"Social Interaction Trainer" game with edgy autism jokes

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Silas 112
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Nov 2016, 4:04 pm

So this Steam game has been blowing up a bit recently since a bunch of big YouTubers played it including Markiplier, JackSepticEye and Game Grumps.

Am I being oversensitive when I say that I really don't find this kind of stuff funny? I feel like you COULD make it funny, but the trailer basically just says "hahah autistic people are dumb and cringy!". And this is the actual trailer they showcased on the Steam store, I feel like it wouldn't even be allowed if it was about any other minority.

The developer just generally seems like a really sh***y person. On top of all the autism and sexual harrassment jokes in the game, there is some conrtroversy about how one of the achievements are locked and the only way to unlock it is by donating to the developer via email. When people called him out on it the creator insulted them. This game is just all the stuff that's wrong with Steam right now.

xile123
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Nov 2016, 5:27 pm

Another fine example of how it's okay to bash Autistic people but literally every single other minority group out there gets about 50 thousand layers of special protection and treatment.

Barchan
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2016, 11:01 pm

I thought it was kinda funny. Distasteful perhaps, but sometimes you have to know when to laugh at yourself.

dcj123
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2016, 11:14 pm

0:04 of video,

I do participate in the weed emoticon market, thanks for asking 8)

Also lol :P

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2016, 7:33 am

Barchan wrote:
I thought it was kinda funny. Distasteful perhaps, but sometimes you have to know when to laugh at yourself.

True, but this, I think, is one of those cases where it goes more than a bit too far. Sometimes people make jokes like that which really are JUST jokes. Like banter between friends. THIS however just seems outright malicious.

Honestly, I freaking hate the internet sometimes. Well, okay, most of the time. ....All of the time.

whatamievendoing
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2016, 7:52 am

There would have been so many ways to go about making that trailer, and of all ways, the creator(s) went with "HURR DURR AUTISM"...

This is why I hate the Internet. I mean I'm okay with people joking about autism, but not when it's taken this far.

Scorpius14
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2016, 8:38 am

steam has become the modern auchwitz

Barchan
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2016, 10:50 am

whatamievendoing wrote:
There would have been so many ways to go about making that trailer, and of all ways, the creator(s) went with "HURR DURR AUTISM"...

"Hurr durr" is ableist humor. If you want people to respect your neurological condition, you shouldn't make light of those who vocalize involuntarily (which, ironically, many autistic people do).

Scorpius14 wrote:

Ha ha, seriously? Please don't compare your hurt feelings to the actual systematic oppression endured by racial minorities. Objectively speaking, all the trailer really implies about autistic people, is that they're socially awkward and slightly annoying. Insulting, but not really harmful.

At least, not as harmful as being told that you're a race of liars, swindlers, and saboteurs; that you're a bunch of drug-dealing rapists; that you want to stone rape victims and blow up buildings; that you're all deranged pedophiles who shouldn't be trusted around children; you're a low-class thug who steals bikes and kills cops; etc. etc. etc. etc.

Those are the kinds of stereotypes that hurt people. Those are the kinds of stereotypes that kill people. And those are the kinds of stereotypes used to rationalize and justify the institutional marginalization of billions of racial minorities, religious groups, LGBT people, and women. Compared to their struggles, the everyday life experience of an autistic white male is paradise.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2016, 9:49 pm

Barchan wrote:
Ha ha, seriously? Please don't compare your hurt feelings to the actual systematic oppression endured by racial minorities. Objectively speaking, all the trailer really implies about autistic people, is that they're socially awkward and slightly annoying. Insulting, but not really harmful.

At least, not as harmful as being told that you're a race of liars, swindlers, and saboteurs; that you're a bunch of drug-dealing rapists; that you want to stone rape victims and blow up buildings; that you're all deranged pedophiles who shouldn't be trusted around children; you're a low-class thug who steals bikes and kills cops; etc. etc. etc. etc.

Those are the kinds of stereotypes that hurt people. Those are the kinds of stereotypes that kill people. And those are the kinds of stereotypes used to rationalize and justify the institutional marginalization of billions of racial minorities, religious groups, LGBT people, and women. Compared to their struggles, the everyday life experience of an autistic white male is paradise.

Not quite.

If you think these stereotypes of autistics that are going around right now are that harmless and DONT cause massive depression and potential for suicide, well... you havent been on the internet long enough.

One reason why stuff like this video is so offensive is because of what it ACTUALLY means. If the creator has been around long enough to know that the autism-bashing is a major enough thing to use in a video like that, they also know what the ACTUAL meanings of it are. This kind of crap doesnt just imply that one is socially awkward... the internet would never, ever be content with an insult at such a low level. It implies that one is A: dumber than a sack of hammers B: ret*d (and that's a NASTY word these days, and very, very often used in conjunction with autism insults), C: completely incapable of accomplishing anything, D: useless, E: worthless, F: unable to ever get relationships going, G: has opinions and thoughts that arent worth listening to... this list goes on... and on... and on... and on... and on... and on... Like I said, the internet doesnt go for low-level insults. Only the worst will do, and they're repeated as often as possible. It may not be quite as bad as racism, but it's still pretty freaking awful. I've seen people get emotionally and mentally wrecked by this crap (particularly when it's done in-person, and it IS done in-person, not just on the Net). As in, shoved into deep depression, and deep depression is DANGEROUS. Like, "watch them for signs of suicidal intent" level of dangerous.

