Requesting Reasonable Accommodations for uniform

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

nomral
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Nov 2016, 10:41 am

I've recently been hired, which I desperately needed, for a part time job at a grocery store bakery. I can't find any information about the uniforms for their bakery employees other than that they wear a smock over it, but I have a feeling that the uniform may require buttons and/or collars, which I absolutely cannot stand. Polo shirts are one of the worst kinds, but this may be what they expect me to wear.

I've tried in the past to work jobs that required me to wear buttons and they ended up being too overwhelming for me and I quit fairly soon after being hired--not just because of the buttons, since there were other environmental factors, but I do think that the buttons made a huge difference in my anxiety level and I also know that I can handle most other environmental factors as long as nothing pushes me over that line. Fluorescent lighting and loud noises and a lot of touching and people and bright, reflective surfaces are painful, but I deal with them. Buttons are the one thing I've never been able to move past, though, and I think not wearing them could mean the difference between me succeeding at this job and me getting overwhelmed and quitting within weeks.

I know that my refusal to wear buttons and collars sounds stupid to most people; that definitely seems to be how my family and teachers always felt about it, although now my mom agrees that asking to not wear buttons would be a reasonable accommodation. I haven't actually started yet but I've been given a job offer and I've filled out all the relevant forms and the person who hired me said I could start tomorrow--I do at least know that they were very eager to hire someone new, which probably works in my favor.

Do you all have any advice on requesting reasonable accommodations for things that most people never have to think about and would probably consider stupid? Do you think it would lower the boss's opinion of me too much and damage my work experience there (although to be fair, having to wear the buttons would probably mean me quitting fairly soon anyway, based on past experience)? I'm a little anxious about making this request and having to explain myself to someone who may think it's stupid and just decide to "encourage me to leave" or something. Any advice would be appreciated.

EDIT: As far as reasonable accommodations go, I think that since I'll be wearing a smock over the uniform anyway, I could ask to wear a plain shirt of whatever color they want (maybe white or black or the same color as whatever shirt they'd have me wear).

markowhite
Butterfly
Butterfly

20 Jan 2017, 8:22 pm

if it's that big of an issue for you, requesting reasonable adjustments might be the only way to go

I would just ask if it's OK if you wore a shirt with no collar/buttons
offer to buy a regular work uniform then just cut the buttons off and replace them with valcro (if you can sew or use a hot glue gun)

it will probably be a very unusual request, don't be surprised if your boss doesn't understand
just say that it's embarrassing but that you really can't stand them

I wouldn't try to use the law to compel a new boss to make adjustments for you
at the end of the day they are either willing or not willing; and if they arn't willing then they probably won't keep you for long anyway

I have a milder issue of the same kind with clothing tags, labels etc
so I just cut them all off; nobody even notices

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2017, 9:18 pm

I've recently been hired, which I desperately needed, for a part time job at a grocery store bakery. I can't find any information about the uniforms for their bakery employees other than that they wear a smock over it, but I have a feeling that the uniform may require buttons and/or collars, which I absolutely cannot stand. Polo shirts are one of the worst kinds, but this may be what they expect me to wear.

I've tried in the past to work jobs that required me to wear buttons and they ended up being too overwhelming for me and I quit fairly soon after being hired--not just because of the buttons, since there were other environmental factors, but I do think that the buttons made a huge difference in my anxiety level and I also know that I can handle most other environmental factors as long as nothing pushes me over that line. Fluorescent lighting and loud noises and a lot of touching and people and bright, reflective surfaces are painful, but I deal with them. Buttons are the one thing I've never been able to move past, though, and I think not wearing them could mean the difference between me succeeding at this job and me getting overwhelmed and quitting within weeks.

I know that my refusal to wear buttons and collars sounds stupid to most people; that definitely seems to be how my family and teachers always felt about it, although now my mom agrees that asking to not wear buttons would be a reasonable accommodation. I haven't actually started yet but I've been given a job offer and I've filled out all the relevant forms and the person who hired me said I could start tomorrow--I do at least know that they were very eager to hire someone new, which probably works in my favor.

Do you all have any advice on requesting reasonable accommodations for things that most people never have to think about and would probably consider stupid? Do you think it would lower the boss's opinion of me too much and damage my work experience there (although to be fair, having to wear the buttons would probably mean me quitting fairly soon anyway, based on past experience)? I'm a little anxious about making this request and having to explain myself to someone who may think it's stupid and just decide to "encourage me to leave" or something. Any advice would be appreciated.

EDIT: As far as reasonable accommodations go, I think that since I'll be wearing a smock over the uniform anyway, I could ask to wear a plain shirt of whatever color they want (maybe white or black or the same color as whatever shirt they'd have me wear).

print out articles about Sensory Processing Disorder and ADA reasonable accommodations. show them to your boss.

what is "reasonable" is subjective. the boss will either take it or reject it. the boss could claim it is not reasonable. or the boss could otherwise fire you.

look up "employment disability discrimination". if the boss fires you, see if you have a legal right to take out a lawsuit.

if not, proceed with employment.

Copelandia
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

08 May 2017, 12:18 pm

"Koumpounophobia" is fear of buttons.

BrokenPieces
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2017, 3:41 pm

I'm sorry. I love buttons and collars most of the time butnI could see how they could be unbearable to someone.

I worked at a grocery store bakery in the past and we were required to wear collared shirts under our smock. However, people on the opposite side - the deli, frequently just wore regular t shirts of the uniform color and no one ever said anything. They did it out of laziness, not because of a processing disorder. So I don't see why you wouldn't be accomodated.

I could see it not making sense to your employer but really buttons or a collar is a small thing to forego for someone who is willing to do the job.