Would it be not wise to delete my Facebook account?

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

LimboMan
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Dec 2016, 11:35 am

I just want to hear other's opinions about in this social media age, whether it is justifiable for an adult in their 20s and above, not to have a Facebook account. I've had my fair share of accounts on the site but I positively dread going on them but I only do it because to meekly "connect" with others in my life. But I do not have any family on there I keep in touch with, and I do not have many friends in real life and I use it very antisocially, ironic as its a social network :P .
The weird paradox is though I do want to have more a social life because I do feel quite lonely at times, but I feel completely disconnected on the Facebook platform. I do not use it much anyway because I have quite a lot of social anxiety about what I write and post, and I get very concerned about privacy. To connect with others I would feel more comfortable using different messengers or sharing content through SMS, rather than so much content all at once on Facebook.

So I've opted in to permanently delete my account and have to wait 2 weeks. I know people who are older they can likely get away with not having an account but is there anyone in teens or 20s that dosen't have account for similar reasons? I can't help but feel what judgments would be made of me if I am not on there, like employers, future partners etc.
But the site makes me feel bad all time so I should focus on things which I enjoy.. right?
I know it probably should be such a big deal, but it just concerns me!

dcj123
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2016, 11:46 am

I did facebook twice and both ended in ways that would be considered a rant if I gave details but I would say its very normal to be against social media, my family hates it as a whole. I know people in my apt building that "don't do social media".

Delete and enjoy life 8)

crystaltermination
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2016, 7:25 pm

If you get nothing positive from it, deleting your account could be a good idea. I kept my own account deactivated for years, and nowadays I only use it because its simply the easiest method of contacting my older siblings, who live away.

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2016, 10:05 pm

You can't permanently delete your Facebook account as far as I know, you can only deactivate it. Facebook sucks anyway.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

03 Dec 2016, 10:57 pm

I don't have Facebook & I never got into any other social media other than having a MySpace account around the time MySpace started dying. I deleted that years ago. Most of the people on my friends list were people I never even chatted with who wanted to add me for some reason I don't know. Not using social media hasn't caused any problems for me. My parents don't use it & I'm an only child. Some other members of my family do but I never had a close relationship with anyone in my family including my parents. I never made many friends & the few i made never really wanted to stay in touch with me anyways except one & we text occasionally.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

DataB4
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2016, 11:01 pm

If you're not really using it, you could delete and recreate or bring back if you decide you need it. Unless your job requires social media, you could just say you strongly dislike the Facebook site and be done with it.

Are there any reasons why you think you should keep it?

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2016, 8:39 pm

I think the more people -- particularly of the OP's age -- who stand up and say "No I don't have an account and I think that site and the culture it creates is actually very problematic," the better.