Page 1 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

iCANTthinkOFaNAME
Raven
Raven

29 Nov 2016, 1:42 pm

Hello. When I was younger I used to insist that I had to wear the same underwear because the other materials upset me. You probably cringe, and I do too, but I had no awareness or thought of how unhygienic it really is and what people would think if they knew. At the moment I'm evidently in college and so I wear the same clothes in the same way every day (Only in 3 days a week) I mean they get washed but they must be there the next day or I will have nothing else to wear - does anyone else do this?
I mean I don't have any self awareness of what people think of me, although I do feel anxious when people look at me. I also have an impulse of wearing shorts under my trousers and their very obvious, someone even shouted it out. Pretty embarrassing

ArielsSong
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2016, 2:07 pm

I have favourite outfits that I wear much too frequently. Always washed, but generally I wear two outfits on rotation each week - often I wash overnight and wear again the next day.

I decided to simplify my life earlier this year. I packed away all of my old clothes. I bought the same outfit x 7.

I figured I dress for comfort and practicality anyway, and it's not like I'm wearing something different every day usually, so why not go all the way with the simplified wardrobe?

I managed about six weeks of that, maybe slightly longer. That was around the point I could see from people's reactions that they were noticing and it was coming across as a bit weird.

To people that I know, I justified it as being like Mark Zuckerberg - the theory that if you remove the morning choice of outfit, you're setting yourself up for better success because you're not wasting energy on unnecessary decisions. And it was nice not to have to think about what I would wear, and to just have it there ready to go, but I started to feel uncomfortable around people that I saw at least weekly.

Now, I'm back to having a wardrobe with roughly 20 different tops in, and wearing the same three on rotation. However, since that 'single wardrobe' phase, I have only ever worn the same trousers. I found comfortable trousers that I absolutely love, so I now wear those every day and simply make sure that any new top matches them.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2016, 2:11 pm

Well why would you dress in a way that embarrasses you?....probably wouldn't hurt to quit stuffing shorts under your trousers. I can't imagine how that would be comfortable anyways unless they were really baggy pants but I doubt that is the case if they're obvious.

Also maybe add a little bit of variation to your wardrobe, so you're not wearing identical outfits everyday...even if its the exact same style of clothes maybe at least get a couple different colors.

Kuraudo777
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2016, 2:23 pm

I usually wear the same thing for a few days and then change it a little. For instance, today I am wearing my kilt and t-shirt/sweater/vest combination, and I will wear the same thing tomorrow with a different t-shirt.

A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? That's why sometimes it can be mistaken and a different thing. But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel.” Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

iCANTthinkOFaNAME
Raven
Raven

29 Nov 2016, 2:28 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Well why would you dress in a way that embarrasses you?....probably wouldn't hurt to quit stuffing shorts under your trousers. I can't imagine how that would be comfortable anyways unless they were really baggy pants but I doubt that is the case if they're obvious.

Also maybe add a little bit of variation to your wardrobe, so you're not wearing identical outfits everyday...even if its the exact same style of clothes maybe at least get a couple different colors.

Because i feel the most comfortable in them. I'm very self concious anyway, and i can't quit wearing the shorts ugh i dont know how to tell you, it is very comfortable to me. It just makes me feel protected in some ways. Sometimes it's leggins (only on Monday's) the rest are jeggins. Well i have some same tshirts in a different colour, however it's cold so I don't take my hoodie off, so nobody can see the change. Thanks for the reply

iCANTthinkOFaNAME
Raven
Raven

29 Nov 2016, 2:31 pm

ArielsSong wrote:
I have favourite outfits that I wear much too frequently. Always washed, but generally I wear two outfits on rotation each week - often I wash overnight and wear again the next day.

I decided to simplify my life earlier this year. I packed away all of my old clothes. I bought the same outfit x 7.

I figured I dress for comfort and practicality anyway, and it's not like I'm wearing something different every day usually, so why not go all the way with the simplified wardrobe?

I managed about six weeks of that, maybe slightly longer. That was around the point I could see from people's reactions that they were noticing and it was coming across as a bit weird.

