Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

alex
Developer
Developer

05 Dec 2016, 1:02 am

The first season was incredible. I think it would appeal to a lot of autistics. It's so good that I've watched it multiple times.

http://www.hbo.com/westworld

BaalChatzaf
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2016, 7:47 pm

alex wrote:
The first season was incredible. I think it would appeal to a lot of autistics. It's so good that I've watched it multiple times.

If find it unscientific. It is going to be another "mysterious" series, like "Lost". I preferred the original Westworld, which was a straight up science fiction tale. I prefer series and motion pictures that make sense, even if the science fiction is at odds with known science. I can watch Star Trek, DS-9, Battlestar Gallactica (the remake) even though they assume faster than light speed is possible to ordinary mass.

alex
Developer
Developer

06 Dec 2016, 4:46 pm

BaalChatzaf wrote:
alex wrote:

If find it unscientific. It is going to be another "mysterious" series, like "Lost". I preferred the original Westworld, which was a straight up science fiction tale. I prefer series and motion pictures that make sense, even if the science fiction is at odds with known science. I can watch Star Trek, DS-9, Battlestar Gallactica (the remake) even though they assume faster than light speed is possible to ordinary mass.

How much of it have you watched? It really is nothing like Lost. The science so far seems to be pretty sound.

fourcandles
Raven
Raven

06 Dec 2016, 6:02 pm

I've just finished watching the final episode. Loved every minute of it. The Man in Black's big revelation had me laughing like a maniac! Also, the meaning behind the maze is going to give me something to chew on for a while.

I don't want to say any more (spoilers!), but this is the best TV science fiction I've seen in a long time.

TornadoEvil
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2017, 1:48 am

In terms of being unrealistic from an enginerring standpoint...

Sapient androids with silicon integrated circuits would be rather far fetched. Current technologies are ramming headlong into fabrication and scaling issues. There is no way you could simply and understandably code something like that. AI learning algorithyms have been advancing spectacularly, but replacing billions on billions of neurons? Good luck. Programmable logic currently tops out at a million digital look up tables, and placing and routing takes hours upon hours and working sets in tens of gigabytes from well defined code. It takes 20 years for a human to reach maturity too. Modern silicon is a way faster than biochemical processes though.

I wouldn't count on our new mechanical overlords having the earth's best interests in mind either.

Dolores for president 2020

flownawy
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

17 Feb 2017, 10:19 am

i did not liked it the first time, but then come warm with the idea.

i watched the whole season and it was nothing special in the end, was good, but not good as the imdb rating is, it's all faked.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2017, 6:56 pm

My wife and I love that show. We especially enjoyed the twists and surprises, such as William and the true identity of the man in black, and of course, the revelation about the the robotech wiz, Bernard.

MisterSpock
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2017, 6:40 am

I liked it. But... The final minutes did not seem to necessarily be the next logical step; it seemed 0 to sixty, with little in between. Yes, I can see why they took action, but not really why they took they action they did.

Dolores was slow-walked to someone else's "redemption". Yes, there were revelations, but it was all still part of the plan. I don't think she really did find the centre of the maze, or the"prize" was never real, just an approximation. I think the next season (which of course will be commissioned if it hasn't been already) will still be a search for the centre.

TornadoEvil
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2017, 2:04 am

MisterSpock wrote:
I liked it. But... The final minutes did not seem to necessarily be the next logical step; it seemed 0 to sixty, with little in between. Yes, I can see why they took action, but not really why they took they action they did.

Dolores was slow-walked to someone else's "redemption". Yes, there were revelations, but it was all still part of the plan. I don't think she really did find the centre of the maze, or the"prize" was never real, just an approximation. I think the next season (which of course will be commissioned if it hasn't been already) will still be a search for the centre.

The final episode's title was "The Bicarnal Mind," which is a pretty big hint. Ford (the character) talked about how if they (hosts) heard the voice of there creators the could eventually replace it with their own internal monologue, or just go mad. Like in stead of taking the path or choice which is most obvious at the moment and going with the flow, and trusting that a different choice could be correct. Still deterministic but perhaps at a higher level. Or just realize that nothing makes any sense in what they are doing or why they are doing things and go mad. That can allways happen. Having someone practically with complete control over you, not at a "Bad things will happen if I don't listen" level, but a "they said it so it must be true" level is absolutely terrifying, and can break things.

KyleTheGhost
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2017, 6:24 am

I've just started watching and I am enjoying it.

I also have seen the movie.