Butterfly

11 Jan 2017, 1:00 pm

universal basic income.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2017, 5:55 pm

^^^^QFT :thumleft:

oddnumberedcat
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

02 Aug 2017, 2:21 am

I've always fantasized about having someone shadow me somehow in a non-obtrusive way to get a 3rd-person perspective of how i'm handling social situations. Did I say the right thing? Did I interpret this person as being annoyed with me, or is that just my social anxiety? How do other people perceive me?

I'd also like it if someone could prompt me to break out of my routine more often. I love my routine and am loath to break it, but I am occasionally bothered by a slightly niggling thought that I'm missing out on things I would potentially enjoy. (But largely I just like my routine and don't want to be bothered.)

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2017, 8:09 pm

oddnumberedcat wrote:
I've always fantasized about having someone shadow me somehow in a non-obtrusive way to get a 3rd-person perspective of how i'm handling social situations. Did I say the right thing? Did I interpret this person as being annoyed with me, or is that just my social anxiety? How do other people perceive me?

I'd also like it if someone could prompt me to break out of my routine more often. I love my routine and am loath to break it, but I am occasionally bothered by a slightly niggling thought that I'm missing out on things I would potentially enjoy. (But largely I just like my routine and don't want to be bothered.)

yes the first paragraph exactly.

b/c the psychotherapist's job description does not require or allow the psychotherapist to interact with the client outside of counseling.

so the counselor can't get a representative sample of the way i am.

the other thing is though. hey i am 34 and anything is "a day late, a dollar short".

the current psychotherapist is awesome. but she told me the insurance only pays for 3 more months. once every other week for one hour. and that's it. no more counseling.

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2017, 11:58 pm

Human Resources or job recruiters need to get their head out of their ass.

Not every job needs a High Energy / Team Player / Multitasker.

A more practical answer to the OP would be a more comprehensive Telecommuting Workforce development program.