The trailer implies ALL of that crap, AND it goes waaaaaayyyyyyyy further than a simple insult delivered by text. It's no wonder that some people are seriously incensed about this one. Plenty of autistic individuals feel bad enough about themselves to begin with. Some are suicidal to start with. They dont need this kind of crap pushing them down even further.

As always though, morons like the video creator dont think of anyone but themselves. It's really a shame that other content makers are increasing sales of this one... this is one of those games that deserves to bomb REALLY HARD. Like, "creator goes out of business permanently" level of bombing.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2016, 4:20 pm

I thought it was disgusting and it makes me want to hunt down and MURDER whoever created it. :evil:

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2016, 11:54 am

Price tag, link please sounds like a worthy investment. I'll just edit the autism jokes out then use it to my advantage.

deafghost52
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Dec 2016, 3:55 pm

-_- Are you F***ING serious? Sorry, I mean...are you just F***ING serious right now? Wow, I'm glad I didn't watch Markiplier play this - I probably would have lost AAAALLLLLL respect for him, and I have quite a bit to spare for that guy. As soon as I saw the very name of the game when the thumbnail popped up for the first time in my recommendations tab, I thought "Ah, s***, this is gonna be an autism roast game, isn't it?" So I avoided it. And sure enough, my instincts served me right. I swear, society is reaching a whole new level of pathetic these days when it comes to how it treats people like us...

As a lot of people are saying on this thread, "There's a difference between being funny or laughing at oneself, and just being cruel."

-- Claude Debussy

dcj123
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2016, 4:07 pm

Why do people take trolling and things like this so seriously? I like crude humor in moderation, I mean if its personally targeting an individual or joking about like abuse or suicide or something then yeah that is too far but since when can society not handle what is clearly meant as humor? Same as that autistic video on the onion a while back, the more people get offended by this, the more likely people will make fun of this group or any group that says they are offended.

deafghost52
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Dec 2016, 4:18 pm

dcj123 wrote:
Why do people take trolling and things like this so seriously? I like crude humor in moderation, I mean if its personally targeting an individual or joking about like abuse or suicide or something then yeah that is too far but since when can society not handle what is clearly meant as humor? Same as that autistic video on the onion a while back, the more people get offended by this, the more likely people will make fun of this group or any group that says they are offended.

Yeah, but it seems like the developer was really trying hard to roast autism with this game (WARNING: AUTISM EPIDEMIC IN PROGRESS), whereas with the Onion skit to which you referred (which I really found quite funny, actually) they were just casually poking fun at the interesting quirks of autism, and not in a mean way. It had actual wit and humor involved in it, and was pretty tasteful I found. It was like if Monty Python did a skit on autism - it wouldn't come off cruel or insensitive, just witty and hilarious. I don't know, maybe I misinterpreted their intent, and they were simply making fun of people (like anti-vaccination people in California) who view autism as an epidemic, rather than targeting the autistic people themselves. Maybe the whole game is to poke fun at everyone, autistics and NTs alike. It still had a weird tone, though, and I don't think that that case is likely...

-- Claude Debussy

dcj123
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2016, 6:24 pm

deafghost52 wrote:
dcj123 wrote:

Yeah, but it seems like the developer was really trying hard to roast autism with this game (WARNING: AUTISM EPIDEMIC IN PROGRESS), whereas with the Onion skit to which you referred (which I really found quite funny, actually) they were just casually poking fun at the interesting quirks of autism, and not in a mean way. It had actual wit and humor involved in it, and was pretty tasteful I found. It was like if Monty Python did a skit on autism - it wouldn't come off cruel or insensitive, just witty and hilarious. I don't know, maybe I misinterpreted their intent, and they were simply making fun of people (like anti-vaccination people in California) who view autism as an epidemic, rather than targeting the autistic people themselves. Maybe the whole game is to poke fun at everyone, autistics and NTs alike. It still had a weird tone, though, and I don't think that that case is likely...

Fair enough on all points, I don't disagree and for the record the game does not interest me,

It could be I just don't see a clear line... possibly because of autism which is kind of ironic.

green0star
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2016, 9:52 am

Barchan wrote:
whatamievendoing wrote:

"Hurr durr" is ableist humor. If you want people to respect your neurological condition, you shouldn't make light of those who vocalize involuntarily (which, ironically, many autistic people do).

Scorpius14 wrote:

Somehow I am reminded of another autistic on another forum who went on and on about how "female autism is different then regularl autism" and then went on to call lower functioning autistics "ret*d". Ignorant people are ignorant and I don't have time for intellectual inferiors.

Fascinating how you sound like you are also black. While on the topic of stereotypes I can't tell you how many times when I'm in the store that females pull their purses behind them when I walk by o-o