Should I let my friends know about my AS?

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

bloose78
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

29 Nov 2016, 10:11 pm

I am a sophomore at a fairly big school(15,000 students roughly), I just want to know if it's a good idea to tell my friends about my Autism. Yes, I am high-functioning and they are all NT to my understanding. I party with them all of the time but I don't think they fully understand me as a person. I think they understand for the most part I'm a bit off but I don't know how good of an idea it is to tell them that. And before anyone asks, I'm not romantically interested in anyone from my party people lol.

r.steiner4
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Nov 2016, 3:00 am

I think it would absolutely be appropriate to tell your friends. However, I would be very selective about who you consider a "friend." If you feel as though these people do not "understand" who you actually are, I would wait a while before divulging anything as personal as a diagnosis.

Aspertastic424
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Dec 2016, 2:59 am

Tell them for sure. If they are your friends they will understand.

thisismeemilyb
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 Jan 2017, 8:18 am

You can tell them if you want but honestly most neurotypicals don't know what to do with that info so you're better off not saying anything.

FreakyZettairyouiki
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

25 Jan 2017, 9:32 am

thisismeemilyb wrote:
You can tell them if you want but honestly most neurotypicals don't know what to do with that info so you're better off not saying anything.

Totally agree with this. Most people don't know I have aside from my immediate family and I prefer to keep it that way. There are people that think autism is worse than cancer or they don't even know what it is so the minute you tell them, they won't know what to do or how to handle it and they might end up treating you condescendingly. It's up to if you trust them but personally I wouldn't even tell my closest friend. That's just how I am.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

25 Jan 2017, 9:40 am

I would not unless you think they have an understanding of the spectrum, otherwise I wouldn't expect a good outcome. Young guys you party with? Definitely don't.

Caesar
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2017, 12:31 pm

Definitely! I told my class about it when we had to do a presentation about ourselves, although I might not have explained it properly but I'm glad I did it and it makes college easier knowing that I have autism but I feel like I need to do another presentation in which I explain everything a with more details