Page 1 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Do you think that the majority of people on the Internet are hostile toward autists?
Yes 43%  43%  [ 34 ]
No 58%  58%  [ 46 ]
Total votes : 80

XenoMind
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2016, 6:11 am

Do you think that the majority of people on the Internet are hostile toward autists?

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2016, 5:07 pm

I voted no. Can you link to some webpages encouraged you to create this poll?

xile123
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Nov 2016, 6:21 pm

Yes, very much so. People are hostile towards Autistic people on the internet and in real life.

XenoMind
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2016, 10:41 am

redrobin62 wrote:
I voted no. Can you link to some webpages encouraged you to create this poll?

All of them. :wink:
Try asking "I'm an autist and have a workspace conflict" on StackExchange and watch a wide variety of answers from passive-agressive to straight out finger pointing.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2016, 11:00 am

There is a lot of hostility on the Internet even when autists are not involved.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2016, 12:04 pm

I voted no. The internet is a big place of millions of people and only the minority have autism. No one knows you have it unless you say you do and I don't see any discussions online from people being mean to someone with autism. Those are just a few places where people seem hostile towards self diagnosers or claiming people are faking it or people calling every self diagnosed sociopath an autist or using it as an insult to call someone stupid or when they don't agree with them.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

XenoMind
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2016, 10:19 pm

League_Girl wrote:
No one knows you have it unless you say you do

Everyone knows that you aren't like them. You don't have to say nothing.

Quote:
'I feel my body is blind and deaf to itself … it has no sense of itself-these are her own words. She has no words, no direct words, to describe this bereftness, this sensory darkness (or silence) akin to blindness or deafness. She has no words, and we lack words too. And society lacks words, and sympathy, for such states. The blind, at least, are treated with solicitude-we can imagine their state, and we treat them accordingly. But when Christina, painfully, clumsily, mounts a bus, she receives nothing but uncomprehending and angry snarls: 'What's wrong with you, lady? Are you blind-or blind-drunk?' What can she answer-'I have no proprioception'? The lack of social support and sympathy is an additional trial: disabled, but with the nature of her disability not clear-she is not, after all, manifestly blind or paralysed, manifestly anything-she tends to be treated as a phoney or a fool. This is what happens to those with disorders of the hidden senses (it happens also to patients who have vestibular impairment, or who have been labyrinthectomised).

Last edited by XenoMind on 22 Nov 2016, 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

22 Nov 2016, 10:50 pm

I think yes and no, the most hurtful nasty things are said on the internet but at the same time the internet is where most people come in contact with real people on the spectrum when the popular stereotype for a lot of Americans is still Rain Man so it goes both ways. Social media has made things a lot harder.

andrethemoogle
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2016, 5:34 pm

Yes, especially on social media and unsanctioned forums, as well as on Youtube with people using the word autism as an insult to people, as well as the R word.

God forbid we dare to speak and are shamed for being born on the spectrum. It's made me very wary of even doing ANYTHING on the internet.

green0star
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2016, 10:13 am

The only way they know is if you tell them although they still use "autistic" and "autism" to make something an insult so I would say yes.

Amebix
Toucan
Toucan

09 Dec 2016, 4:08 pm

I tentatively vote no. I do see "that's autistic" and similar insults thrown around online a lot, but I strongly suspect that's because people on the spectrum have a disproportionately large presence online. We have difficulties with body language, large groups, etc., all of which are non-issues online, plus many of us can sometimes withdraw socially. That can make the internet a very appealing place to interact with others. So I strongly suspect a lot of the people who throw around those insults are themselves on the spectrum, or have issues related to autism, so they say it because they're hyperaware of their own issues they face.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2016, 5:16 pm

League_Girl wrote:
. . . Those are just a few places where people seem hostile towards self diagnosers . . .
and in my early 50s, I do comfortably and easily self diagnose.

xDominiel
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

10 Dec 2016, 10:01 pm

From my experience, people on the Internet are pretty hostile in general. I've seen autism been used as an insult a lot.

XenoMind
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2016, 12:13 am

green0star wrote:
The only way they know is if you tell them

They don't need to know why they don't like you to don't like you.

Last edited by XenoMind on 11 Dec 2016, 12:16 am, edited 2 times in total.

XenoMind
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2016, 12:15 am

Amebix wrote:
So I strongly suspect a lot of the people who throw around those insults are themselves on the spectrum, or have issues related to autism, so they say it because they're hyperaware of their own issues they face.

The question was about "people on the Internet". Aren't Autists people as well?

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2016, 2:23 am

I always bring light to how insensitive their being, fore Hiding in the shadows won't work. At least in my opinion. I've noticed in all crowds different age groups are less hostile. The Children are more hostile, The teenagers are the most hostile, and Adults are the least, in General at least in the sites I'm on. I only go on a handful of websites though.
No, most people who through around insults about the disabled are abled. It's the abled majority who do that..