To people that I know, I justified it as being like Mark Zuckerberg - the theory that if you remove the morning choice of outfit, you're setting yourself up for better success because you're not wasting energy on unnecessary decisions. And it was nice not to have to think about what I would wear, and to just have it there ready to go, but I started to feel uncomfortable around people that I saw at least weekly.

Now, I'm back to having a wardrobe with roughly 20 different tops in, and wearing the same three on rotation. However, since that 'single wardrobe' phase, I have only ever worn the same trousers. I found comfortable trousers that I absolutely love, so I now wear those every day and simply make sure that any new top matches them.

Like you and your comfortable trousers, my outfit is deemed as comfortable. I mean, I can think now that I'd be able to change clothes but when it comes I'm in a routine and obviously changing it is gonna be really difficult, even if it's slightly embarrassing (no, I don't dwell on being embarrassed because i'm somewhat oblivious to that when I'm actually there)

EclecticWarrior
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2016, 8:01 pm

I usually wear the same trousers and shoes several days in a row and change only tops and undies. I'm very particular about clothes clashing though so I will change them earlier than anticipated if I feel they do.

WP's most sparkling member.

DX classic autism 1995, AS 2003, depression 2008

~INFP~

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2016, 11:46 pm

When I find an item I like in every way, ie, it fits, is comfortable, and I like how it looks, I go back and buy more of the same item if it's affordable. I buy different colors or even just more of the same color.

I totally relate to people who have decided to buy lots of copies of the same garments so that they don't have to worry about making choices of what to wear every day.

I tend to stick to just a few items I only ever wear, yet even those agonize me regarding choosing. I actually have a very nice, varied selection of clothes, but I still stick to just a few favorites. I like all the items in my wardrobe but I get agitated and agonized and anxious by any process of actually choosing what to wear. So I just wear a kind of regular uniform I've settled on.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2016, 8:01 am

I have lots of the same thing I wear everyday. Many identical pairs of underwear, socks, pants, shirts and hoodies. Like if it were a uniform. Colors vary to a degree, but are limited to shades of black, grey and navy blue.

Did you know Steve Jobs wore the same outfit every day for years? I'm sure he had zillions of pairs, but all were identical.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2016, 11:38 am

I only have one set of clothes which I've had for months - black pants, black sneakers, tie-dyed t-shirt, black hoodie, and blue underwear, all of them donated. I won't change any item until it starts falling apart.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2016, 11:39 am

Looking at Steve Jobs -- it makes life so much easier. I completely relate to the practicality of that.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2016, 11:46 am

Yep....Casual Fridays every day!

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2016, 11:58 am

iCANTthinkOFaNAME wrote:
Hello. When I was younger I used to insist that I had to wear the same underwear because the other materials upset me. You probably cringe, and I do too, but I had no awareness or thought of how unhygienic it really is and what people would think if they knew. At the moment I'm evidently in college and so I wear the same clothes in the same way every day (Only in 3 days a week) I mean they get washed but they must be there the next day or I will have nothing else to wear - does anyone else do this?
I mean I don't have any self awareness of what people think of me, although I do feel anxious when people look at me. I also have an impulse of wearing shorts under my trousers and their very obvious, someone even shouted it out. Pretty embarrassing

Yeah. I never change my clothes if my father doesn't make me. Unless I take a shower.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2016, 12:01 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Yep....Casual Fridays every day!
Haha yep!

Of course, it helps though, when you're the CEO and can't get fired for unconventional attire at work! :lol:

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2016, 1:37 pm

Not meaning to be sexist or whatever, but I think clothes are a lot easier for men than women. Especially business attire. A man wears a shirt, tie and basically the same kind of suit as all the other men. I mean that's not much a of a challenge. Women I believe are expected to wear a different unique outfit every day.

And I'm sure at school also, if a girl wore basically the same t-shirt, cargo pants and hoodie like I do everyday, she would get bothered about it.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2016, 5:53 pm

^ I'm old fashioned I guess because I think they should institute uniforms in school. EVERYONE wears the same thing every day. No excuses.