Struggling in School, where do I turn?

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

wrongcitizen
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2016, 2:52 am

I know that the title sounds like every other post so sorry about that. Basically I just need help. Tutors don't help for the same reason that teachers don't. I have been asked if I am deaf as about 40% of the words that people (teachers) say don't register with me. Since I process information word for word I have a hard time keeping up with their pace. I'm simply too damn slow! I don't know where to turn and I honestly want someone to talk to without coming across as an attention seeking person, which you can call me if you must, but then I will just withdraw more. I am basically lost and extremely frustrated with both myself and the very backwards, very overly conservative/traditional school system (I don't mean politically for any of you who are conservative). I try desperately hard to keep up and try to communicate but I just get nasty haughtiness from teachers who believe I am stuttering because I am too disorganized. I literally stutter and they tell me to get lost and come back when I can explain and as a result I can never tell them what I am experiencing. They also ask me what I should do about it and I am just thinking in my head "YOU KNOW THE DAMN ******* ANSWER TO THAT *****! !" in my head almost every time I get insulted by them.

Again I apologize and I don't want for this to sound like a 2 year-olds tantrum but I genuinely need help and I don't know where to turn or what to do and who to talk to who won't just act as another tutor. I need a new class environment. If this helps I was diagnosed with severe OCD at a young age and not Asperger's until slightly later, but we chose never to reveal it to my school because we were afraid that they would force medications (And rightfully so because they did and do, and the side effects are ravishing), but I am wondering if I need to just ask to be sent to the special education area because I literally cannot do it. It is destroying me knowing that I am trying as best as I can and still ending up a complete failure.

Alright how have you been? I have to say that because I feel way to self centered after writing that crap.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2016, 3:05 am

I'm not a neurologist, but what you're describing sounds like auditory processing disorder.

It's not something that you could be medicated for, so I think you should get that recognized/diagnosed as your condition and then notify the school, so some of the teachers or staff can be educated about it. You don't want to end up labeled as mentally ret*d by the school -- an auditory processing disorder is not a cognitive deficit, it's a neurological condition that affects how the brain processes sound. It seems that the school hasn't spotted this, or is ignorant of it, so it's up to you to educate them.

There Are Four Lights!

DataB4
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2016, 3:10 am

You mentioned problems with verbal instructions and speaking to teachers on the spot. Are things better in writing? What happens if you read aloud what you want to say? Or if a teacher or tutor writes notes about their answer?

wrongcitizen
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2016, 3:06 am

DataB4 wrote:
You mentioned problems with verbal instructions and speaking to teachers on the spot. Are things better in writing? What happens if you read aloud what you want to say? Or if a teacher or tutor writes notes about their answer?

I'm far better in writing especially when allowed to write what I like. Also I am very good, probably the best at reading out loud as I don't falter and am very good at enunciating something clearly. I struggle with someone else's notes and handwriting, as I can't even read mine.