Thinking one word and typing an absolute different word

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Dommi
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

21 Nov 2016, 11:44 am

Recently I have had a problem where I think one word and another word is inserted into the convo instead or even a word or phrase that wasn't even supposed to be there was inserted. These arn't tiny things either. An example is that I was writing to a friend a serious message where every word mattered and I didn't think anything of the message after it, except that I was nervous of the outcome. Well, it appeared that I inserted the word "christmas" instead of "halloween" as a time frame and that ruined the whole convo. I wasn't even thinking of the word "christmas."

Another example is when I was writing a serious message to another friend where I thought the phrase: "this message is coming as a friend." And when I went to review the first line I read "this message is NOT coming as a friend." (the capital letters for emphasis). I removed the word not. But, why would I write that. She is one of my best friends.

I was wondering if this is common among people with high functioning autism?

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2016, 11:59 am

Dommi wrote:
Recently I have had a problem where I think one word and another word is inserted into the convo instead or even a word or phrase that wasn't even supposed to be there was inserted. These arn't tiny things either. An example is that I was writing to a friend a serious message where every word mattered and I didn't think anything of the message after it, except that I was nervous of the outcome. Well, it appeared that I inserted the word "christmas" instead of "halloween" as a time frame and that ruined the whole convo. I wasn't even thinking of the word "christmas."

Another example is when I was writing a serious message to another friend where I thought the phrase: "this message is coming as a friend." And when I went to review the first line I read "this message is NOT coming as a friend." (the capital letters for emphasis). I removed the word not. But, why would I write that. She is one of my best friends.

I was wondering if this is common among people with high functioning autism?
I always say one thing instead of the other frequently Yes instead of no, or can't instead of can. Stuff like that. Saying the wrong word to.

Dommi
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

21 Nov 2016, 12:27 pm

Does it happen when you are stressed out?

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2016, 1:20 pm

I sometimes have that problem. Also I sometimes misread something and I am convinced I read something that isn't what I thought it was on closer inspection. For example, I read something like "David Jones" but find that it's "Frank Jones" when I recheck. This is quite disconcerting when I realize what's going on. It seems to be related to fatigue or low blood sugar or high stress.

In general, my functioning seems to vary quite a lot. At times I am very sharp and can execute very complex sequences of tasks, operations or calculations with precision, but at other times I seem to become dull witted and incompetent. I generally try to postpone important activities while in the less functional end of the range. I am not sure what causes the variation, but stress, sleep deprivation and irregular food intake seem to contribute.

untilwereturn
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Nov 2016, 1:28 pm

I do this word substitution all the time, but usually just in speech. It seems to happen more often when I'm tired or distracted or just overwhelmed. I'll typically grab another, unrelated word recently uttered by the other party, and insert it where it clearly does not belong.

Occasionally it does generate confusion or conflict when I end up using a totally incorrect term. It's not a big deal when it's obviously wrong, but every now and then I'll end up stating the near opposite of what I meant to communicate.

(In writing, for some I'll often repeat words I just wrote in the same paragraph.)

My Official Facebook Page

Leahcar
Toucan
Toucan

21 Nov 2016, 2:51 pm

I have that problem as well. When I type something, I know exactly what I want to say but I initially end up writing gibberish. Sometimes I type absent-minded rubbish when trying to think of something to say or how to phrase something, which I go back and reword.

Sometimes it happens when I speak as well, which has landed me into a bit of trouble a couple of times, as people think I mean something completely different. :oops:

i_am_aspie
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 Nov 2016, 4:08 pm

Hello, I also do this when i am stressed. I seem to muddle up the order of word in a sentence and when i type i find all of a sudden i cant spell. I also completely forget what i am saying if i am interrupted. It is the fact that iI'm concentrating so hard on what i want to say and thinking if i am saying it right, using the right tone of voice and pulling the right facial expression that if i am interrupted I completely loose my place and need to be reminded of what i was saying before i can carry on. I also speak very fast when i am stressed and speak over people so i don't loose my place.

To answer your question, YES i think it is completely normal for a person with HFA to struggle with speaking, especially when we are stressed or under a lot of pressure. My advice is to try to slow down what you are saying and think of each word as you say it. If you have a good imagination perhaps you can teach yourself to visualize the sentence before you say it. Now if only i could learn to listen to my own advice!!

I wish you well :D

neurotypicalET
Toucan
Toucan

21 Nov 2016, 4:17 pm

Most of the time I misread sentences... Hear something else than the things that were said to me...and because of that I give the wrong answer because the questions that I received was wrong in the first place....but I've been only sleeping an average of 5 hours everyday for the past couple of months now..so that is definitely a major factor...

bowtruckle
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

Ashariel
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2016, 10:27 am

Yes. I find it's worst trying to write with a pen. What my brain thinks, and what my hand writes, are two entirely different things. Writing my monthly rent check requires intense focus, one letter at a time, don't screw this up!

Windstorm
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Dec 2016, 12:35 pm

This happens a bit for me when writing an emotional email or response. I'm typically thinking two or three sentences ahead of what I'm typing. A bad part about it is its hard to proof-read. I read what I think I've said, instead of the words I put down. And I usually spell the wrong word correctly so auto-correct doesn't trigger. I don't recall struggling verbally but I would guess it slips in once in a while. I rarely talk so that reduces the chances for error.

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2016, 1:07 pm

Things like this have happened, when I was drugged, sick, or physically exhausted.

Whether this applies to dementia or religious experiences, I believe that the conscious mind is a sort of filter, and requires a continual effort.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

01 Jan 2017, 3:20 am

I've always done that sometimes while writing/texting/typing & talking but I think it's related to my dyslexia.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

underwater
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2017, 3:46 am

It's started happening to me recently, but it only happened very rarely in the past. I find it very scary. And I particularly do it with numbers, like confusing 4 and 8. I don't understand why this is becoming such a problem now.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

01 Jan 2017, 4:09 am

underwater wrote:
It's started happening to me recently, but it only happened very rarely in the past. I find it very scary. And I particularly do it with numbers, like confusing 4 and 8. I don't understand why this is becoming such a problem now.
Are you taking any meds? My girlfriend started doing things like that more after she started psych meds.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2017, 4:19 am

Yes. :lol:

The odds of happening depends on my mood.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.