Does anyone get tired mentally after a 40 hour week

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Timx89
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

20 Nov 2016, 9:49 am

I work forty hours on a janitor job and have two kids. I was wondering if anyone else with aspergers have the same problem that they're just mentally drain and it takes someone to tell you to do something.

ok
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Nov 2016, 9:37 am

It's pretty normal to be exhausted from doing hard physical labor. Some aspies are also easier to stress out than other people. If you are very tired constantly, see a doctor. You could also talk to your boss about it - but be careful, maybe your boss won't understand your troubles.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2016, 11:28 am

Sometimes I can get mentally exhausted after just one or two days if I do a ton of stuff. Interestingly enough, I can often do simple physical work when I get home.

ok
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Nov 2016, 3:26 pm

Multitasking and aspies = don't mix.

It's a good idea to pick your fights so to speak. I usually make small daily plans on what I should do in a single day. Don't forget to take breaks now and then.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2016, 5:05 am

wish I was still hirable. nobody wants to pay me for anything.

Scorpius14
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2016, 3:06 pm

I feel mentally tired after a 2 hour working day let alone 10 hours a week doin volunteer work, i imagine the real working world will be much worse

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

23 Nov 2016, 6:10 pm

I was when I was working but I was under alot of pressure & dealing with depression.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Timx89
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

26 Nov 2016, 9:58 pm

Yeah it's not the work it's the weekends always seem lazier then my weekdays at work, but at least I know others feel the same. I work for a contract janitor work for goodwill so they know everything able my disablely it's nice to have that and have them understand. It's just tough on weekends when I'm at home with two kids and seems like I don't care but just feel so mentally drained thought the week. Yes my wife does most of the work at home but I'm one of those people I don't know what's going on most of time and need to be told what to do if I'm feeling mentally drain. Was wondering if that was normal do you guys get mentally drain that someone has to let you know what to do at times?

r.steiner4
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Dec 2016, 12:35 am

I have issues with the 40 hour work week as well. I don't seem to be equally exhausted by my schoolwork as long as I can complete most of it at home. I think it may have a lot to do with multi tasking, face to face human interaction and the aspie brain trying to manage all of that stimulation all day long with out loosing it.

Timx89
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

07 Dec 2016, 2:39 pm

r.steiner4 wrote:
I have issues with the 40 hour work week as well. I don't seem to be equally exhausted by my schoolwork as long as I can complete most of it at home. I think it may have a lot to do with multi tasking, face to face human interaction and the aspie brain trying to manage all of that stimulation all day long with out loosing it.

Do you do full or part time school? Was wondering how it is with a 40 hour week.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2016, 3:02 pm

Timx89 wrote:
I work forty hours on a janitor job and have two kids. I was wondering if anyone else with aspergers have the same problem that they're just mentally drain and it takes someone to tell you to do something.

I just work part time.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

EmmaHyde
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Dec 2016, 1:34 pm

When I worked retail during the holidays (the whole month of December), I was working 40 hours a week (despite being part time) + being a full time college student (12-16 units). I was literally barely able to function and so mentally exhausted from work that I ended up having to repeat several courses that I failed. You're not alone

-------
Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 175 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 59 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)
++++++

Windstorm
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Dec 2016, 11:01 am

I work 40 hours a week without a problem. But if I'm asked to work even 1 hour overtime I get internally upset & stress out. 40 is what I was hired for & that's what I do.

HenryGramer
Raven
Raven

20 Dec 2016, 1:01 pm

If it's a job I hate, I get tired within an hour or 2.

ND score: 131/200
NT score: 58/200

Says I'm Aspie...

Please don't type of paragraphs in response to my questions or replies because that will overwhelm my mind and make me not want to read your responses.

Lockheart
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Dec 2016, 8:02 am

Yes, absolutely.

As r.steiner4 mentioned, I don't have anywhere near as many issues with working 40 hours a week or more on university assignments, as long as I can complete them my way, at home, without social interaction. Unfortunately, you don't tend to get that much control in a workplace. I think I am going to have to work part-time when I finish up with university, though I suspect it will partly depend on the type of job I end up in.

PuzzlePieces1
Raven
Raven

29 Dec 2016, 3:58 pm

Try working a 40 hour work week and then another 10 hours a week working a second job PLUS doing all the chores and cooking and cleaning at home. It's absolutely exhausting. That's what vodka cocktails and DVR marathons are for on the weekends. :-)