Coverage for SKILLED Athletes with Autism

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

bloose78
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

25 Nov 2016, 11:49 pm

Just sort of a random thought and just decided to present my opinion and asking for yours. Just for some background info on me, I went to a medium-sized high school in the Midwest(about 1200 kids 9-12), I played football (O-line,sometimes D-Line) and threw shot put and discus for track. I was fairly good (probably could have done D3 football) and got to play about every play on offense Senior year and got in about half of Junior year.

It always grinds my gears when you hear the stories about "an autistic football player got to score a touchdown last night"(I do have autism btw). I believe that coaches will put these kids in the spotlight to make the school look good and get publicity. The way the news covers these stories makes autism look like a sympathy card than a challenge that we go through everyday. I believe the media makes us seem closer to dogs than the level of humans. But more importantly, they portray us as the ones that will never see the court, etc.

If the media really gave a crap, they would start covering excelling athletes in spite of their autism instead of falling into the sorry picture of the media. I just wish the media would cover stories of athletes that face the odds but still come through and rise to the occasion. Your thoughts?

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2016, 1:24 pm

I agree. I think it would be good to see a person who overcame the odds against him/her to succeed. One of the reasons I like Denis Istomin, a Russian-born Uzbek tennis player, is that he overcame a serious car accident to succeed on the ATP tennis tour. What happened to him doesn't define him as a person, which is how it should be.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2016, 10:34 am

I recently read about the Asia-Pacific tennis playoffs to determine who would get a wild card for the Australian Open. The finalists were Korean Duck-Hee Lee, who is deaf and Russian-born Uzbek Denis Istomin, who survived a serious car accident to make the ATP. The tournament was won by Istomin, with Lee getting into the AO as a qualifier. Nobody thought either man would ever make it on the tour, but both proved their doubters wrong. It should be interesting to watch events unfold next year.

Aspertastic424
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2016, 10:39 am

This is a great article! Thank you for posting, Aspertastic!

jcfay
Raven
Raven

19 Dec 2016, 2:08 pm

wow, that is a great article. 4 minutes and 7 seconds. that's incredible. of course, he's 17. and i wonder if he has a higher pain threshold?