Page 1 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Do you think that the majority of people on the Internet are hostile toward autists?
Yes 43%  43%  [ 34 ]
No 58%  58%  [ 46 ]
Total votes : 80

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2016, 2:23 am

I always bring light to how insensitive their being, fore Hiding in the shadows won't work. At least in my opinion. I've noticed in all crowds different age groups are less hostile. The Children are more hostile, The teenagers are the most hostile, and Adults are the least, in General at least in the sites I'm on. I only go on a handful of websites though.
No, most people who through around insults about the disabled are abled. It's the abled majority who do that..

green0star
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2016, 11:23 am

XenoMind wrote:
green0star wrote:
The only way they know is if you tell them

They don't need to know why they don't like you to don't like you.

I just find that its easier to not associate with intellectually inferior beings on that note. If someone is that ignorant to where they would even utter such nonsense then that person is not even worth your spit.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2016, 11:51 am

green0star wrote:
XenoMind wrote:
green0star wrote:

I just find that its easier to not associate with intellectually inferior beings on that note. If someone is that ignorant to where they would even utter such nonsense then that person is not even worth your spit.

People are ignorant for a lot of reasons, lack of intellectual capacity is only one. Stubbornness, media portrayals and descriptions, repeated repetition of wrong claims on the internet and elsewhere etc.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

XenoMind
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2016, 10:49 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Stubbornness, media portrayals and descriptions, repeated repetition of wrong claims on the internet and elsewhere etc.

Just read the quotation about Christina above, it's from the "The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat" book. It's not about autism, but I feel that it matches my own situatuon perfectly.
People see that you're somehow different, they can't imagine themselves in your place, and they immediately switch to the hostile mode. Not everyone, but the vast majority of them.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2016, 5:02 pm

I think there is a fair degree of hostility on the Internet in general. People think that, by using an anonymous screen name, they can say anything they want. This site is pretty good now but, years ago, it started to become uncomfortable and I took a hiatus. One of the nastiest sites I visited was a tennis site. They said some truly nasty things about players they disliked and used offensive nicknames. They also used terms such as -tard (short for ret*d, an ugly word in my book) and called fans of certain players names like "Fedtard" (fan of Roger Federer) and "Nadaltard" (fan of Rafael Nadal). Such terms are offensive to legitimate fans of either player.

That being said, I'm not a believe in extreme "fandoms." I support my favorite players for my own personal reasons, not because I'm a member of some fanbase.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2016, 12:18 am

XenoMind wrote:
Do you think that the majority of people on the Internet are hostile toward autists?

No I don't think the average person is "hostile" but I do think the average person is ignorant (for the most part)

Sonikku
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

14 Dec 2016, 12:33 am

They pick it up in the way I post on forums...
I am often called a troll, but most often called a forum emo/special snowflake.
The way I write on many forums out there somehow gives them an inch into the door to insult me/attack my character and label me without fail, as having "issues"

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2016, 1:14 am

Should have an option for "dont know" because I dont frequent many sites besides this one.

At least one site is all about autism bashing: Kiwi Farms. Our "enemy site".

But the Net as a whole? I dunno. Older folks (like my age) dont have autism on their radar screen, and thus probably dont have any real attitude about it. But the younger generations are more aware of autism, and it wouldnt surprise me that many aware enough to be hostile, but not aware enough to not be hostile (if you get what I mean).

As someone said above there is a lot of hostility in general on the Net because folks with attitudes can hide behind the anonymity.

Shahunshah
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2016, 3:55 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Should have an option for "dont know" because I dont frequent many sites besides this one.

At least one site is all about autism bashing: Kiwi Farms. Our "enemy site".

But the Net as a whole? I dunno. Older folks (like my age) dont have autism on their radar screen, and thus probably dont have any real attitude about it. But the younger generations are more aware of autism, and it wouldnt surprise me that many aware enough to be hostile, but not aware enough to not be hostile (if you get what I mean).

As someone said above there is a lot of hostility in general on the Net because folks with attitudes can hide behind the anonymity.
Kiwi Forums. I am thinking about confronting them just to see what happens.

What is your experience of the site?

green0star
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2016, 8:42 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
green0star wrote:
XenoMind wrote:
green0star wrote:

People are ignorant for a lot of reasons, lack of intellectual capacity is only one. Stubbornness, media portrayals and descriptions, repeated repetition of wrong claims on the internet and elsewhere etc.

Yea unfortunately such problems are more comment then others.

CircusBear
Butterfly
Butterfly

14 Dec 2016, 9:54 am

There's a tumblr I used to follow (before i deleted my tumblr) where the author pointed out that no one ever bullied her for being "autistic". No, they would *never* do that. They bullied her for being weird, or "creepy", or unhygenic, or out of touch with current fashions. But not "autistic".

I would say that probably the majority of people on the internet (and in real life) will do the same- they will mock someone for autistic traits without recognizing the connection to autism. I would say it's the minority that openly mock autistic people, though.

XenoMind
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2016, 7:13 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Older folks (like my age) dont have autism on their radar screen, and thus probably dont have any real attitude about it.

The same mistake again and again...

XenoMind
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2016, 7:18 am

CircusBear wrote:
they will mock someone for autistic traits without recognizing the connection to autism.

Exactly.

CircusBear wrote:
I would say it's the minority that openly mock autistic people, though.

Because they can always do that in a more stealthy way.

diablo
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Dec 2016, 9:56 pm

I see hostility both directly and indirectly.

There's the common "don't be autistic" advice people give for dating and socialization (as if autism was something that could be turned off and on like a switch.

And I've seen cases where aspies get a little more respect when they come out with it, and then times where they still get rejected and treated harshly. Coming from people that are scumbags or people that just don't understand autism and maybe fear it? Not sure. TBH whenever I mention being on the spectrum on forums I tend to be ignored, as in people avoiding me. So I'm not someone that is "out" with their autism.
The hostility doesn't bother me as I've gotten to those years where you stop caring what everyone thinks about you.

But are most people on the internet hostile to autists? definitely not.

XenoMind
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2016, 11:24 am

diablo wrote:
TBH whenever I mention being on the spectrum on forums I tend to be ignored, as in people avoiding me. ..... But are most people on the internet hostile to autists? definitely not.

Huh.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2016, 3:03 am

I don't see how anyone could have knowledge of most Internet users' attitude toward autistic people.